Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List.

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Shin-AMV » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:42 pm

Cool on Staff Favorite! :) Its better than nothing I suppose. While I know I won't be getting a check or anything, it'd be sweet if it came with at least a certificate or something to hang up on a wall. :P

I'll agree that categorization was a bit strange and confusing and there definitely should be some changes for less confusion like having an upbeat category etc. Its a good thing the rules will be getting a rework, hopefully they'll take feedback from us in getting it in line with other contests in general. I'll probably be PMing my thoughts on improvements for it.
Image
User avatar
Shin-AMV
 
Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Status: Emo Poptart

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Hagaren Viper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:The "pro" needs to be dropped from AMVTV and just turned into a fun/dance category and the "fun" needs to be dropped from ova. It creates a lot of confusion about where to submit to and just as previously stated, very few, if any of the videos in pro area actually pro :P

I can get behind this because I think AX *really* needs and upbeat/fun category. With Pro and OVA categories together, it almost seems like we have two 'Misc.' categories [Though I know the focus of both is quite different]. Also, I've been a little confused on the Fun/OVA category...when it was announced, it seemed like it was strictly for parodies and such, like Lawl & Order – Legal Tender and Phoenix Wright, Anime Attorney, but Mashupgatari and Make It Rock certainty aren't parodies [Heck, they were 'upbeat']. I'm sure since this was the categories test run things will be ironed out in the future, but I wanted to point this out nonetheless.

Also, am I the only one who is a bit iffy about next year's R rating? Yes, I know that when it was announced that people were excited, and I know that it wouldn't be exclusively R-Rated entries, but the few people I spoke to about it were pretty skeptical, with a couple a bit unsure if they wanted to attend the contest next year [I know you cant please everyone, but not everyone appreciates pushing the PG-13 rating to the limit]. It seems like it would be better to have a R-Rated category/Contest on top of what we have, not a Rated R contest and a 'Kid Contest'. Again, I know it's a bit early to be baawing, but still wanted to give my two cents.

Then again, I guess I wouldnt have to worry about using Baccano.
ImageImage
ImageImage
User avatar
Hagaren Viper
 
Joined: 19 Aug 2005
Location: I dont wanna edit
Status: Just wanna play Persona 4Ever

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Kazemon15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:54 pm

I'm in agreement with Yue here...

I mean, I actually wanna stop going to the AMV 101 panel because it says the same stuff every year, no offense to those who host it. But I needed to pick up my tickets, so I had to stick around. I wouldn't mind if there was a continuation to the AMV 101 panels. Like one year, basic editing, the next year, more advanced editing, ect. I mean, some people might be lost, but the majority of those who go to these panels go every year anyway.

I also have a gripe about the AMVs that are shown for entertainment at 10PM too.... I saw the video "Right Now" 5 times in the course of 3 days... it's not a bad video, but when you're forced to watch it over and over again, it becomes boring and bland. After Be a Man came on, I just walked out. I seen it all before. And no offense to the creator of "Mad World", but I was getting bored of it after I saw it for 3 times too.

Also, I wish the preshow would be only videos that didn't make the cut, give other vids a chance to shine. I mean, I love Halloween and Attack of the Otaku...but these editors are already popular and their videos have already won/was shown several times. Not to mention, I do care for Chiikaboom's videos, but she had a total of 4 videos within that contest, including Preshow. It would be nice to see local people's videos, especially if AX is their only attending con they go to.
Currently replaying/recording: Tales of Vesperia (Xbox360) and Tales of Graces F (PS3)
ImageImage<-- Now available
Image
User avatar
Kazemon15
 
Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: AMV Freak, California
Status: Reborn! Fanatic

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Hika Yagami » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:57 pm

For those interested, I posted up Anime Eats for download.

User avatar
Hika Yagami
 
Joined: 19 Sep 2004

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Radical_Yue » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:58 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:The "pro" needs to be dropped from AMVTV and just turned into a fun/dance category and the "fun" needs to be dropped from ova. It creates a lot of confusion about where to submit to and just as previously stated, very few, if any of the videos in pro area actually pro :P

I can get behind this because I think AX *really* needs and upbeat/fun category. With Pro and OVA categories together, it almost seems like we have two 'Misc.' categories [Though I know the focus of both is quite different]. Also, I've been a little confused on the Fun/OVA category...when it was announced, it seemed like it was strictly for parodies and such, like Lawl & Order – Legal Tender and Phoenix Wright, Anime Attorney, but Mashupgatari and Make It Rock certainty aren't parodies [Heck, they were 'upbeat']. I'm sure since this was the categories test run things will be ironed out in the future, but I wanted to point this out nonetheless.


Hence why the "fun" needs to be dropped from the category name :P Hell, maybe a different title altogether? The only reason half of the category fit (such as Lawl & Order, Phoenix Wright, etc...) and half didn't (Make It Rock, Mashugatari) was due to the fact the name is confusing. If I see something labeled "Fun" I think "Oh, this must be where the fun videos that aren't comedy go." It's not the editors to blame, just a poor choice in naming the category.

Hagaren Viper wrote:Also, am I the only one who is a bit iffy about next year's R rating? Yes, I know that when it was announced that people were excited, and I know that it wouldn't be exclusively R-Rated entries, but the few people I spoke to about it were pretty skeptical, with a couple a bit unsure if they wanted to attend the contest next year [I know you cant please everyone, but not everyone appreciates pushing the PG-13 rating to the limit]. It seems like it would be better to have a R-Rated category/Contest on top of what we have, not a Rated R contest and a 'Kid Contest'. Again, I know it's a bit early to be baawing, but still wanted to give my two cents.

Then again, I guess I wouldn't have to worry about using Baccano.


I honestly don't think that changing the contest from PG-13 to R isn't going to make that much of a difference in what is submitted. I mean this is an anime that is nothing but blood, guts and lotsa nudity and it got into a contest that was strictly PG-13.

The only downside is that you'll be cutting out some attendants. I took my younger brother to AX as his 16th birthday present. His friend is 15 and will be 16 next year. Both boys have no problem with R rated material but they won't be able to attend the contest next year. Hell, I started going to AMV competitions when I was 17. It just sucks for the people that will be unable to attend due to the rating :/

Kazemon15 wrote:
I mean, I actually wanna stop going to the AMV 101 panel because it says the same stuff every year, no offense to those who host it. But I needed to pick up my tickets, so I had to stick around. I wouldn't mind if there was a continuation to the AMV 101 panels. Like one year, basic editing, the next year, more advanced editing, ect. I mean, some people might be lost, but the majority of those who go to these panels go every year anyway.



Kisanzi and I are actually in talks about doing an Advanced Editing panel next year. If we get the slot, maybe we can swap back and forth each year pertaining to where/when the tickets are picked up?
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby ChosenExiled » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:Nic's AMV Event (Sorry, long title is long and I don't feel like looking up the correct spelling on your last name >.>)
Spoiler :
@_< There are only so many times I can watch the same videos played over the span of 3 days.
It either felt like you were going back in time to early 2000's or being forced to watch the host's/his friends videos after having the exact same thing happen at previous events.
I can understand a bit of vanity, there is nothing wrong with that. But if you're going to play your own videos, try to pick ONE and stick with it. Otherwise, the description of the panel/showing needs to be changed to "A couple hours of my videos and some friend's of mine."

All of us walked out as soon as Code Monkey began playing.




I agree wholeheartedly with this. Being a AXgoer for nine years now, the AMV events were always a highlight for me. As much as I enjoyed "Right Now," "Mad World," or "Be a Man" as any AMV fan. There's really a limit to how many times you see this AMV in three days. I was literally angry at my friend for dragging me to this event after being dragged to AMV Chef to see all those old AMVs again and again. I was thrilled to see some few new AMVS during the preshow at Sunday event. But really? Must you littered the preflow with old AMVs? I know some creators were in the contest to win but I'm sure there are majority of AMV creators that just want a small chance to see their creations on the screen even if they're not finalists.

I'm starting to think it's probably way more worth to buy my friend and I plane tickets to attend Otakon, considering I heard they getting six hours of AMV overflow to show all the AMVs of people that didn't get in. I don't care about the expensive costs for Otakon but I'm not gonna spend another dime to watch an old AMV million times.
Last edited by ChosenExiled on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ChosenExiled
 
Joined: 30 Aug 2008

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby XStylus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:08 pm

neko kitkat wrote:wow I really am so shocked and just overwhelmed. thank you everyone and I can't express my gratitude in words very well but I am honored and i dunno thankful for this oppertunity . Thank you <3


Congrats, neko. Great work, and great footage choice.

Forgive me for asking, but since the age limit for AMV is going to be raised to 18, are we going to be enjoying more of your work next year? You looked rather... ...youthful, and I'd be saddened if you couldn't enter or at least watch.
User avatar
XStylus
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2001
Location: A quaint little village.
Status: Enjoying the salty air.

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Kazemon15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:09 pm

@Yue: I wouldn't mind that. Actually, I think it might be better if there were two panels and both gave out the creators tickets. Because considering how overly crowded it gets for people to get their tickets, Im sure having less people to deal with at both would be better for everyone, including Michael.

Oh and Michael....I really really REALLY suggest putting comedy last. Everyone clears out after comedy at every event, missing out on alot of other AMVs. Putting it last will at least prevent some people from walking out.

@xstylus: Nekotkitkat is 22. XD Don't let her looks confuse you. She has a medical condition that makes her younger than she looks. ^_~
Currently replaying/recording: Tales of Vesperia (Xbox360) and Tales of Graces F (PS3)
ImageImage<-- Now available
Image
User avatar
Kazemon15
 
Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: AMV Freak, California
Status: Reborn! Fanatic

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Castor Troy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:Also, I wish the preshow would be only videos that didn't make the cut, give other vids a chance to shine. I mean, I love Halloween and Attack of the Otaku...but these editors are already popular and their videos have already won/was shown several times. Not to mention, I do care for Chiikaboom's videos, but she had a total of 4 videos within that contest, including Preshow. It would be nice to see local people's videos, especially if AX is their only attending con they go to.


Yes, I also agree that the preshow should be nothing but the videos that didn't make the cut.

ChosenExiled wrote:I'm starting to think it's probably way more worth to buy my friend and I plane tickets to attend Otakon, considering I heard they getting six hours of AMV overflow to show all the AMVs of people that didn't get in. I don't care about the expensive costs for Otakon but I'm not gonna spend another dime to watch an old AMV million times.


This.

With AX finally getting more AMV events, we absolutely need to have a dedicated AMV room like the VAT at AWA.

I'm going to inquire about this year after year after year until it finally happens. :mrgreen:
Image
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby XStylus » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Hagaren Viper wrote:Also, am I the only one who is a bit iffy about next year's R rating? Yes, I know that when it was announced that people were excited, and I know that it wouldn't be exclusively R-Rated entries, but the few people I spoke to about it were pretty skeptical, with a couple a bit unsure if they wanted to attend the contest next year [I know you cant please everyone, but not everyone appreciates pushing the PG-13 rating to the limit]. It seems like it would be better to have a R-Rated category/Contest on top of what we have, not a Rated R contest and a 'Kid Contest'. Again, I know it's a bit early to be baawing, but still wanted to give my two cents.


I agree, I'm uncomfortable with it as well, mainly because I'm mildly concerned that the comedy category will be filled with videos that go for the cheap laugh rather than something out of the box and creative. We'll see how it goes, I guess. [shrug]

A video that does go for the cheap laugh better have a strong concept behind it or I'll be judging it as viciously as I do for logo'd/subbed vids.

Castor Troy wrote:With AX finally getting more AMV events, we absolutely need to have a dedicated AMV room like the VAT at AWA.

I'm going to inquire about this year after year after year until it finally happens.


Welcome to the choir. :)
User avatar
XStylus
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2001
Location: A quaint little village.
Status: Enjoying the salty air.

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Castor Troy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:28 pm

I swear I will take out my laptop with speakers and run an AMV event in front of the restroom.
Image
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
User avatar
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: California
Status: Retired from AMVs

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Kazemon15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I swear I will take out my laptop with speakers and run an AMV event in front of the restroom.


HELL YEAH. I'll be joining that. :lol:
Currently replaying/recording: Tales of Vesperia (Xbox360) and Tales of Graces F (PS3)
ImageImage<-- Now available
Image
User avatar
Kazemon15
 
Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: AMV Freak, California
Status: Reborn! Fanatic

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby 1moongoddess7 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:30 pm

WAIT WAIT WAIT It's going to be 18+ next year? :shock: I was given the first impression that it would be 17+....
FFFFFUUUUUUU---
I can't go.... :|

...on another note...
I really enjoyed the contest this year. Overall, I thought the choices for finalists were much stronger than they were in the past couple years that I've gone. Definitely congrats to all the finalists and winners. :mrgreen:

Would anyone happen to have an approximate list of the videos that were played in the preshow?
I'm just curious to know since the lines scared me off from the re-screen.
User avatar
1moongoddess7
 
Joined: 15 Jul 2008

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby ChosenExiled » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I swear I will take out my laptop with speakers and run an AMV event in front of the restroom.


That...will probably be the smellist AMV event but it's probably gonna be the best one XD!

Count me in too.
Last edited by ChosenExiled on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ChosenExiled
 
Joined: 30 Aug 2008

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Postby Kazemon15 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:34 pm

At the top of my head on the preshow:

Freakshow by Chiikaboom
Attack of the Otaku by Chiikaboom
This is Halloween by Hagaren Viper
Right Now
Mad World by Brad
Makes Me Nervous by Tearx
...and that's all I can recall atm.
Currently replaying/recording: Tales of Vesperia (Xbox360) and Tales of Graces F (PS3)
ImageImage<-- Now available
Image
User avatar
Kazemon15
 
Joined: 09 May 2003
Location: AMV Freak, California
Status: Reborn! Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests