Anime Los Angeles 2011 AMV Contest *WINNERS*

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Squancho
Org Profile

Re: Anime Los Angeles 2011 AMV Contest

Post by Squancho » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:36 am

anneke...
I've only been making AMVs for 5 1/2 years and have learned a lot in terms of etiquette and protocol where contests are concerned (in case you didn't pay attention to my previous post).

One of those rules is, if a video doesn't win / make the finals for at least three different contests, either work on improving it or make another.

Case in point...my previous drama video for Elfen Lied with "Assassin" from Muse. I had a solid concept and was certain this would net my first ever major award. I only made one ballot and this was for a contest which is becoming notorious for being proportionally short on submissions received in spite of its convention's size. The admins of their AMV department refuse to revert back to what works in favor of tinkering each year with the formula but that's beside the point.

Anyway, after getting feedback from a few "notable" people in the community I realized where I went wrong in the execution of my video. I dread having to go back and make the adjustments as there is a metric fuck-ton of scenes to filter through. I also have to narrow the story some because trying to fit it all within a 3:30 time frame doesn't work. Plus I think this video is closer to the action category than drama and I'll probably focus a bit more on that.

While I'm plotting what's to be done about that one, I also created what is my latest work: a parody of the Old Spice "I'm on a horse" TV advert using an original script and sprites from the Phoenix Wright DS games. It marks my return to comedy since it seems to be a category editors have been ignoring recently. Anyway, I think I have a solid video and have received no negative response about it yet so prospects are good...which brings me to how you should maybe get others to view and critique your videos before submitting them so you can work on what needs it and turn in a better contest submission.

Just trying to help. The trick is you have to pay attention and listen. ;)
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

1moongoddess7
Org Profile

Post by 1moongoddess7 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 am

I just emailed download links for my entries a few minutes ago (RIGHT before the deadline). Hopefully you receive them alright. If there are any problems, I'll do my best to fix them right away.

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:43 am

MikalSaltveit wrote:Updated List: (new entries bolded)
Ryan Molina
David Nguyen
Erin Nguyen
Mike Hernandez
Nic Neidenbach
Isaac Fischer
Katherine Cullen
Jill Lanpher

Billy Taing
Victoria Galietta
Sean McPartland
Edwin Hollowell

I have recieved 15 videos. Please remember that videos I receive before December 1st have priority.

-Mikal
I thought December 1st is the deadline...? :|
MikalSaltveit wrote:And some of us believe submitting and then never even bothering to show up is trolling. It is lucky for all of us that there are so many conventions that this even becomes an issue.
That's not really trolling, some people just can't make it really for many reasons or afford the time and money to travel halfway across the country/world. Trolling is when a video is submitted to many conventions over and over just to win prizes. A google search is just a mouse click away if you'd like to check on entries so it really shouldn't be a issue. Many people are suggesting or implicating that cutting out people for not attending the convention is really drawing down the amount of videos that are being sent in, quality ones too. In all this is a contest, so why not make it fair for everyone to enter?

KiKi Umara Death
Org Profile

Post by KiKi Umara Death » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Hey I'm gonna enter one. It says that the deadline has been extended to the 5th. But what does it mean when it says link your video to them? Does it mean threw here or can it be from elsewhere?

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:47 pm

KiKi Umara Death wrote:Hey I'm gonna enter one. It says that the deadline has been extended to the 5th. But what does it mean when it says link your video to them? Does it mean threw here or can it be from elsewhere?
It means they are taking download links (from RapidShare, Wegaupload, etc).
You have to upload your video to one of those kinds of sites and send them the resulting link.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

KiKi Umara Death
Org Profile

Post by KiKi Umara Death » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm

Ok thanks so much. n.n

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Wow, I send my 'worst' video to ALA? Really?! What a thing to say. Doesn't make me want to send videos to the contest ever again. My best videos I generally can not send due to content (I also do not send videos that have won at bigger conventions because I do not troll), but I do not send my worst videos (then I do not go out and make 'bad' videos), I actually tend to send new videos to ALA (because it's before Fanime). Last year I sent a brand new video I was extremely proud of only to watch it butchered by tech. The year before I sent one new video and one older video that had not won any awards, only to have my time wasted because a troll was in the contest. And yes I'm going to get upset about how things are run, because with a rule of having to attend the contest, I'm not only wasting my time and money by making a video for the contest, but also in attending the convention.
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Yuusharo
Org Profile

Post by Yuusharo » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:37 pm

KiKi Umara Death wrote:Hey I'm gonna enter one. It says that the deadline has been extended to the 5th. But what does it mean when it says link your video to them? Does it mean threw here or can it be from elsewhere?
The deadline is still the 1st (I posted bad information on the Facebook group, my bad). Please visit this website to submit your video, then send us a link where we can download it. If you need to work something out with us, like you'll send it through IM or something, let us know in the 'notes' section, or email amv2011@animelosangeles.org for help.

http://www.alaamv.info

1moongoddess7 wrote:I just emailed download links for my entries a few minutes ago (RIGHT before the deadline). Hopefully you receive them alright. If there are any problems, I'll do my best to fix them right away.
You're stuff is usually always good, except that you use that funny lagarith lossless codec sometimes ;). It always works out, though.
Ryvannis wrote:
MikalSaltveit wrote:And some of us believe submitting and then never even bothering to show up is trolling. It is lucky for all of us that there are so many conventions that this even becomes an issue.
That's not really trolling, some people just can't make it really for many reasons or afford the time and money to travel halfway across the country/world. Trolling is when a video is submitted to many conventions over and over just to win prizes. A google search is just a mouse click away if you'd like to check on entries so it really shouldn't be a issue. Many people are suggesting or implicating that cutting out people for not attending the convention is really drawing down the amount of videos that are being sent in, quality ones too. In all this is a contest, so why not make it fair for everyone to enter?
That's a good point, Ryvannis. I understand that not everyone can make it to the convention. Part of the logic behind that rule is due to the fact that we are a local convention, so its a chance for local people to gather together and compete and have fun. We're not the only event that requires you to attend to participate. It would be hard to be part of the Masquerade if you're across the country, for example ;).

Obviously that's apples to oranges, but you get my point. But I'll be happy to bring this issue up with Mikal and the Event Director. Maybe we'll work something out for next year's contest.

anneke wrote:Wow, I send my 'worst' video to ALA? Really?! What a thing to say. Doesn't make me want to send videos to the contest ever again. My best videos I generally can not send due to content (I also do not send videos that have won at bigger conventions because I do not troll), but I do not send my worst videos (then I do not go out and make 'bad' videos), I actually tend to send new videos to ALA (because it's before Fanime). Last year I sent a brand new video I was extremely proud of only to watch it butchered by tech. The year before I sent one new video and one older video that had not won any awards, only to have my time wasted because a troll was in the contest. And yes I'm going to get upset about how things are run, because with a rule of having to attend the contest, I'm not only wasting my time and money by making a video for the contest, but also in attending the convention.
Let me just start by saying that I am truly sorry about your video having playback problems during the show. We had to result to running the originals that were sent to us by the creators for the Drama category, and that PC we had running had difficulty running your MPEG for some reason. The backup computer, which was originally designated to run the contest, was busy working on the other two categories while Drama was playing. To be fair, at least your video was shown not once, but twice. Sadly, those in the Pro category weren't played at all. They came out same as everyone else.

I'm not going to speak on behalf of anyone else at the AMV staff, only for myself. I've participated in this contest since 2006. The first time I met you was when you submitted your "Waiting" video. I had submitted my first-ever AMV and thought it was so cool to see it on the big screen like that. I was pleasantly surprised to see "Waiting" at Anime Expo later that year. I even think I voted for it. In five years, I haven't had a single AMV of mine accepted into Anime Expo. I don't get upset by it, nor let it keep me down. I just get up the next day, start a new video and hope for the best.

To me, just getting your stuff shown on a giant screen in front of hundreds of fans is enough reward in itself. To think that one of my videos was competing in the same contest as NightHawk's "Be a Man," Studio Hybrid's "Baccano Swing," even Mie'Aga's action packed "Blood to a Beat" was pretty awesome. I honestly don't even remember who won what. It was just a treat to see all these guys in one place and talk to them.

I know everyone has an opinion one way or another about what trolling is, or whether or not its even a problem. Some contests have rules in place, others don't. I don't recall any rule in Anime Expo's contest, for example, that restricts a video from entering if its has won other contests before. To them, their definition of "trolling" is a video that has either participated in a previous Anime Expo contest, or otherwise any video that doesn't lend itself to be defined as an "Anime Music Video." So, why is it alright for AX to allow videos that have participated elsewhere, but not us? Is it because more people attend that convention than ours, or because they have more entries than we do? That's what I'm not understanding.

All I can say to wrap up is each year we get more and more entries to our contest, and the show content gets better and better. The feedback for the contest is usually very positive. That said, we're not ignoring your complaints or anyone else's. We really do want to work to make this the best AMV Contest around. We're not going to run the contest by committee, but we're definitely open to suggestion. If the creators aren't happy, they won't sent their vids, and we don't have a contest. Simple as that.
Last edited by Yuusharo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.youtube.com/yuusharo - YouTube Channel
http://www.AnimeLosAngeles.org - Anime Los Angeles AMV Events Staff (2008-2012), AMV Competition Coordinator (2015- )
http://www.Anime-Conji.org/ - Anime Conji AMV Events Staff (2013-2015)
http://www.Anime-Expo.org - Anime Expo AMV Events Staff (2015-2018)
http://SakuraCon.org - Sakura-Con AMV Events Staff (2016- )

MikalSaltveit
Org Profile

Post by MikalSaltveit » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 pm

anneke wrote:And yes I'm going to get upset about how things are run, because with a rule of having to attend the contest, I'm not only wasting my time and money by making a video for the contest, but also in attending the convention.
You sound bitter. If we are a waste of your time, then lets both be done arguing ok? There is no reason to discuss this on a public forum.

On Topic : I have been having some technical issues with my e-mail and anything sent to me over the past 24 hours may not have made it through. After doing some testing, some e-mail address can get through fine while others fail with no bounce message (making this a difficult problem to diagnose). I have the assurance of my server host that the issue has been resolved, but I request that any mail sent in to AMV11@saltve.it be resent, and CC'd to amv2011@animelosangeles.org

The submission form is now also not working. This works fine as the deadline is past, but I didn't intend this to happen.

Thank you,
-Mikal

1moongoddess7
Org Profile

Post by 1moongoddess7 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:38 pm

MikalSaltveit wrote: On Topic : I have been having some technical issues with my e-mail and anything sent to me over the past 24 hours may not have made it through. After doing some testing, some e-mail address can get through fine while others fail with no bounce message (making this a difficult problem to diagnose). I have the assurance of my server host that the issue has been resolved, but I request that any mail sent in to AMV11@saltve.it be resent, and CC'd to amv2011@animelosangeles.org
Re-sent mine. Hopefully it got through this time...?

Return to “AMV Contests”