The Otakon 2011 Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Adv1sor
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2011 Thread

Post by Adv1sor » Tue May 10, 2011 5:29 am

Getting closer. And I haven't done an AMV in the past several months...

Jefferys
Org Profile

Post by Jefferys » Wed May 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Adv1sor wrote:Getting closer. And I haven't done an AMV in the past several months...
Me neither...what is wrong with this picture? :-P
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Video card died...shit shit shit shit shit shit
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed May 11, 2011 7:08 pm

I'mma have to come up with an idea quickly.
Between editing AMV Salad 5 and practically running the Anime Mid Atlantic AMV department throwing together an entry for this con is gonna be a chore.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Sun May 15, 2011 5:15 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote:When you say "First Place" (in reference to the trolling rule), does that mean for the entered contest as a whole, or best in its given category?
Both, actually. I say "First place" as opposed to "best" because there are a lot of awards out there that tend to be specifically tailored to give recognition to a certain video, like "Best Gurren Lagaan video done in the correct aspect ratio". So, if your victory can be considered as "I took first place in the ________ category" or "I won best in show at _________" then it's a troll video at that point as far as I'm concerned.
Have you considered making possible entries to allow for "nonwinners of 2 contests lifetime"? That is, they've only won exactly 1 contest before? This could mitigate the complaints we get from some people about Otakon always having new material to send in.

It really doesn't matter to me since I send in something new (or at least something that hasn't broken its maiden yet), but it seems every year you get winning entries from the same people that have won contests at other places before.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

sonicfan74
Org Profile

Post by sonicfan74 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:00 pm

do you allow amv from the DC universe like batman or teen titans?

Jefferys
Org Profile

Post by Jefferys » Wed May 18, 2011 12:27 pm

sonicfan74 wrote:do you allow amv from the DC universe like batman or teen titans?
[Note: I swear, my eyes are glazing over due to my lethargy and disposition from all this rain. I thought this inquiry was for something else.]

Specifically, the source material would have to be Japanese or anime origin. I guess "Batman: Gotham Knight" is allowable, but not specifically the cartoon series from the 90s that aired on FOX (later Kids WB). "Teen Titans" is animesque, but the remit gets to be strained when considering the confines that are Otakon rules and regulations for this contest. I know video game sources have been used in the past, but most often it's been limited to distinctly Japanese in origin (Final Fantasy and the like). Stll, maybe Vic can make an official ruling...I think...
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed May 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Jefferys wrote:[Note: I swear, my eyes are glazing over due to my lethargy and disposition from all this rain. I thought this inquiry was for something else.]
[Note: np]

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:20 pm

sonicfan74 wrote:do you allow amv from the DC universe like batman or teen titans?
The way we handle these is that it's OK as a primary source so long as it was animated by an Asian production company (Studio Madhouse, etc.). Having the filler animation done by cheap Asian labor doesn't count. Every show does that. It doesn't matter if the show was originally made for North America so long as the animation studio responsible has anime cred (This is why Animatrix, Highlander, Afro Samurai, etc. are all OK). Now if it's just one or two clips, and the rest of your AMV is anime, nobody will care. We're not gonna sit there with a stopwatch and make sure that your video is at least 51% anime but just understand that not every show that plays on Saturday morning qualifies as anime...though they do make bitchin' secret ingredients for Iron Editor.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:30 pm

Brakus wrote: Have you considered making possible entries to allow for "nonwinners of 2 contests lifetime"? That is, they've only won exactly 1 contest before? This could mitigate the complaints we get from some people about Otakon always having new material to send in.

It really doesn't matter to me since I send in something new (or at least something that hasn't broken its maiden yet), but it seems every year you get winning entries from the same people that have won contests at other places before.
That would only work if it actually applied to the "complainers". So far we have 2 "troll" entries and each entry has won MULTIPLE first place awards. Meaning if I were to put such a ruling into effect, it'd still result in 0% more videos in the contest. It's a good idea, and I might implement it next year for the hell of it, but what's happening this year is exactly what usually happens. The "troll" videos that we're rejecting aren't just being dumped for winning, they're being dumped because they've been in like, every contest that year and we're already tired of seeing them trounce everything else.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Return to “AMV Contests”