How do you use after effects and sony vegas together?

Sora no Honou 空の炎
Org Profile

How do you use after effects and sony vegas together?

Post by Sora no Honou 空の炎 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:19 am

I have recently got After Effects and have been trying to learn it, and am very familiar with sony vegas. I hear alot about using after effects and premier together somehow, but how does that work? And how can I use it with Sony Vegas (version 8.0c)? Do I make the whole thing in vegas, then just use after effects for effects or... what? Or can I make it all in ae? Thanks for your help. :D

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: How do you use after effects and sony vegas together?

Post by Kariudo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:55 pm

Premiere and AE can work together because they're both Adobe products. A seamless workflow between the two is what they're going for.

You won't be able to take a vegas project and just plop it into AE like you would a premiere project looks like someone found a way.
I'd do all your editing in vegas, and then add effects with AE afterwords (syncing to audio in AE is the 8th circle of hell)

Sora no Honou 空の炎
Org Profile

Post by Sora no Honou 空の炎 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:38 pm

Kariudo wrote:looks like someone found a way.
I'd do all your editing in vegas, and then add effects with AE afterwords (syncing to audio in AE is the 8th circle of hell)
Thanks for that. Cant wait to try it out. And yes, syncing audio in AE is indeed the 8th circle of hell.

RolltheStampede
Org Profile

Post by RolltheStampede » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 pm

thats why you sync the audio in adobe PREMIER.

Most likely you would have to export out from Vegas to use it in after effects and vis versa. If you cant export with something that maintains alpha channels you could try green screening it and taking it out that way, assuming you are doing something like that.

There are a lot of cool video tutorials on Creative Cow.net
http://library.creativecow.net/tutorial ... ectsbasics
Newest Video:Cirque du Kaliedo
Video Pimpage Loves got to be there | Sungazing | 7 Seas of Enishi

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Killerwombat wrote:I have recently got After Effects and have been trying to learn it, and am very familiar with sony vegas. I hear alot about using after effects and premier together somehow, but how does that work? And how can I use it with Sony Vegas (version 8.0c)? Do I make the whole thing in vegas, then just use after effects for effects or... what? Or can I make it all in ae? Thanks for your help. :D
I recently got After Effects too and am a long time Vegas user. At first I thought I would do what everyone is saying, video in Vegas -> AE for more effects. But the more I play around with it the more I'm going in the opposite direction. I prefer to make short clips in AE and then use them in my Vegas projects, although I'm still just starting to combine them.
AE is great for working in 3D and masking in it is so much better than in vegas. Besides, I know it would drive me crazy to try and sync effects for a project that is already rendered together as opposed to being able to apply them to specific clips.

I guess it depends on people's preferences. I think experimenting with AE independent of vegas helped me get a better understanding of what it can do.

Sora no Honou 空の炎
Org Profile

Post by Sora no Honou 空の炎 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:35 am

I tried doing that aaf filetype thing in the vid, but it didnt work. Is there anyway that I can do this please? Should I just make bits and pieces in AE, then just import them into vegas? Also how can I do this without rendering the video from AE, keeping alpha channels, and having no loss in quality...

Return to “Video Editing Software”