The Otakon 2011 Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
-Corsair-
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2011 Thread

Post by -Corsair- » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:28 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
-Corsair- wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:How did Iron Editor go?
Chris Brown beat Rihanna haha. Although honestly, it went very well and Scintilla did a great job MCing. T'was awesome getting to meet so many editors too!
What showing were you at for the AMV Contest Corsair? I really enjoyed your video btw (I had actually already seen it on youtube and showed it to a few ppl, really impressive :)!)
I went to the Friday showing, which went very well in my opinion. Fantastic job on Business Time (Too lazy to call it by it's full title haha). It had me singing along and laughing all night! It was the perfect comedy vid this year that had the audience Addicted. (See what I did there?) ;)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:39 pm

-Corsair- wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
-Corsair- wrote:Chris Brown beat Rihanna haha. Although honestly, it went very well and Scintilla did a great job MCing. T'was awesome getting to meet so many editors too!
What showing were you at for the AMV Contest Corsair? I really enjoyed your video btw (I had actually already seen it on youtube and showed it to a few ppl, really impressive :)!)
I went to the Friday showing, which went very well in my opinion. Fantastic job on Business Time (Too lazy to call it by it's full title haha). It had me singing along and laughing all night! It was the perfect comedy vid this year that had the audience Addicted. (See what I did there?) ;)
Oh cool, I was there on Friday too! Snap and I, as well as a friend of his, were up on the front row of the editors section all the way on the left side. Hope we weren't distracting, I tend to whisper a lot during shows cuz I get nervous, lol...

Also, to everyone, thanks for the compliments! I am just glad that everyone enjoyed it and I was super hyped to hear all the laughs and cheers for it. When they announced that it won, everyone around me was like "oh, go get ur prize" and I was like "nah, I'm gonna sit here and enjoyed the video and audience reaction one more time" lol...It was truly an honor to win at Otakon, definitely made my first trip there memorable... :awesome:

...also, I think I win the longest title competition, lol...it barely fit in the box on the contest intro video, haha! :dino:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:20 am

irriadin wrote:
ssgwnbtd wrote:
irriadin wrote:Unofficial list of the winners:
Action:

1st Place - Angels Made from Neon by SSGWNBTD
Runner-Up - Your Perfect World by irriadin
:up: :shark: :up:
Congrats sir! They told me it was pretty close between your video and mine. I have no problems losing to you, though, because Angels Made from Neon is really good! :up:
Now you know how I felt last year with my Gunsmith Cats video :) Although "Fallen Souls" won by daylight and the battle for 2nd was much closer in my case.

It was nice to see the morning line (his and yours finishing 1-2 in pre-judging) dictated the actual results (his and yours finishing 1-2 in the popular vote). Makes for some lousy paying exactas in horse racing, but still, two well-deserved placements indeed. :)

As for the other results, I was shocked to see some morning line favorites get beaten out, and in some cases the top 2 in the pre-screeners didn't finish in the money in the popular vote (see Romantic/Sentimental). Plus, Scintilla's videos seem to get the most votes in its category every year he enters something!

I did get to see my video in the overflow on Sunday morning, and only a few souls saw it in that big room, so there was virtually no crowd reaction. Still, I was happy to see it play on the big screen. Makes me want to try harder for next year so I can get back in that finalist list!
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:35 am

l33tmeatwad wrote: Oh cool, I was there on Friday too! Snap and I, as well as a friend of his, were up on the front row of the editors section all the way on the left side. Hope we weren't distracting, I tend to whisper a lot during shows cuz I get nervous, lol...
You weren't distracting, I sat behind you +/- a seat.

It's a struggle for me to stay quiet too... I needed a 7th Inning stretch or something.

Congrats on your win, and congrats to everyone else!

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:04 am

Congrats to everyone, what a great contest this year! :D I especially loved "Maya and Company." Normally I HATE videos using that show, I think this is the only time I have ever voted for one. It made me tear up. :)

Also, kudos to Chris on a well-deserved win, you trounced me, good sir! :D Iron Editor was a very fun experience, thanks Vic for letting me compete!
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

KagatoAMV
Studio Hybrid
Org Profile

Post by KagatoAMV » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:41 am

irriadin wrote:Unofficial list of the winners:

Vic's Pick:

A Glorious Dawn by Studio Hybrid
Cool. :D

Congrats to everyone!
"Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

ssgwnbtd
Org Profile

Post by ssgwnbtd » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:15 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:...also, I think I win the longest title competition, lol...it barely fit in the box on the contest intro video, haha! :dino:
Your title is longer than "I Had Sexual Intercourse While Making This Video"?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:34 pm

ssgwnbtd wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:...also, I think I win the longest title competition, lol...it barely fit in the box on the contest intro video, haha! :dino:
Hmm...close call, depends on the font and letter spacing, too close to call...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:36 pm

ssgwnbtd wrote:
I was very tempted to title my video "You Don't Need Your Vital Regions To Dance A Jig." I decided against it. the vital regions joke is getting old

Also, unrelated but seriously, I have to say. Ouran: Be Our Guest made me so, so so so happy. I actually had the exact same idea a few years back, but had already done an Ouran video to "Willkommen" from Cabaret right before I got the other idea, so I decided it'd be too redundant for me as an editor, and I didn't bother... and now, after seeing that video, I am overjoyed to see a project idea I was too lazy to follow through with actually done. PERFECTLY. I am probably biased because damn, hive mind on so many of the clips.
AKA CurryMuttonPizza

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Congrats to all the winners! I wish I could've been there when they announced the winners - due to friends and commitments, I didn't get to iron editor until the very end, when I thought they'd announce the results anyway. Missed it completely.

Being in drama, I wanna talk about that for a second. I managed to judge every other category's first place winners exactly (runner's up I had a worse track record at), so apparently having my own skin in the game incapacitates my own judgement. I was honestly surprised that the Madoka one got nothing - I felt like it didn't add much by way of commentary to the series (meant as constructive criticism, not trying to be mean) but it was very well edited and to a very popular series. I was sure that was going to place, and competing against it, I worried about it the most. On second viewing, I also found the Utena AMV to that Cold Play song was really good (any word on when that'll be posted online? I've tried to find it, and it doesn't seem to be out there). For some reason, the first time I saw it, it didn't stick out, but the second time left me wanting to watch it a bunch more. Excluding my opinions about my own video, I was pretty sure those two were going to do very well. Was anyone else surprised by the drama results? I haven't seen Princess Tutu or the show that Ready to Ignite is from, so I may be a very poor judge here.

Let me say I am glad that A Glorious Dawn got Vic's Choice. I feel like that's a video that would have difficulty winning popularity contests, but is different enough that it deserves recognition.

Oh, a post was made while I was writing this, that's fun... Yeah, I also loved the Ouran Be Our Guest video. Honestly, I wanted it to win best in show. I felt like it'd have difficulty winning in comedy against Shinji Does (Not) Mean Business, but as Best in Show it coulda worked really well.

Return to “AMV Contests”