What editors use photoshop for?

For help and discussion about specific video editing systems like Adobe software, Windows Movie Maker, Magix, Sony Vegas, etc. Please note the subforums.

What editors use photoshop for?

Postby Minimoto » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:54 pm

I have always been wondering, but what exactly do editors use photoshop for? I recently obtained Adobe CS 8.0 as a gift from my uncle but am at a loss as to what editors use it for? Do they use it to edit photos and stick those in their AMV? For like, stationary parts? Please enlighten me as to the use.

Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.
Minimoto

Re: What editors use photoshop for?

Postby The Origonal Head Hunter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:24 am

Masking, mostly.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english

Boredom.
The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:40 am

anime uses a lot of stationary scenes with panning so its easy to manipulate a video if you are aware of that technique.. I've used photoshop to do that.

also for frame by frame manipulation/editing.

and a technique most commonly known as "masking" or rotoscoping, usually involves cutting out a character or an object over several frames and layering them into a new background. Here is a guide about masking.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Zarxrax » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:45 am

Zarxrax

Postby ngsilver » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 am

I do a lot of rotoscoping with photoshop rather then AE. I also used to and sometimes still do use PS to create titles and to input text in a format I specifically want into a video rather then use the Title option. I also create simple effects with it, which usually include masking. It also helps with lip syncing. Finally I use it as a test bed for color based effects, as it's easier to test with a screenshot how a change in color will look rather then having to alter the settings and re-render each time.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Minimoto » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:01 pm

I see... thank for the replies guys.

Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.
Minimoto

Postby Minimoto » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:33 pm

How do you take a frame from the video? Do you just save as snapshot or something?

Minimoto

Postby LivingFlame » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:47 am

The exact terminology can vary from editor to editor, but most of them have an option that's something along the lines of "Export Frame" or "Save Frame As."

I know Premiere also has an option to export an Image Sequence, where you can select a portion of the timeline and automatically export each frame as an individual image file. It's convenient because you can edit each frame independently in Photoshop and then import the image sequence back into Premiere as a piece of video rather than just a bunch of image files. I've actually never had to export an image sequence out of Vegas, so I'm not sure if it will do that, though I know it can import an image sequence the same way as Premiere.
... yea ...
LivingFlame

Postby JaddziaDax » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:28 pm

you can also use virtualdub mod to save an image sequence...
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Minimoto » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:39 pm

Can't seem to find the option with Vegas so I'm going to download that virtualdub.

/Downloaded and attempting to learn how to use.

Minimoto

Postby Vivaldi » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:48 pm

Of course, using photoshop for masking and effects is more of a compromise for people who already have it and don't have the money to buy something else. If you're buying it just for amvs, don't. Get after effects instead, that's what it was designed for.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!
Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist

Postby Minimoto » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:17 pm

Vivaldi wrote:Of course, using photoshop for masking and effects is more of a compromise for people who already have it and don't have the money to buy something else. If you're buying it just for amvs, don't. Get after effects instead, that's what it was designed for.

This was a gift from my uncle, so I just accepted it.

Minimoto

Postby Castor Troy » Thu May 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Masking, rotoscoping, text, like most people use.

I literally can't survive without photoshop anymore, since I use it for my job.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Return to Video Editing Software