JCAs 2011 - Results in on page 6!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Re: JCAs - Results in on page 6!

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm

NS
Best Sound - The Sound
Lol'd
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:39 pm

I think both the judge selection and the nomination processes need to change next year. Otherwise I think the 'north-american-ness' is something you're exaggarating just a little - while there was definite consensus on some things, if you look at the actual votes, the judges' actual choices varied a lot. Likewise, I think all the judges were critical and I can vouch that everyone involved can explain why they chose some videos over others logically and in detail. There is definitely a big distinction from the VCA in that although the criteria were not agreed on as clearly as they could've among judges, at least every judge's choice was based on pretty specific criteria. Who's friends with who is not a criterion, and I have not once heard this come up during discussion - except in cases where we really needed to keep bias in check.

In some sense, I honestly think that having a more representative set of videos nominated will make a bigger difference than changing the judges. Again, consensus among judges is a myth - for example a couple of years ago when I was a judge in the JCA, the final VCA results actually turned out to be closer to my votes than the JCA results! And that meant that only 1/5 of my top JCA choices that year actually got first place. This year it's a bit more, but still far from all categories agree with my votes. At the same time, I acknowledge that all videos that got first, or even 2nd and 3rd place, completely deserve their awards. I think a more 'internationally representative' set of videos than the VCA semi-finalists will make a bigger difference than selecting 'representative' judges from around the world. Although both should happen, imo.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:52 pm

As a judge, there were two things I think were inherently wrong with the system, and Otohikio hit one of them on the head.

1) Nomations should not be soley limited to the Semi-Finalists. This knocks out a TON of great works. Moreover, if we do keep the Semi-Finalist requirement, I think we deserve an equal number of self-nominated videos. This way, viewers can work hand-in-hand with the judges, and show us works that we could not otherwise see. Kosmit did a great job of helping out the Russian community, by nominating videos that I had honestly never seen before.

2) International represenations should be a set requirement. I honestly think there should be about 10 judges for the panel. 3 of which are represenatives from the "big" AMV communities [US, Russia, Europe], which the users can vote for. A logistical nightmare, but it could be done. The final 7 could be the choices from the AMV community, as we have done in the past, but not limited to JUST a-m-v.org users.

So when we did nominations, it would look something like this:

US Rep:
Europe Rep:
Russia Rep:
Nom1
Nom2
Nom3
Nom4
Nom5
Nom6
Nom7

10 seems like a fair number to me, espsecially when you think how varied the current VCA judges tastes were.

Lirinis
Org Profile

Post by Lirinis » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:01 pm

CodeZTM wrote: So when we did nominations, it would look something like this:

US Rep:
Europe Rep:
Russia Rep:
Nom1
Nom2
Nom3
Nom4
Nom5
Nom6
Nom7

10 seems like a fair number to me, espsecially when you think how varied the current VCA judges tastes were.
Again, don't count per country. Count per community. (Err, is Europe a country or a community?)

1) a-m-v.org
2) amv-france
3) amvnews/akross
4) smaller ones? o_0

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm

Well, I meant per-community, it just got typed out wrong, and I didn't want to insult the Italian editors. :sweat:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Seems everyone comes to the same outcome, though in different words \o/

I think the biggest issue is with what Oto said, though. Managing 9 or 11 (odd number is better for cases of ties and stuff) judges isn't that harder, maybe it would just take a bit longer. But the judges have to choose from something, and that is hard to provide.

Also, you have to remember that there are over 20 categories. Even the process as is now takes most of the judges a few days to rate and comment on. If every community drops in a few new videos, it'll be a nightmare for EVERYONE.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:09 pm

That's actually something I totally forgot. It took me nearly... A week to watch all the semi finalists and get my nominations in. So while I'm not totally opposed to dropping the semifinalists rule all together, I do agree that we need a few extra nominations each, or at least a rule that prohibits us from nomination the same video in our extra nominations. Although once the nominations are over with, watching the videos for the finalists wasn't that bad at all. It was the comment writing that took so long. XD

Lirinis
Org Profile

Post by Lirinis » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:14 pm

National semifinals needed. :awesome:
And for sure there's no space for all the vca-semifinalists. :ying:

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:19 pm

Lirinis wrote:National semifinals needed. :awesome:
And for sure there's no space for all the vca-semifinalists. :ying:
I want a free spot in every category if I coordinate it :ying:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:15 pm

I still think an intercommunity contest, if there will be one, should *NOT* be the JCAs. The JCAs were specifically designed as a compliment to the VCA, which inherently ties them to the org.

Instead do something like "Here's the categories, each community nominates four or five vids per category and two judges in whatever way that community wants to. Then we judge". Assuming some duplicates, you'd end up with probably 10 to 15 vids per category. About what the VCA semi-finalists is now.

Return to “AMV Contests”