Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2011 Anime Music Video Contest Finalists List

Post by Hagaren Viper » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:09 am

Radical_Yue wrote:Looking over some of the entries, it looks like comedy/fun videos (in almost all categories) we're heavily favored.
Thats weird, because Drama is favored around here..

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:09 am

Hagaren Viper wrote:
Drama
:ying:

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:11 am

DigitalPanther wrote: I will go back to the tally sheets and pull up the number 6's from each category.

Thank you for catching that
-DP
There's still hope everyone!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:15 am

I kinda want to see the "“Incepolis” by Lolilicious Designs" entry also since that could also easily be in violation of the same rule.

Just sayin' guys >.>

Follow your own rules :P

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:26 am

Radical_Yue wrote:
DigitalPanther wrote: “Dial ‘D’ For Dominus” by Solomon Smith
While it's a really neat video
Official AX Rules wrote: A parody video is a video in which editing has been used to create something other then a music video, and the music involved acts only as a soundtrack or background element. Videos of this nature can look like music videos, such as Commercials, Trailers, opening/closing themes to TV shows, and more, but they focus on subjects other then the music and video relationship. Videos found to be edited in this format and not submitted to the “Fun” category will either not be accepted into the Anime Expo® Anime Music Video Contest or be re-categorized and moved into the “Fun” category at the discretion of the Special Judges in consultation with the Anime Expo® Anime Music Video Contest Directors. Any decisions by this body to re-categorize a video in this manner are final and not guaranteed. So if you want so submit a parody or original concept video to the contest, we strongly suggest you submit it to the “Fun” category. That’s what it is there for.
I mean, how does this video:

Majorly differ from the Big O video?

I'm really not trying to be a bitch, both videos are of great quality....but...Kevin got disqualified, and yet this video gets in with the same rule in place?
I'm not trying to get him DQ'd I'm just trying to point out the lack of categorization by judges and coordinators.

Not cool guys. :?
Agreed.

I watched this video and yes it does exhibit a good amount of work as far as FX work, but it reminded me alot of Suberunker's video in the sense that it has a noir atomosphere and seems to use music as more of a soundtrack rather than a direct link to the video. Both videos have some loose beat sync but other than that that, the Big O video seems like an alternate opening/promotion for Big O. This only makes me concerned with the fact that great videos have been DQ'ed in the past because of this very rule and it seems that the AX staff has begun to disregard it own rules. I'd like to see the coordinators either take that rule out of the contest or adhere to it, but please don't continue to advocate a set of rules only to break them yourselves.

On other topics, grats to all of the finalists and go Castor, how long of an AX drought has this snapped and now you get 2 finalists?!

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:26 am

Radical_Yue wrote:
Official AX Rules wrote: A parody video is a video in which editing has been used to create something other then a music video, and the music involved acts only as a soundtrack or background element. Videos of this nature can look like music videos, such as Commercials, Trailers, opening/closing themes to TV shows, and more, but they focus on subjects other then the music and video relationship. Videos found to be edited in this format and not submitted to the “Fun” category will either not be accepted into the Anime Expo® Anime Music Video Contest or be re-categorized and moved into the “Fun” category at the discretion of the Special Judges in consultation with the Anime Expo® Anime Music Video Contest Directors. Any decisions by this body to re-categorize a video in this manner are final and not guaranteed. So if you want so submit a parody or original concept video to the contest, we strongly suggest you submit it to the “Fun” category. That’s what it is there for.

I'm really not trying to be a bitch, both videos are of great quality....but...Kevin got disqualified, and yet this video gets in with the same rule in place?
I'm not trying to get him DQ'd I'm just trying to point out the lack of categorization by judges and coordinators.

"I'm really not trying to be a bitch"[But]...you know anytime someone starts a sentence like that that means they actually are right?

The "Dial D" question was brought up at the judging. Put to the judges, they voted to keep it in the category it was entered in. That coupled with the previous cries of "Now they have a category to move a video they don't want to win best of show to." may have had some influence but I can't be sure.

Also, the year wedding rings was submitted was well before I was running the contest so I had nothing to do with that. I was not even involved in the contest at that time beyond pressing play on the dvd player.

In regards to Incepolis, please look at the video before you point fingers. Its an AMV in the traditional sense of the word. so yes. You are stirring things up needlessly in this case.

I'm just sayin...
-DP
P.S.
Nikki and I have already been discussing the idea for scrapping the rules entirely and re-writing them from the ground up. There are alot of , what I consider, unnecessary rules and specifications from a time when linear tape was more the standard than digital submissions. The rules were written while the Dodd's ran the contest. We have tried to adjust to fit the changing time and technologies. It has gotten to the point where the rules just need to be scrapped and totally rewritten. So, we are very seriously considering doing just that.
Last edited by DigitalPanther on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:29 am

Kisanzi wrote:On other topics, grats to all of the finalists and go Castor, how long of an AX drought has this snapped and now you get 2 finalists?!
I didn't enter. Ryan Molina did. :ying:
Spoiler :
Yeah, it feels great to finally comeback after 5 years :up:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 am

DigitalPanther wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:

"I'm really not trying to be a bitch"[But]...you know anytime someone starts a sentence like that that means they actually are right?

The "Dial D" question was brought up at the judging. Put to the judges, they voted to keep it in the category it was entered in. That coupled with the previous cries of "Now they have a category to move a video they don't want to win best of show to." may have had some influence but I can't be sure.

Also, the year wedding rings was submitted was well before I was running the contest so I had nothing to do with that. I was not even involved in the contest at that time beyond pressing play on the dvd player.

In regards to Incepolis, please look at the video before you point fingers. Its an AMV in the traditional sense of the word. so yes. You are stirring things up needlessly in this case.

I'm just sayin...
-DP
Once more, it honestly wasn't meant to be mean. I threw the bitch thing in because quite a few people see me as one and I don't really appreciate your remark concerning it.

Now, while you're not the people that ran the contest 5 years ago, you did take over their rules.
It's a neat, stylish video and I actually enjoyed it (I'm a major Big O nerd) but you need to amend the rules so you don't break them. It just looks really bad on your part.

Now, if I wanted to stir something up I could say that this is considered pro?

I'm not trying to stir up shit. I could, but I'm not.

It would help you guys save face >.>

THIS IS ME TRYING TO BE HELPFUL.

Like I said, it's a good video and I don't want it DQ'd. It's just in the wrong category.

EDIT: Now that I see your Ps you added on, what Kisanzi said + what I said :P
Last edited by Radical_Yue on Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 am

Castor Troy wrote:
Kisanzi wrote:On other topics, grats to all of the finalists and go Castor, how long of an AX drought has this snapped and now you get 2 finalists?!
Spoiler :
You've got to win to mount a comeback my young Jr Jedi :P

Awe... I can't argue that it's kind of tempting to be present at the contest this year...

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:36 am

Castor Troy wrote:
Spoiler :
LOL yeah I had to go back and look at your form as well. You have Ryan Molina in the section of how you want your name listed...that's why it is listed that way. I thought maybe you had an extended dyslexia.
-DP

Return to “AMV Contests”