Issue with Importing in Finalcut Pro

For help and discussion about specific video editing systems like Adobe software, Windows Movie Maker, Magix, Sony Vegas, etc. Please note the subforums.

Issue with Importing in Finalcut Pro

Postby thepokeduck » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:16 pm

I ripped my dvd and encoded my footage perfectly. I now have mp4s that play just fine in quicktime.

However, FinalCut Pro is not recognizing them when I try to import them. Has anyone had this problem before and know of a solution?
thepokeduck

Re: Issue with Importing in Finalcut Pro

Postby Vax » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:15 pm

You're not supposed to edit with mp4s. It's a distrubiting codec and is not used for editing. So, you have to encode your files to lossless with VirtualDubMod and it will be fine.
Vax
Sexy black guy

Postby LantisEscudo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:54 pm

Vax wrote:You're not supposed to edit with mp4s. It's a distrubiting codec and is not used for editing. So, you have to encode your files to lossless with VirtualDubMod and it will be fine.

Vax, Final Cut means they're on a Mac, and won't have VirtualDubMod without jumping through some hoops.

thepokeduck, that said, he's right, you shouldn't be editing using mp4s. Check out the Macintosh sections of the first post in this thread for some good advice on getting your footage into your editor.
LantisEscudo

Postby Castor Troy » Wed May 06, 2009 1:40 pm

mpegstreamclip ftw
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Return to Video Editing Software