The Otakon 2011 Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Junipertay
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2011 Thread

Post by Junipertay » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Congrats to everyone for a fantastic AMV contest AND A rockin' Overflow this year! :up: I really enjoyed everything I saw. And thanks to Vic and the AMV team for a beautiful presentation of everyone's submission and the sweet prizes for the winners. Scintilla did a great job hosting IE, and BTW I thought the IE "intro" with the mock TrueBlood opening was sweeeeeet. :awesome:

I honestly enjoyed every single video in the contest, but here's my list of vids that I voted for:

Trailer/Parody:
Well, I did the "GT Taken" one, soooo excluding that one, I actually preferred the "Priest" trailer. I thought it was well-synced and fit perfectly and looked great!! The "Stupid AMV Title" definitely had some very funny moments, but it just didn't work as well for me as a whole.

Drama/Serious:
I picked "Deceiver" because it was excellently done! The editing and timing were great, the song fit perfectly with Princess Tutu, and overall it was just a really well thought-out video. I did hear some people seated near me saying that the song was overused, but I think if you're able to make a good AMV with any song, it doesn't matter how often it's been used before.
As a runner-up I would have picked "Is It Safe?" because it was so different and unique and SPOOKY! Great job!!

Action:
Like, all of these were awesome. :-) But I picked "Sleeping Beauty" because I was sitting there, watching it build up and after the first few scenic shots with the castle and the wind turbines I was like, "Oh...this isn't really an action vi---HOLY CRAP DID THOSE VINES JUST HATCH MONSTERS?!?!" and I was SOLD from that point on. Really, really great buildup, and when the action part hit it was like going from 0-600 mph in two seconds, and I totally loved it.
I also want to mention "VERSUS" because Nightmistress85 and I were talking and we both agreed that, with the addition of some text and a logo, that would make an AWESOME trailer for FFXIII!

Romance/Sentimental
I voted for Re-Evolution's "With You Around" because it was so, so polished and pretty and shiny and it told a great story, too. All the scenes were sweet and well-chosen, and even though I've never seen that anime, I was able to follow it exactly. It left me with a warm fuzzy feeling, so it got my vote!
Shoutout for the Satoshi Kon vid, too, because again it was an "often used song" but re-envisioned and edited perfectly to his work, so it was very refreshing.

Upbeat/Dance
I had to go with Nightmistress85's "Let's Rock" 'cause it totally did rock and was the embodiment of Upbeat. It really got my blood pumping, and it was fun to see it played in IE and that it got everyone in the audience to clap along to the beat!!
I also really liked xDreww's "Always Looking Back" which was extremely breathtakingly pretty.

Comedy
"Shinji does (Not) Mean Business" was outstanding. OUTSTANDING. I loved, loved, loved, the typography, and I'm a graphic designer, so I don't often give praise for that (because effing Comic Sans is everywhere.) But yes, the type, the timing, and the concept was great. And i usually don't vote for a comedy vid to be Best in Show because I figure that's inevitable anyway, but I honestly felt this vid was the best in show. BUSINESS HOURS ARE OVA BABYYYY

Again, great job everyone!

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Junipertay wrote:Comedy
"Shinji does (Not) Mean Business" was outstanding. OUTSTANDING. I loved, loved, loved, the typography, and I'm a graphic designer, so I don't often give praise for that (because effing Comic Sans is everywhere.) But yes, the type, the timing, and the concept was great. And i usually don't vote for a comedy vid to be Best in Show because I figure that's inevitable anyway, but I honestly felt this vid was the best in show. BUSINESS HOURS ARE OVA BABYYYY
Glad you enjoyed it :)! I'm a graphic designer as well, so when starting the project I made sure to have some decent font choices, lol...

btw, I loved your trailer submission (it had my vote) :)!
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Junipertay
Org Profile

Post by Junipertay » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:04 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Glad you enjoyed it :)! I'm a graphic designer as well, so when starting the project I made sure to have some decent font choices, lol...
I would have been heartbroken if you'd kept everything the same but instead of Helvetica (or did you use Arial?) you'd used Curlz MT. Or Bones font. lol! You choose perfectly, so I applaud you as one designer to another. :up:

And thank you for the compliment on the trailer! :D I SO did not want to do anything with GT because I hate it, and even just scanning through the series (never watched it, never will) I hated it, but I was like, "Gahhhh...It's perfect for Taken! Vegeta would kill EVERYONE!!" lol

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:07 pm

I'm not a graphic designer, but I am a web designer. What fonts did everyone use for their video?

In my video I used a combination of the following fonts:

Trade Gothic Extended
Univers Extra Black
Helvetica Neue Condensed Extra Black
Futura Condensed Extra Black

I probably could have done with a bit more consistency... If I wanted I most likely could have just used the Helvetica Neue family for the entire thing. But what's the fun in that? :P

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:17 pm

irriadin wrote:What fonts did everyone use for their video?
coolvetica and impact
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
Org Profile

Post by kiarrens » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:39 pm

I think I remember using Comic Sans for comedic effect in mine... for the "Meanwhile, at the Allies' secret base" bit. For the actual word bubbles, I totally don't remember which font I used. O.o
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Cyanna wrote:
Miracle_Falcon wrote:Hey, actually, it dawns on me, Cyanna, I met you at the con that night I was panicking about missing the AMV awards. Was that Scintilla you were with? Dressed up as... was he Mephisto Pheles?
Yeah....you asked me about the Drama winners and I had the hardest time trying to describe the runner-up without a ballot. :lol:

He was this guy (the fact that it fit the IE theme was completely coincidental). Sorry that second pic is pretty disturbing but it explains the creepy red contact lenses.
Hey, glad to have met you! :D Sorry I wasn't more pleasant, I was flipping out. Also, I'm fairly certain I accused you of smoking pot at some point in the convention with the red eyes. Was that you too?

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Lucia Studios wrote:
VivifxAMV wrote:Yay!! I am so honored :)...I don't know how I managed to beat out Highschool of the Jiggle, but wow <3 But for reals does this mean I get a GUNDAM??? Because that would look so great next to my gundam from last year.
Yay!! :D I was so sad when yours didn't make finals, but the AMVs there were no disappoint.

Also, gundams, wat?

Last Year, the runner up prizes were gundams. I didn't get to attend last year, so I got a nice little gundam package mailed to me along with a few ballots and such. It was pretty neat XD

Loved your AMV btw -- especially the Facebook part - I think I may have fallen out of my chair. This was a really great year -- I am so glad I got to attend. And I had the good fortune of only sitting through 5 or so Overflow videos before getting to see mine on the big screen ^^
ImageImage

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Brittanysama wrote:Hey Vic i got a question. One of my friends who was at the Con said my Amv got shown at the contest even though it wasn't on that list on the front page. She said it was due to something with another editor vid not being able to be shown. I just a little confused on what happened lol since it wasn't listed on the page in the front. Did it get judged or anything because it not on the ballot thing up there? Or was it just shown to fill the spot?

Also Congrats to all the winners!! =D I bet the con was great, I wish i could have made it...
What happened was that we were alerted to some legal trouble with video #19 the day that the ballots went to print. Real Life got in the way and we didn't get a "fixed" version in time, so at the con I put the next-highest-scoring romance video, which was yours, in the #19 spot. It even got a few votes!
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Junipertay wrote:Congrats to everyone for a fantastic AMV contest AND A rockin' Overflow this year! :up: I really enjoyed everything I saw. And thanks to Vic and the AMV team for a beautiful presentation of everyone's submission and the sweet prizes for the winners. Scintilla did a great job hosting IE, and BTW I thought the IE "intro" with the mock TrueBlood opening was sweeeeeet. :awesome:
Intro is up on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqZgg-BOoLE
Youtube's black bar detection/resizing kinda asses up the video, but whatever. Someday I'll get around to throwing 6 years worth of intros up on the .org :ying:
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Return to “AMV Contests”