AWA 2011 Pro Video Discussion Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Re: AWA 2011 Pro Video Discussion Thread

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:57 pm

I've been well aware of the Pro recomendation for new videos. However I never tend to submit them because due to the way the con season falls AWA is at the tail end of it so my videos are done LONG before AWA because they have to get completed for cons that occure three or four months earlier. Trying to submit new videos would mean either completley altering my editing schedule to accomodate or when I finish my videos for cons like AX I'd finish them but not submit them till almost a year later. I generally do not like the idea of submitting videos that are over a year old to anything so I'll avoid it.

I stay silent on the matter because since AWA and the west coast cons attract different editors generally there isn't a high chance that the people that are watching the AWA pro vids actually saw the AX AMV contest to know which videos were mine should they make it in.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:32 pm

masters also requires the editor to have won an award to enter... pro does not (two people withdrew from masters when they realized this, as they were new editors and had not won anything)
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:40 pm

I can't be the only one who reserves certain AMV ideas specifically for Masters because there's perceived to be a higher standard, instead of just sending in whatever I have that's new, right?

Case in point, I had nowhere near enough time this summer to make the video I'd intended for Masters. So now I have to wait until 2013 to do it (or at least to release it) because I don't have any other ideas I consider Masters-worthy.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:21 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Fall_Child42 wrote:I sure hope Chuck's video wins. I voted for it and it certainly deserves it!
Which one was that?
Video #11
I'm really amazed at the positive feedback my video got in this thread. It means a lot to me considering it's been over 2 1/2 years since I last finished a whole video.
Last edited by macchinainterna on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 pm

Scintilla wrote:I can't be the only one who reserves certain AMV ideas specifically for Masters because there's perceived to be a higher standard, instead of just sending in whatever I have that's new, right?

Case in point, I had nowhere near enough time this summer to make the video I'd intended for Masters. So now I have to wait until 2013 to do it (or at least to release it) because I don't have any other ideas I consider Masters-worthy.
I decided to send one in 2 weeks before the deadline, haha...that said, I had already been working on the video and was going to make it for convnetions next spring. I had a rough cut done prior to deciding to enter, and I decided it was good enough to finish for Masters, but unfortunately some things came up that ate up some of my time so I wasn't able to tweak the video at all after finishing it. I spent about a week after submitting it making adjustments (although most of it won't be noticeable).
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Scintilla wrote:I can't be the only one who reserves certain AMV ideas specifically for Masters because there's perceived to be a higher standard, instead of just sending in whatever I have that's new, right?

I don't submit to master unless I have and idea for a video that I think would be masters-worthy as well. I think i've only ever entered it once... that or I was planning on it but ended up not finishing in time.

LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Post by LantisEscudo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Pwolf wrote:

I don't submit to master unless I have and idea for a video that I think would be masters-worthy as well. I think i've only ever entered it once... that or I was planning on it but ended up not finishing in time.
I've been holding on to one particular Master's idea for four cycles now. I just can't seem to find the time to sit down and work the whole thing out. I still haven't entered Master's yet because I haven't thought my work on the ones I'd been working on at the time were Masters-Worthy.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:37 pm

Props to you guys for being able to hold onto ideas for that long...I would have already made it and sent it to something else if I had that good of an idea and Masters wasn't happening that year...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 am

I wasn't actually planning on entering masters this year. Long story short i came up with something that i felt was worth it really just out of the blue.

Last masters does need entries there's a reason its every 2 years now. They weren't getting enough every year.

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 am

I'm one of those people who submitted something that had won elsewhere. I'm sorry. Please don't hate me. :(

I'd never entered AWA before, because I never thought that I really had anything worthy of the pro contest. Then this year a couple friends asked me if I would be entering, and I realized that I actually thought my video was good enough, so I submitted. I really loved the idea of peer judging - I wanted to see what other EDITORS thought of my video, not just the convention audiences.

In addition, I have a full-time job and many, many outside hobbies other than AMV editing, so I usually only make one or two videos a year these days. AB's my "priority" convention, since it was my first anime con and all, so I always submit my best stuff there first. I would hate to not be able to compete in this contest in the future, but I guess if I had to make a choice between this and AB, AB would win out. :(
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

Return to “AMV Contests”