KATSUCON 2011 contest Winners AND Standings!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Re: KATSUCON 2011 contest Winners AND Standings!

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 am

sonicfan74 wrote: well i would be lying if i sad i wasnt a little disappointed with only 5th place but hey I'm glad I got in. congrats to the winners
For what it's worth, I talked to people after the contest, and asked what they thought the results would be. I remember asking a fellow editor this, and they thought that yours was a main contender - maybe it's just one of those things where editors like it more because they can realize all that went into it?
SammySamaProductions wrote: You tend to notice that trends change and from my recon at AMA I noticed some people vote on a video based on what series was used rather than the editing skills, which is okay I guess...
Yeah, I mean, it's their right. I still find it irritating, though that's probably just me being a sore loser. I honestly felt like I was gonna at least place in drama, and then was disappointed when I did see what won...

Actually, speaking of what won. :shock:
Deuce Loosely wrote:DRAMA - 377 total votes received
5. "Brothers in Arms" by Daniel Solon
4. "With Me" by Sky
3. "Letting Go" by Miracle Falcon
2. "Your Own Feet" by Bebop0083 - 108 votes
1. "To the Future" by Kazemon15 - 124 votes
Okay, maybe I'm nuts. But I was there yesterday, and "Your Own Feet" was announced as the winner, and screened, NOT "To the Future." Am I remembering this correctly....? I know that Gene called for Kazemon to come up, but I don't remember seeing To the Future screened yesterday - while I definitely remember Your Own Feet being played. So, the way I see it, there are three options:
1: I'm nuts, pure and simple.
2: Your Own Feet won some sort of special award and I'm just not remembering To The Future being screened (though it was my own category, and I think I'd remember).
3: Some sort of mix up occurred - perhaps Kazemon was correctly credited as winning, but the wrong video was paired with their name?
Last edited by Miracle_Falcon on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:19 am

Miracle_Falcon wrote:
SammySamaProductions wrote: You tend to notice that trends change and from my recon at AMA I noticed some people vote on a video based on what series was used rather than the editing skills, which is okay I guess...
Yeah, I mean, it's their right. I still find it irritating, though that's probably just me being a sore loser. I honestly felt like I was gonna at least place in drama, and then was disappointed when I did see what won...
People vote for videos of series they know for the most part. You can make what you think is the best romance AMV ever (and it very well could be), but if most of the audience doesn't know the characters, they don't have those "feeling" that you put into it and they don't "understand" the romance as much as someone who has SEEN that particular series. I personally try to use well known shows, but I try to use them at a time when they are not currently being overused.

Also, for the NSFW contest, did it still have the Judge's Choice, Coordinator's Choice, and Con Chair's Award's still or were they scrapped with the categories due to only being 8 videos?
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Post by Kosmit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 am

Deuce Loosely wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote:So, no "nsfw" contest, then?
Oh, it happened.
BOY did it happen...like wow!
For a first-year contest it went over like it's been around for five.
I only have titles but I'm sure the detailed results will be posted shortly after Toni (Crona) gets home.
I can tell you the winner left the rest of the pack shattered in the vote count.
Like they got well over 100 and the others in single-digits.

3. "Nom Nom Nom"
2. "DPH" by CorpseGoddess
1. "the Darkest of Places" by Kosmit
Yay! I actually won something! :awesome:
Wish I could see the audience reaction though...

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

Kosmit wrote: Yay! I actually won something! :awesome:
"Darkest" deserved it.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Congrats to the winners! Pretty cool to have kicked off the contest. Sorry I missed meeting up with some of you at the con.

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Miracle_Falcon wrote:
sonicfan74 wrote: well i would be lying if i sad i wasnt a little disappointed with only 5th place but hey I'm glad I got in. congrats to the winners
For what it's worth, I talked to people after the contest, and asked what they thought the results would be. I remember asking a fellow editor this, and they thought that yours was a main contender - maybe it's just one of those things where editors like it more because they can realize all that went into it?

Actually, speaking of what won. :shock:
Deuce Loosely wrote:DRAMA - 377 total votes received
5. "Brothers in Arms" by Daniel Solon
4. "With Me" by Sky
3. "Letting Go" by Miracle Falcon
2. "Your Own Feet" by Bebop0083 - 108 votes
1. "To the Future" by Kazemon15 - 124 votes
Okay, maybe I'm nuts. But I was there yesterday, and "Your Own Feet" was announced as the winner, and screened, NOT "To the Future." Am I remembering this correctly....? I know that Gene called for Kazemon to come up, but I don't remember seeing To the Future screened yesterday - while I definitely remember Your Own Feet being played. So, the way I see it, there are three options:
1: I'm nuts, pure and simple.
2: Your Own Feet won some sort of special award and I'm just not remembering To The Future being screened (though it was my own category, and I think I'd remember).
3: Some sort of mix up occurred - perhaps Kazemon was correctly credited as winning, but the wrong video was paired with their name?

I hope it's not a mistake, since it'll be my first win with that video. And against mainstream anime too. When I saw all those mainstream I automatically knew people weren't going to vote for it, because that's how people are sadly. "I love this anime/song! Im voting for it." Even when other people who edited better should deserve that vote....

But was happy to see that it won. Or at least....maybe won. :?

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:07 pm

NightMistress85 wrote:Congrats to the winners! Pretty cool to have kicked off the contest. Sorry I missed meeting up with some of you at the con.
You have an award coming as well.
You coulda picked it up if you were at the award show Sunday. ;)
I'm at a loss to remember which but it's among the three I have yet to fill in.

And regarding the Drama "controversy" ( :sweat: ), I copied the vote count for each video directly from Gene's notes. I think it was a matter of placing the wrong video in the playlist. It's happened before. At least no one sniped an errant trophy. :P
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Kazemon15
Org Profile

Post by Kazemon15 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:
And regarding the Drama "controversy" ( :sweat: ), I copied the vote count for each video directly from Gene's notes. I think he might have slipped and played the wrong video for the category. It's happened before. I think it was a matter of placing the wrong video in the playlist. At least no one sniped an errant trophy. :P

:D

That's good to here. I would feel bad celebrating if I wasn't actually a winner. :oops:

Gongrats to everyone too!

@Miracle: If it's any worth, I downloaded and watched your Angel Beats AMV and it made me motivated to finish the series. I watched 2 episodes and I couldn't bare to watch anymore without something worthwhile happening. So good job on that.

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:20 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:And regarding the Drama "controversy" ( :sweat: ), I copied the vote count for each video directly from Gene's notes. I think it was a matter of placing the wrong video in the playlist. It's happened before. At least no one sniped an errant trophy. :P
But I'm not crazy, right? I am remembering correctly that the FMA video was played yesterday as the winning entry, and that Kazemon15 was called up as a winner, but wasn't present?
Kazemon15 wrote:@Miracle: If it's any worth, I downloaded and watched your Angel Beats AMV and it made me motivated to finish the series. I watched 2 episodes and I couldn't bare to watch anymore without something worthwhile happening. So good job on that.
Well, thanks. But yeah, Angel Beats SUCKED at the beginning - I watched the first episode and quit. It took a lot of time during lunch breaks and the encouragement of a friend to get me back on the horse for this show, then suddenly, around episode... 6, I finally had all the motivation I needed to keep watching. Sorry, I probably spoiled a lot of the ending for you, though. :sweat:
Last edited by Miracle_Falcon on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:
NightMistress85 wrote:Congrats to the winners! Pretty cool to have kicked off the contest. Sorry I missed meeting up with some of you at the con.
You have an award coming as well.
You coulda picked it up if you were at the award show Sunday. ;)
I'm at a loss to remember which but it's among the three I have yet to fill in.
:shock: :shock: OMG! Totally shocked as this is my first Katsu award. Man, I totally planned to go, too, but I had to drive my friend to the airport earlier than expected >_>. Thanks for the heads up!

Return to “AMV Contests”