Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:02 am

I'm happy that I managed to get 3/4 of the videos I sent into the contest, although seeing some of the other AMVs its going to be pretty sick fierce in those categories. :dino:

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:05 am

tehninjaness wrote:I'm happy that I managed to get 3/4 of the videos I sent into the contest, although seeing some of the other AMVs its going to be pretty sick fierce in those categories. :dino:
I thought only 2 were allowed to make the cut! Lucky! :shock:
Image ImageImage

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:06 am

tehninjaness wrote:I'm happy that I managed to get 3/4 of the videos I sent into the contest, although seeing some of the other AMVs its going to be pretty sick fierce in those categories. :dino:
Trade ya for a slot :ying:

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:14 am

Chiikaboom wrote:
The way I read (and rechecked the rules) is you could techinically get all 4 of your submissions in up to a max of 2 per category. 4 being the max number of submissions and rule 3b stating 2 per creator per category will be allowed in the finals. So even if you sent in 4 really awesome action ones you couldn't get more than 2 into action (But theoretically if they were really awesome the other 2 could both be placed into pro.) At least I hope that was the actual meaning of that rule and not just some kind of error :/ I really would hate to wake up tommorow and find I'm not in Drama or Pro anymore or something :(

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:20 am

DigitalPanther wrote: 6. “No Rest For The Wicked” by Nic Neidenbach, Studio Hybrid
Heh, what a difference 6 vs 5 finalists makes. :)
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:32 am

Looks like it could be a good contest.

As DP mentioned, The Wedding Ring was before DP's time but in the same sense, the fun/OVA category was created, I assume, to find a place for those kind of videos. If a video of that sort made it into the general contest, well, it seems a little unfair. However, I do recognize that judges may interpret videos differently (just as editors and non-editors). As a future note, since you are planning on rewriting the rules, it might be best take into consideration exactly what kind of videos belong in what category and make sure your judging staff is aware of it and follows it. Don't allow them to break the rules. As I mentioned in my rant on the rules page, adding such a category (FUN/OVA) will only cause more drama/issues. Luckily it only seems like one such video made it through, but one is one too many in my mind but then again as i mentioned in my rant, the rules are so vague it was bound to happen.

Anyway, putting that aside, DP, please try to be less defensive. There's no reason to counter attack Yue and for god sakes do not take this post of mine badly. Please remain professional and don't take anything negative as actually being negative. Learn from it and deal with it in a more civil and professional manner. This will not be the last of such comments from people (last from me at least, maybe >.>) and the better you handle them the better for the contest as a whole. You are the face of the contest after all. I think we all realize that there are things out of your scope of control (same with any coordinator really).

Enough of that. Congrats to those who made it in. Contest looks like it could be a good one. If Vlad is actually going and if Yue & Ryan manage to persuade me, i might grace LA with my presence (as much as I really don't want to go to LA...).

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 am

Radical_Yue wrote: I mean, how does this video:

Majorly differ from the Big O video?

I'm really not trying to be a bitch, both videos are of great quality....but...Kevin got disqualified, and yet this video gets in with the same rule in place?
I'm not trying to get him DQ'd I'm just trying to point out the lack of categorization by judges and coordinators.
Not cool guys. :?
You're comparing apples and oranges...
because....Kevin got DQ'ed when James and Katy were still running the contest.
With Michael and Nikki running the contest is it COMPLETELY different. Not only is this a different year but the contest is run by different people.
Any questions or reasoning you might have or want to ask about why Kevin's video didn't make it way back in the day, but others did/vice versa, needs to directed towards James and Katy.
Micahel and Nikki weren't running the AMV show at that point in time.
Radical_Yue wrote:I kinda want to see the "“Incepolis” by Lolilicious Designs" entry also since that could also easily be in violation of the same rule.
Just sayin' guys >.>
Follow your own rules :P
In defense of my own video :)...
I believe I edited my video in such a way that the focus is the relation between the music and video.
Keep in mind, the whole point of the 'parody' video rules section is to stop from 'parodies'. Meaning, slapping "The Hangover 2" Trailer track to Golden Boy should NOT be submitted to Comedy, but Fun category. The rules are not there to discourage creation of original work that might fall on the fine lines. It is there to discourage blatant parody videos from being in Comedy. (not even removal from contest, just re-category shuffling).

Here is a great example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tS-gd9eT30
Lord of the Rings Trailer music to Totoro. The video was made not to MOCK the original but to make something NEW.

You have to try to understand the semantics of the rule.
===
And of course, as Michael said, the rules are pretty old.

====
But honestly, this video was not my best work. so don't be surprised.
Chiikaboom wrote:
thats what i thought too ><
Last edited by milkmandan on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:59 am

tehninjaness wrote:
Chiikaboom wrote:
The way I read (and rechecked the rules) is you could techinically get all 4 of your submissions in up to a max of 2 per category. 4 being the max number of submissions and rule 3b stating 2 per creator per category will be allowed in the finals. So even if you sent in 4 really awesome action ones you couldn't get more than 2 into action (But theoretically if they were really awesome the other 2 could both be placed into pro.) At least I hope that was the actual meaning of that rule and not just some kind of error :/ I really would hate to wake up tommorow and find I'm not in Drama or Pro anymore or something :(
If thats the case, im even more surprised the two vids of mine ended up getting in instead of another one I did :shock:

Even if it was a mistake though I doubt they'd pull you out of any of the categories ;3 also, despite my thoughts on the series I really liked your Madoka amv, good luck with that one :up:
Image ImageImage

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:02 am

Chiikaboom wrote: Even if it was a mistake though I doubt they'd pull you out of any of the categories ;3 also, despite my thoughts on the series I really liked your Madoka amv, good luck with that one :up:
Thanks! I'm really glad that one made it in. :)

milkmandan
Org Profile

Post by milkmandan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 am

Chiikaboom wrote:Even if it was a mistake though I doubt they'd pull you out of any of the categories ;3 also, despite my thoughts on the series I really liked your Madoka amv, good luck with that one :up:
Madoka amv, i am looking forward to this ;)
@techninja did you get a chance to add ep 11 or 12 in there? or was it too close to the deadline?
Image Image

Return to “AMV Contests”