Unofficial AWA 2010 results thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
toothpickvic
Org Profile

Re: Unofficial AWA 2010 results thread

Post by toothpickvic » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:01 am

Mr Pilkington wrote:
Haunter103 wrote:All I have to say is:

OREGANO!
:rofl:

Dude, not like this- V
but like this- ||

Carrie Underwood
Carrie Nations

Nuff Said

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:19 am

Kosmit wrote:
Brakus wrote:I did notice lots of videos that have made the rounds elsewhere aren't being sent to AWA! I had a couple requests (from those that *did* come) to show "Darkest of Places" but Kosmit didn't sent it to us, nor someone on his behalf.
What, really? Damn...
There's a reason behind that to be honest. I've sent this video to Otakon and it wasn't even screened there for being 'too hot', so I thought it wouldn't have much sense to send it to another con just to see my AMV suffer a similar fate. That, and I don't like whoring - 'The Darkest of Places' won me 2 awards already so I thought that is enough already.
On the other hand, con audiences always love a funny video and who knows if many of them saw it elsewhere.
ImageImage

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Kosmit wrote:
Brakus wrote:I did notice lots of videos that have made the rounds elsewhere aren't being sent to AWA! I had a couple requests (from those that *did* come) to show "Darkest of Places" but Kosmit didn't sent it to us, nor someone on his behalf.
What, really? Damn...
There's a reason behind that to be honest. I've sent this video to Otakon and it wasn't even screened there for being 'too hot', so I thought it wouldn't have much sense to send it to another con just to see my AMV suffer a similar fate. That, and I don't like whoring - 'The Darkest of Places' won me 2 awards already so I thought that is enough already.
Actually, the Otakon AMV staff played it at the Iron Editor because they felt bad that they couldn't let it into finals for content -- but they had to cut it off in the middle of the first "ass". Still enough to get the audience roaring with laughter though.

I try to be pretty trolling-conscious, but AWA Expo is the one contest I have always sent all of my videos to no matter what awards they've won elsewhere. It's because the staff always gave me the impression that they want Expo to be a showcase of as many videos as they can get their hands on; they don't care what they are, where they're from, or what they've won as long as they love 'em. (Cf. "Shameless Rock Video", "Euphoria", etc.)

Plus, the more videos they get every year, the more secure AWA's role as the go-to convention for AMVs in the USA -- and now that I've been to the con myself and seen how well-run and fun it is, that's a reputation I'm glad to continue to support.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:17 pm

congrats everyone, enjoyed most of the contest, my favorite being Moonie's Bakemonogatari vid :o

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Scintilla wrote:Plus, the more videos they get every year, the more secure AWA's role as the go-to convention for AMVs in the USA -- and now that I've been to the con myself and seen how well-run and fun it is, that's a reputation I'm glad to continue to support.
x2

I can't consider expo trolling simply because, to me, it's a showcase. The awards are gravy.
And yes, you need to support the con and come again next year. We forgot to give you our guest award, dropped by a local restaurant to snag it and didn't get a chance to get it too you.

Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Post by Kosmit » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:30 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:
Scintilla wrote:Plus, the more videos they get every year, the more secure AWA's role as the go-to convention for AMVs in the USA -- and now that I've been to the con myself and seen how well-run and fun it is, that's a reputation I'm glad to continue to support.
x2

I can't consider expo trolling simply because, to me, it's a showcase. The awards are gravy.
I'll keep this in mind for next year. I wish I could attend - AWA seems an awesome con for AMV makers. Atlanta is so damn far though, I'd have to spend around 1000$ on plane tickets only. Getting a visa for a Pole is another story... :/

zeiram_00
Org Profile

Post by zeiram_00 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:27 pm

CDVV:
sorry, i refuse to believe that with so many editors and videos in the AMV community that this group of editors is able to consistantly and fairly win the number of awards they do (at least at AWA, 'cause i haven't really run into them much at the other contests i keep up with). Also, it's not really just the CDVV people as much as the Illinois area editors i kinda lump together as being the same group and just use CDVV as my general naming for that whole group. And its not that i have a personal grudge with any of the people, if you've read my reviews you'll see that i actually enjoyed/liked some of their videos, just don't like the preferential treatment their vids seem to get because they're "big name / famous" editors.

@Kham
wow, you really can't handle criticism at all can you? And i'm tired of everybody giving this "i worked really hard on blahblahblah" oh yeah, big whoop. i worked really hard at taking a giant shit that clogged the toilet, do you see me demanding praise on my huge feces log just because i worked my ass off for it? NO, because a piece of shit is still a piece of shit no matter how much work goes into it. And if you wanna try the "my editing skills are so awesome you can't handle it" excuse, lets pause to take a look at your video shall we.
-9min of techno music = techno is extremely repetitive and 9min worth is torturous if not on some form of narcotic
-large collection of current popular HD movie trailers = congratulations on spending that much time in front of your computer for satisfying nerds hunger for pretty images of things they're already fanboys for
-plot, story, meaning = ??? was there one? and its suppose to be a sequel? just because you hard cut to every other beat to scenes with movement in them doesnt mean there is anything of substance to it. and there were definitely no themes present unless you consider a theme of having similar looking scenes grouped together in small chunks with no relevance to anything else in the video.

and to touch on the point brought up by requiett, it is truly sad that the amv community is headed down the road of applauding videos with no substance and just mindless 'flashy' effects or heavy movement. if things keep up like this given a couple years amv's may be reduced to nothing more than trippy screensavers set to music.

Now that i'm finished "whining" i'm gonna take a few months siesta before coming back to work on new projects.
And a big thanks to all the AWA staff for putting up with all us crazy folks.
People are Stupid, Individuals are Intelligent

RottenJesus
Org Profile

Post by RottenJesus » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:55 pm

I don't want to get on anyones sides here when the shitstorm goes on, just something that caught my eye:
zeiram_00 wrote: @Kham
wow, you really can't handle criticism at all can you?
You weren't criticizing him, you were just saying "-fk fk fk fk fk fuck you Appletree and your creator!". That's just flaming, and you shouldn't be surprised when Kham's flaming back on this. I would do that too. But if you have problems with each other, PMs or chat would be better than here.
it is truly sad that the amv community is headed down the road of applauding videos with no substance and just mindless 'flashy' effects or heavy movement.
Hasn't that always been like that? Especially on public contests, the fast, flashy, funny, ecchi videos with a well known source and a well known song get the most reaction from the audience. Doesn't make them better videos than drama / character profile, just makes them impressing or "easier to watch", especially for someone who doesn't watch amvs a lot (and most people in an audience are like that I think).

And, because I missed it before: Congratulations to all other winners ^^

kikai_saigono
Org Profile

Post by kikai_saigono » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Sorry, I have to point this out real quick, and then i'll go back to hiding in my hole:
zeiram_00 wrote:CDVV:
Also, it's not really just the CDVV people as much as the Illinois area editors i kinda lump together as being the same group and just use CDVV as my general naming for that whole group. And its not that i have a personal grudge with any of the people, if you've read my reviews you'll see that i actually enjoyed/liked some of their videos, just don't like the preferential treatment their vids seem to get because they're "big name / famous" editors.
I just moved to Chicago what, a month ago? I haven't ever won anything in any amv contest. In fact, I've never even entered an amv in to a contest. I have my own studio, thanks, which you can head on over to my profile and see if you're so inclined. So I don't feel it's fair to lump everyone who lives in Illinois in with CDVV. More people in Chicago are in RDS than CDVV. Just because I live right down the hall from Ileia doesn't mean I'm a shoe-in to win any contest I've ever entered. Then again, I haven't made a video since 2007...

Also, I like that you use the term "famous" when describing editors. Like, if you were walking down the street and asked a stranger who their favorite editor was, they would know what you were even talking about?

Of course, how is any of this new? There are always going to be sore losers who cry foul play when their precious video doesn't win. Like that's what editing is all about.
Youtuber wrote:What is an MEP exactly? I looked it up but I don't think it has anything to do with being a Member of the European Parliament.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:35 pm

zeiram_00 wrote: HERPDERP

Return to “AMV Contests”