Anime Mid Atlantic AMV contest WINNERS!

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Re: Anime Mid Atlantic AMV contest WINNERS!

Postby SammySamaProductions » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:25 am

I'd take ke$ha over Taylor swift any day.
ImageImage
ImageImage
SammySamaProductions

Postby drewaconclusion » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:57 am

HalOfBorg wrote:Regarding the laughing at the Annoying videos - I thought they were supposed to be annoying, as in torturous, painful to watch. Don't funny videos belong in the comedy section?

Or are Funny/Annoying ones better?

Well, to be honest, when I was making Red Ring of Epic Zoom I wasn't intending it to be taken so comedically (with the exception of the xbox gag, which I meant as a reprieve). Not that I mind that it was. I honestly thought people would be squirming in their seats after the first minute. I showed this to several people (mostly my family :ying: ) and got an almost universal response of "Please turn it off". Not that that actually answers your question; but there are plenty of things out there that are annoyingly funny.
Image ImageImageImage Image
Image Image Image
drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...

Postby HalOfBorg » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:00 pm

Annoying, like comedy and just about everything is relative I guess. What makes me furious in moments makes someone else giggle I guess.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
HalOfBorg

Postby Warlike Swans » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:35 pm

Brakus wrote:
Deuce Loosely wrote:COMEDY
98 (48) MysteriousRyder - "Death Romance" - BEST IN SHOW

* Note to MR: How do you feel about your decision to change categories now? :P

To MysteriousRyder: Be prepared, becase your video is going to be just like the controversy with Nightowl Studios' "Love Is Flowers" from about 10 years ago.

I liked your video, but to me it's not a comedy. (And just because a video has yaoi content doesn't automatically mean that it's a comedy. When will people ever realize that?) If your video truly is a drama video, then it should ideally compete in the category that you intended it to compete in. Of course we can't control whether the coordinator will allow it to compete in the intended category, or if others in pre-judging believe that it should be in a different category.

Having finally seen the video I have to say I'm kinda disturbed by anyone who found this funny. I was expecting something that was primarily romance and had aspects of comedy.... but this wasn't even vaguely comedic.
Warlike Swans

Postby Rider4Z » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Brakus wrote:I liked your video, but to me it's not a comedy. (And just because a video has yaoi content doesn't automatically mean that it's a comedy. When will people ever realize that?)

i'm kinda jumping in outta the blue here but can you really call this a yaoi vid? Light and L aren't really a couple and everyone knows it. that's what makes it ironic and therefore funny.
Warlike Swans wrote:Having finally seen the video I have to say I'm kinda disturbed by anyone who found this funny. I was expecting something that was primarily romance and had aspects of comedy.... but this wasn't even vaguely comedic.

the atmosphere of a live audience is much different than viewing at home. and when you're surrounded by people with such a high energy your view of a video can subconsciously change one way or another. i found it quite entertaining at fanime and ax, and so did the rest of the crowd.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby Warlike Swans » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Entertaining and comedic are not synonymous. Hopefully ALL the amvs were entertaining.

I've studied social psych, I have a reasonable comprehension of group dynamics... I have to say though I'm even more distrubed if alot of people found this funny.
Warlike Swans

Postby Rider4Z » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:Entertaining and comedic are not synonymous. Hopefully ALL the amvs were entertaining.

I've studied social psych, I have a reasonable comprehension of group dynamics... I have to say though I'm even more distrubed if alot of people found this funny.

:beer: cheers
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby Warlike Swans » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Rider4Z wrote: :beer: cheers

:beer: to entertaining AMVs!
Warlike Swans

Postby Hagaren Viper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:17 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:Entertaining and comedic are not synonymous. Hopefully ALL the amvs were entertaining.

'Disturbed' is a weird word to use here. I agree that it wasn't really a comedy video, but I can see why people would vote for it regardless.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hagaren Viper

Postby Warlike Swans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:'Disturbed' is a weird word to use here. I agree that it wasn't really a comedy video, but I can see why people would vote for it regardless.

I'm not disturbed that people like the video, I'm disturbed that they found it funny.

It seems to me that people were laughing off something that they are uncomfortable with; a homosexual couple. (I don't think the surprise of Light x L is enough to keep people laughing for 5 minutes.) I don't know whether the people voted for it in comedy because it was their favorite video grouped in comedy or because they found it the funniest (since it won best in show by a large margin, it could just be the former).... But if a lot of people were laughing it means a lot of them are uncomfortable with homosexuality, and that's disturbing.
Warlike Swans

Postby Deuce Loosely » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:01 pm

I think too much thought is being put into this.
You should have heard the debate behind the scenes over "Give It All."
I told those who initiated it there wasn't all that they were reading into it.
The con chair and board agreed and so did the viewers.

Light, in this case, didn't want to be part of this "relationship" with L and fought him throughout the entire video until the very end where he resolved the issue.
It was a very well put together video.
Maybe the concept is kinda played out (thanks largely to fanfic) but this video's technical / artistic merits and the way it stuck to the story made it solid.
There was also more comedic value and conflict than romance.

No one can say what people will find funny from one year to the next but no one is gonna vote on something they feel "uncomfortable" with.
The laughter was certainly genuine, as I myself found more amusement with it with each viewing.
I'll admit I didn't care much for it in the beginning in terms of concept (and I abstained from scoring any video for the preliminary screening) but it grew on me.
Bottom line: the viewers made their choice.
AMV Showdown Coordinator
Katsucon (2012-2014) - Zenkaikon (2013-present) - Anime Mid Atlantic (2011-2013) - Nekocon (2013)
AMV Asst DH
Tekko (2014)
AMV Programming
Ichibancon (2014)
Deuce Loosely

Postby Hagaren Viper » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:08 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:I think too much thought is being put into this.
You should have heard the debate behind the scenes over "Give It All."
I told those who initiated it there wasn't all that they were reading into it.
The con chair and board agreed and so did the viewers.

Im suddenly very interested XD
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hagaren Viper

Postby Warlike Swans » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:33 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:
Light, in this case, didn't want to be part of this "relationship" with L and fought him throughout the entire video until the very end where he resolved the issue.
It was a very well put together video.
Maybe the concept is kinda played out (thanks largely to fanfic) but this video's technical / artistic merits and the way it stuck to the story made it solid.
There was also more comedic value and conflict than romance.

1: I'm not disparaging the video.
2: What is funny if it has so much comedic value?
3: Think about it. Are you really suggesting that only mutual love can fall under the romance category?
(honestly though I have little opinion as to whether this video should be categorized as romance, drama or upbeat)

Deuce Loosely wrote:No one can say what people will find funny from one year to the next but no one is gonna vote on something they feel "uncomfortable" with.
The laughter was certainly genuine, as I myself found more amusement with it with each viewing.
I'll admit I didn't care much for it in the beginning in terms of concept (and I abstained from scoring any video for the preliminary screening) but it grew on me.
Bottom line: the viewers made their choice.

No one can say what people will find funny because often times people don't know themselves what they will find funny or why. I never said the laughter wasn't genuine. I certainly never meant to imply that people were aware that they were laughing because they are consciously rendered nervous by homosexuality. Laughter would be a poor defensive mechanism if people remained conscious of their underlying fears.

I don't care what people voted for. I am allowed to be disturbed by what other people find funny if I see a disturbing underlying social problem.

I'm sorry for coming off so contentiously. I feel like I should fix what I wrote before posting it... but I can't bring myself to.
Warlike Swans

Postby Rider4Z » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:01 am

Warlike Swans wrote:I don't care what people voted for. I am allowed to be disturbed by what other people find funny if I see a disturbing underlying social problem.

I'm sorry for coming off so contentiously. I feel like I should fix what I wrote before posting it... but I can't bring myself to.

i'll try to be careful with my words cuz i don't want to offend you. i don't think people are laughing at the homosexuality aspect of it. if it was intended to be a serious video then i guarantee the audience wouldn't laugh. but because it was in the comedy category they knew that it wasn't to be taken seriously. it was funny because there is no yaoi in the actual Death Note anime. but the faces L makes at Light (with no romantic intentions in mind) are a perfect set up to be exploited.

i found it funny simply because it's L and Light, and a romantic relationship between those two is completely ridiculous. (except for in fan fiction obviously.)
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby HalOfBorg » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 am

So often in this discussion it almost seems as if people are discussing my "Lost Episode" video. Change the names and I'd never know. :)
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
HalOfBorg

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests