huge files with adding audio to avi file with VirtualDub Mod

For help and discussion about specific video editing systems like Adobe software, Windows Movie Maker, Magix, Sony Vegas, etc. Please note the subforums.

huge files with adding audio to avi file with VirtualDub Mod

Postby moondog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 pm

I know some things about audio and audio compressing, but i'm quite new to the video editing.
I am trying to make some simple video clips for my band. We recorded a song, i ripped it to mp3 (for the sake of getting a small video i can put on yutube i ripped it to 128 kbps). I recorded a video with my photo camera. It is 4:31 minutes and 83,4 MB. Then i disabled the sound of it with Stream List in Virtual Dub Mod 1.5 and i put the band song in it as an audio stream (the mp3 is 4,63 MB). When i saved the file it took like 1,5 hours to process it and the result is a file of 547 MB. How is this possible and what did i do wrong? I don't remember which compression mode i used but i put it on 80% quality i think. Movies of 2 hours with reasonable good quality are usually 700 mb. So how can this 4:31 minutes video be 547 MB?

I'd apreciate any help!

Greetings
moondog

Re: huge files with adding audio to avi file with VirtualDub Mod

Postby Mastamind » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Maybe you used a lossless codec or even saved it as uncompressed? That might explain it, try compressing to another codec like xvid. If that still gives you a huge file, disable the audio and see if it has any effect on the size.
Mastamind

Postby moondog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks for your quick reply.

In the list of possible codecs i don't have xvid, where can i get a good one? Also, what is the difference between xvid and divx? That last one i do have, it says DivX 6.8.5 Code (2 Logical CPUs), does that mean i need a processor with two cpus? Dual core i mean.
moondog

Postby Mastamind » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:28 pm

No, I think encoding to divx will do just fine on most computers. And I'm not so sure about xvid, I don't use it :| Just try out divx, see if that'll do you any good.
Mastamind

Postby Bauzi » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:02 am

Dual Core in codec descriptions mean:
If you have more than one cpu core than they will use them. If somebody has only one than the codec will only use one.

I suggest XviD because it's freeware and simply better than DivX.

This guide will help you to compress to XviD with Virtual Dub Mod for fine results:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... /xvid.html
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby moondog » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:11 pm

Thanks guys for your help! I downloaded XviD and I encoded it at Target Quantisizer 25 and now it is only 16 MB. It also was done much faster. Great.
moondog

Return to Video Editing Software