Slight Problem

MaliceDX
Org Profile

Slight Problem

Post by MaliceDX » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:50 pm

I'm unsure where to stick this, so I'll go ahead and post it in this category.

I got Sony Vegas 8.0 several weeks ago, but have finally taken interest into making an AMV. Well, I started it up and opened a Code Geass file to get started. It popped into the timeline as expected; so I went off to see it before I began editing. Thing is, I couldn't see it in the preview box. I could only hear it.

I'm new to this, so I'm not sure what I did wrong or what I didn't do right. It's an .avi file if that helps any. I don't think I'll be able to do this right if I can't see what I'm doing. I really hope someone can help me. It sucks getting stuck at the very beginning of a project. =/

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Re: Slight Problem

Post by Vivaldi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm

The problem is that the avi file uses either a DivX or Xvid codec, which can't be used for editing. It should be converted to a lossless codec like lagirith or HuffYUV.

[uel=http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtechbeta/]this[/url] is a very in depth guide made specifically for amvs. It explains pretty everything you need to know, and provides download links for any programs you'll for converting, ripping ect ect. Be warned, it's a very long guide, and most people have to read through it a few times to really "get" it. But it's very reccomended.

this is a series of short video tutorials ment to get new amv editors on their feet quickly. but note that it cannot replace the guide above. (And I personally can't vouch for it since I haven't seen it.)

Last thing, this site is officially against using downloaded footage. As such, we reccomend that you use DVDs instead. Asking about using or acquiring downloaded footage is will most likely get a hostile response from most people. So don't bother unless you're really stumped. :wink:

hope you have a good time here. And good luck on your first amv.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:31 pm

Vivaldi wrote:The problem is that the avi file uses either a DivX or Xvid codec, which can't be used for editing. It should be converted to a lossless codec like lagirith or HuffYUV.

this is a very in depth guide made specifically for amvs. It explains pretty everything you need to know, and provides download links for any programs you'll for converting, ripping ect ect. Be warned, it's a very long guide, and most people have to read through it a few times to really "get" it. But it's very reccomended.

this is a series of short video tutorials ment to get new amv editors on their feet quickly. but note that it cannot replace the guide above. (And I personally can't vouch for it since I haven't seen it.)

Last thing, this site is officially against using downloaded footage. As such, we reccomend that you use DVDs instead. Asking about using or acquiring downloaded footage is will most likely get a hostile response from most people. So don't bother unless you're really stumped. :wink:

hope you have a good time here. And good luck on your first amv.
link fix'd
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!

Darknessheal
Org Profile

Post by Darknessheal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Try not to use avi as the compression to edit try to convert it or smthing because most cases with xvid and divx have some encryption and can't be shown when used on sony vegas

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Darknessheal wrote:Try not to use avi as the compression to edit try to convert it or smthing because most cases with xvid and divx have some encryption and can't be shown when used on sony vegas
Avi is mearly the container. Yes Xvid and DivX cannot be used, but avi itself is fine and probably the most used format. (for amvs anyway). An editing codec like lagirith is made to be used with avi.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!

MaliceDX
Org Profile

Post by MaliceDX » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Thanks for the help. Now I understand what was wrong, plus I learned quite a bit from that guide. :D

Return to “Video Editing Software”