Youmacon 2011 Music Video Contest Rules
Please read through all the rules before entering!Entry Requirements:
• All videos must be in the hands of the Contest Coordinator by October 7th, 2011. You have until MIDNIGHT on that Friday night to get your video in. (all times Eastern)
• Only videos created after November 4th 2008 will be accepted as competing entries. All others will be deemed exhibition entries.
• There is no limit to the number of entries per creator that can be submitted to the contest.
• Only 1 video per category, per creator, will be allowed to compete.
• Creators may choose to submit videos for exposition, aka, non competing. Competing entries will be given priority over exposition entries however.
• Videos that have been submitted to a previous Youmacon Contest will not be eligible to compete.
• Multi-editor videos are also accepted. When filling out the entry form please supply information for the other members in the comments field.
• Entries may not contain bumpers, title screens, MTV style credits, or any other form of identification. We will be creating our own uniform bumpers and we will not remove them for you.
o This rule may be overlooked if such identification is done creatively in a way that can not be easily removed. However this, like all other rules, is left to the coordinator’s discretion.
• The running time for videos may not exceed 6 minutes or be shorter then 25 seconds. All others will be accepted at Exhibition entries.
• By submitting your video(s) to this contest you authorize us to screen and distribute it under the Youmacon Music Video Contest Title. All physical media (CD-R, DVD-R, Thumb drive, ect) submitted becomes the property of Youmacon Enterprises and will not be returned.
• There are no content requirements for this contest. Your videos may contain any type of footage you see fit to use, provided it doesn’t fall into one of the categories for disqualification.
• Entries may be disqualified for the following reasons:
o Objectionable content in the song or video
o Bad audio or video quality
o Subtitled footage
o Failure to adhere to submission rules
o Lack of entry form
o Or any reason Youmacon VAT Staff deems necessary.
If you are unsure if your video would be disqualified due to the above rule e-mail the contest coordinator and we can view the content of your video and make a decision.
A special stipulation is in place for entries DQ’ed due to content of their video being too much for a general audience. Such entries will automatically be submitted to the Hentai Competition and shown during our late night blocks.
• Exceptions to the rules will be made on a video-by-video basis.Entry Format:
• Entries will ONLY be accepted in the following formats:
o H.264 / x.264 (preferred)
.mp4 files ONLY
• The following containers, formats and codecs will NOT be accepted:
o Videotape (VHS or Betamax)
o Authored DVD (If it plays like a DVD in a DVD Player)
• All videos should include at least 1 second of black space before and after the video.
• Digital Video File format specifications:
o Videos will be played on a large projection screen. As such, high quality will be expected. For the best results submitting a video that has at least a 640x480 resolution is required (or 640x352 if you are working with widescreen footage.) Submitting videos smaller then this (including using source smaller then this) will degrade the visual quality of the video, which may lead to disqualification.
• We gladly accept HD videos. Our setup at the convention will be able to display videos at least at 720p quality with the possibility to display higher resolutions.
o If you plan to submit an HD video please keep in mind that the better the codec you use the better the final quality will be. HD videos should not be sent in using mpeg2.Contest Information:
• The contest will be shown either via a computer directly to the projector or via an authored DVD if such a need arises. Those of you submitting via MPEG2 will benefit from following the DVD specifications outlined: http://contests.ngsilver.com/youmacon/s ... ations.htm
• All videos not selected for exhibition or disqualified will compete.
• Information on showings in rooms other then the VAT will be announced when they are figured out.
• All entries will be shown at the convention during designated times in the VAT room. Exhibition entries will be shown during Freeplay blocks provided no room is available in the Contest showing blocks.
• The following awards will be given:
o Fan Favorite
o Best of Show
o Staff Pick
o Best Action
o Best Drama
o Best Romance
o Best Comedy
o Best Dance
o Best Upbeat
o Best Other
o Most Original Concept
o Best Staff
o Various Judges Awards/Honorable Mentions
• If you are curious as to how judging will work this year you may contact the coordinator for more information.
• You do not need to be present to win. However the fastest means of receiving your award will be to either be present or have a proxy at the con to pick your award(s) up for you.
o If you will have a proxy at the con to accept your award(s) send an email to the contest coordinator with the name of your proxy.
o The convention will mail out awards after the con to those who did not pick them up at con. The timeframe these will be sent is entirely based on availability of funds for shipping by the convention and may take up to a few months.
The convention regrets to inform you that this courtesy can only be extended to entrants in the United States. All international entrants will need to make arrangements with the coordinator in order to receive their award(s).
• You may submit entries to the following categories:
Videos in this category seek to evoke emotional responses from viewers by the successful combination of music, video, and editing which usually involves dramatic subject matter or dramatic elements from the anime.
This category encompasses all other category of videos. Trailers, Horror, Internet Meme, ect. If it doesn’t fit in another category, it fits in here.
Dance videos are ones that incorporate sync and style that goes hand in had with a song meant to be danced to. These tend to be highly technical, and often sync and move to the beat.
Music Videos in the upbeat category are uplifting and have a beat that one can groove to.
Whether parody or just wacky content, videos in this category can be pretty successful as long as someone thinks it’s funny.
Videos here are much like drama, except they focus on the relationships between two people. The aww factor plays heavily in this category.
Videos will focus on action whether that is fighting sequences, motions of characters, or fast paced colorful imagery. The key word here is adrenaline.
If you are Youmacon staff this is the only category you are allowed to compete in.
Videos in this category do not compete for awards. They are there purely to be shown off to the masses at the con.
• In the case where a lack of entries are present in a category in order to compete, those videos will then be added to a similar category. Ex, Romance added to Drama, Upbeat added to Action.
o 2 or more videos will be required in each category for the category to compete.Entry Submissions:
• We will be employing a Contest Database system for keeping track of entries. The system will be used to fill out entry forms, request priority seating at the contest, request ftp information, view status of entries, and much more.
• All entries must contain an entry form. Those submitting multiple entries will need to submit a form for each video.
o The Database can be found here: http://contests.ngsilver.com/login.htm
If you already have an account you do not need to make a new one, even if you have never submitted to Youmacon before. Simply log in and make sure your creator information is up to date.
• FTP will be available upon request. Requests will be made via the database. Go to the Video Status area after filling out an entry form and click on the Request FTP Access link for each individual video. After you have finished uploading your video(s) you need to return to that status page and close each account in order to complete your submission(s). Your video(s) will not be viewed and worked with until this has happened.
• Entries may also be mailed. Send your video(s) and printed entry form(s) to:
o ATTN: Youmacon 2011
o Nathan Silverthorn
o 11343 Tecumseh
o Redford, Mi, 48239
• Please make sure to include a printed copy of your entry form with your snail-mailed entry. You can print the form off from the Entry Status Section.
• The following media types will be accepted: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-DL, DVD+DL, Thumbdrives, Blu-Ray Disk.
o Remember that all media submitted will not be returned. Do not send us your only copy.
• Label the disk with your name and the video title(s) on the disk
• You may put multiple videos on a single disk.
o If your file is larger then the space available on a disk you may split the file using a program like WinRAR. Simply label the disks as 1,2,3,ect
Any and all questions regarding the contest may be directed to the contest coordinator at amv [AT] youmacon [DOT] com.