Overlay Trouble

nevada11
Org Profile

Overlay Trouble

Post by nevada11 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Okay, so I'm trying to do overlays with a composition mode.

But the problem is, the layer under is all fucked up like.

Serious help.

Okay so Track 1 and Track 2 originally had Alpha Mode-- the default mode for all video tracks

So I'm gonna set Track 1 [Overlay Track] into Hard Light mode. Yeah @ the overlay portion it looks sweet I guess...

Now look at the bottom track without it playing the overlay:

I've tried setting them both to Hard Light. Any other effect doesn't work either. I've been around this problem for days with different clips and compression(THERE ARE NOT DIVX,XVID). Please don't advise me to turn to other alternatives like using the sony fx.

Also the clips and such were placed randomly ;).

Thanks for everything peeps.

[MOD 403: unlocked]

nevada11
Org Profile

Re: Overlay Trouble

Post by nevada11 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:13 pm

Well, I tried a few things.

I found out you can render it and try the overlay but its a bit troublesome, time consuming, and less controllable.

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:18 pm

You need 2 tracks. Use the little arrow next to the composing mode icon, it will say 'make composting child' click on it to make a parent and child composing track. Set the first track (the 'parent' the one on top) to overlay and leave the second as source alpha. Put the scenes that you want to use overlay on in those two tracks. If there is nothing in those tracks than all other tracks underneath will not be affected by the composing mode like they are in your screenshots.
I don't have screenshots but you can probably understand that right. :wink:

nevada11
Org Profile

Post by nevada11 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:49 pm

Seems a bit confusing but I'm gonna try it now.

If all fails then I might just end up converting to Adobe After Effects, I've tried some tv stimulator overlays on vegas for a while now and it looks like crap.

AE's effects are more better looking and more controllable as well (I.E. composition).

Anyway yeah, Ill try what you said

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:20 pm

nevada11 wrote:Seems a bit confusing but I'm gonna try it now.

If all fails then I might just end up converting to Adobe After Effects, I've tried some tv stimulator overlays on vegas for a while now and it looks like crap.

AE's effects are more better looking and more controllable as well (I.E. composition).

Anyway yeah, Ill try what you said
:shock: Wow wow wow wow wow. Okay, I must have failed in my explanation. It's really not that complicated. No need to go off and buy other software. When you get software you have to learn how it works. This is just how it works in vegas. I do it in almost every project I edit. I just figured out how to take a screenshot so I will try and post it to show you. Really not complicated. Once you've done it you will understand how easy it is and be able to use it whenever you want.

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:19 pm

This is your problem:

Now this is what you do to solve it:

Problem fixed:

Those are a parent and child composing track. My tracks say 9 10 and 11 but it would be 1 2 and 3 of what you were showing. The top track which is called 'composting parent' track is set to hard light, the track below it which is called 'composting child' track is set to source alpha and so are the track/tracks below them. Put the 2 layers that you want to overlay on those tracks and what you don't want to be affected on the tracks below it. If there is something in one of those tracks than you won't be able to see the tracks below, so make sure that there is nothing on them when you want to see other tracks:

I guess my explanation was confusing, but it's really pretty simple right? So no need to go and buy other software or anything drastic like that okay :sweat:

nevada11
Org Profile

Post by nevada11 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:57 pm

Oh my goodness :sweat:
Thanks a TON

I don't know how I can express my thanks enough. So I'll just thanks again. Really was more simple than I thought.

:)

Kanti13
Org Profile

Post by Kanti13 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:22 am

Lol, you're welcom. :)
Vegas has a lot of subtleties that are hard to figure out on your own so I understand.

Return to “Video Editing Software”