Another Anime Con 2011 - Final ballot posted - winners: pg7

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Another Anime Con 2011 - Final ballot posted - winners:

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Pwolf wrote:
Ileia wrote:Settle down.

It has been and will continue to be taken either way. That's all there is to it. Nothing to need to argue or gather cavalry. :roll:
Wait... cavalry? where's my horse?
I think I still have something you could use for a horse that was loaned to me at AWA...

Here:

:asd:

EDIT: Spelling
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Ileia wrote:Well, you could watch another video to get it out of your head.

Perhaps.....this one?

I think I saw that twice this weekend too... but you're still a villainess who inflicts dancing on poor unsuspecting souls... :nono:
l33tmeatwad wrote:carvery... hourse
Your spelling is normally fine, what do you have against horses?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:53 pm

We had a manicorn @ AAC - you probably don't want to ride that though.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:carvery... hourse
Your spelling is normally fine, what do you have against horses?
lol...sorry, wasn't using my typical browser that implements spell check and a few things slipped through due to not proof reading ;)!

*fixed*

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 pm

On a side note, I don't chime in because someone wants me to. Ileia didn't ask me to ride in on my white horse (I don't even own a horse... ;_;). I did so of my own free will and desire to put people in their place when they make stupid blanket comments that have no grounds for anything. What an editor (any editor) believes their video to be is up to them. It's up to the contest coordinator and viewers to decide if it lives up to that. Personally, I think the video is a drama video and should be judged as one. If I had watched it expecting a comedy, I wouldn't like it. If people think it's a comedy video, good for them but I don't look at the sources and make them decide for me how good the video is or what genre it belongs in.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Pwolf wrote:On a side note, I don't chime in because someone wants me to. Ileia didn't ask me to ride in on my white horse (I don't even own a horse... ;_;). I did so of my own free will and desire to put people in their place when they make stupid blanket comments that have no grounds for anything. What an editor (any editor) believes their video to be is up to them. It's up to the contest coordinator and viewers to decide if it lives up to that. Personally, I think the video is a drama video and should be judged as one. If I had watched it expecting a comedy, I wouldn't like it. If people think it's a comedy video, good for them but I don't look at the sources and make them decide for me how good the video is or what genre it belongs in.
I respect your boldness to share your opinion.

That said, I will say this about the video (and I'll leave it to that). The fact that the song is a parody of a song that no one could take seriously due to many different reasons, and the original artists put together music video that was very dry humor using a "serious" tone to match the way that a "serious" tone was used to implement dry humor in the song.

So if we look at the AMV, there are two possible conclusions:
1. It was meant to be taken seriously and accidentally ended up perfectly syncing up with the original style of the song and music video.
or
2. Was planned to match the dry humor and the choice in source material was brilliantly chosen to match the tone of the song and reflects how the artist himself depicted his own MV. (Now additionally to this point, a "serious" intention could be there, but it will often tend to get "absorbed" into the dry humor.)

Now, that said, I'm not fishing for another argument, and I know you obviously don't agree with my opinion.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 pm

I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion, I think it's misguided and detrimental to the hobby. A lot more people then I would like think this way and it's a bad, backwards way of thinking (in my opinion at least). If all you see when you watch a video is what type of song you're listening to or what the sources are, you're not actually looking at the video for what it is. It's like using a funny song but not really doing anything in terms of making the actual content any good. Sure you might get a laugh but overall the video is terrible. AMV fans can get away with calling those videos good but we as editors and judges should be better than that. Well at least I wish we were.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 pm

Pwolf wrote:I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion, I think it's misguided and detrimental to the hobby. A lot more people then I would like think this way and it's a bad, backwards way of thinking (in my opinion at least). If all you see when you watch a video is what type of song you're listening to or what the sources are, you're not actually looking at the video for what it is. It's like using a funny song but not really doing anything in terms of making the actual content any good. Sure you might get a laugh but overall the video is terrible. AMV fans can get away with calling those videos good but we as editors and judges should be better than that. Well at least I wish we were.
I never said that all content has to be that way, but anything that's written as comedy takes WAY more legwork to pull it OUT of comedy and not make it funny, and in most cases is impossible. The reverse, however, is much easier to do. I think you completely misunderstand me by the point I have made on ONE video. I completely agree with your point about using just a funny song just to get laughs and I agree that more depth should be put into a video when attempting to use such source material. A lot of people in the community are all about "this technical aspect has to be executed this way" but they completely ignore the "conceptual" aspect of putting a video together do just slap things together with a funny song without putting much though into what they are pairing it with.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 pm

As a seasoned editor I do look past the sources and look for more depth which is why I would never discount a video based on the fact that it used a funny song :P It doesn't take a lot of effort to to push all that aside and look for something more. Perhaps it's easier for some of us and harder for others.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:57 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:

That said, I will say this about the video (and I'll leave it to that). The fact that the song is a parody of a song that no one could take seriously due to many different reasons, and the original artists put together music video that was very dry humor using a "serious" tone to match the way that a "serious" tone was used to implement dry humor in the song.
The original video is not dry humor, its on the farce/melodrama/satire spectrum. Serial Experiments Lain actually is a drama so Bleak Friday can't utilize the same type of exaggeration, and I think that's why it can go either way.

Personally I think it just doesn't fit in either category well, but obviously there wasn't a better option and since it got its share of laughs obviously everything worked out. |:>

Return to “AMV Contests”