Help me find this feature.

JohnnySnow
Org Profile

Help me find this feature.

Post by JohnnySnow » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:21 am

Hi there.

I'm relatively new to video editing and have always used Windows Movie Maker. However, I've know for a while now that Windows Movie Maker lacks a feature that I really want to be able to use. Now I'm looking to trade up, and don't mind spending a bit of money, but I don't know what exactly you'd call this particular feature. Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Basically: Syncing video to music in WMM is frustrating because clips added to the timeline always "snap" to the end of the available space. If I have a music track already in place and an empty timeline, I cannot simply drop video clips in at a certain point in the middle of the song, which is annoying.

I've tried a few other free programs which surprisingly seemed to lack this feature -- I would have thought it would be pretty basic, and I'm sure I'm just looking in all the wrong places. Could someone point me in the direction of a lightweight program that can handle this?

Mastamind
Org Profile

Re: Help me find this feature.

Post by Mastamind » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:33 am

I remember, back when I used to edit with WMM, the same thing bugged me. I'm pretty sure I found a way around it- maybe place a random clip starting from where you left off, cut it to the part you want to edit, then erase the clip. Haven't used that program in a while though, so details I'd learned are pretty vague.
I'd really reccomend getting another program, though. I use Sony Vegas, and Adobe Premiere and After Effects are popular among many others. Try them out, and good luck. :up:

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:59 pm

I remember I used to fix such issues with simpel black images that I pasted on the timeline to fill the gaps.

This was back in 2001 with Ulead Video Studio 5. Wow I feel old now :|
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 pm

JohnnySnow wrote: I've tried a few other free programs which surprisingly seemed to lack this feature -- I would have thought it would be pretty basic, and I'm sure I'm just looking in all the wrong places. Could someone point me in the direction of a lightweight program that can handle this?
:shock: What have you tried?? I hated that in WMM too. But I don't know of any other software that does it. I use sony vegas, I used to use Magix. I've also sampled adobe programs and they don't do it either.

Darklydone
Org Profile

Post by Darklydone » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:51 am

Seemed to be a pretty basic thing in Adobe Premiere 6.0 and CS4. Can take clips and place them anywhere I want in the timeline. I think maybe they did jump to the previous clip in 6.0 but you could always move it out if you needed to.
The one legged space chicken is after me again.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm

If you can spend 50 bucks, or even less, then you might want to consider magix since it doesn't have this issue. ;)

Termpapers
Org Profile

Post by Termpapers » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 am

2010 Video Editing Software Film lovers, family historians and YouTube enthusiasts: You can produce professional looking video clips easily, without high tech editing equipment - with Video Editing Software..Try the trial version first.

Term Papers

Return to “Video Editing Software”