What editing Techniques Would be Useful to Learn?

Slywolf15
Org Profile

What editing Techniques Would be Useful to Learn?

Post by Slywolf15 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:57 pm

Well I have been making amv's for around a year now. I use Vegas and I want to know what editing techniques would be best to try and learn. Since my videos really don't have any pazaz. So any opinions are appreciated.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:05 pm

Scene selection... timing... knowing when to <s>hold 'em, when to fold 'em, when to</s> cut and when to fade...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Re: What editing Techniques Would be Useful to Learn?

Post by NS » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:05 pm

Slywolf15 wrote:Well I have been making amv's for around a year now. I use Vegas and I want to know what editing techniques would be best to try and learn. Since my videos really don't have any pazaz. So any opinions are appreciated.
Your own, special technique would be great.. although rather rare.

taifunbrowser
Org Profile

asdf

Post by taifunbrowser » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Since the only rationalization for your creation of this thread could be to gather advice, I'll add that you should ignore "good" and "best" export methods in vegas: "preview" is perfect quality.

Trust me. I tested it. Good & Best just means that they add a gaussian temporal blur to everything - which you DON"T WANT for music videos. I'm pretty sure draft would be fine too, but I don't risk it.

I found this out on kimi wa suteki when I had 2 doors sliding together, and the gaussian blur made the mask slide over before the clip actually progressed, so there was a really bad looking single frame that was like, ugly. Worked fine in preview mode.

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Re: asdf

Post by Kevmaster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:29 am

taifunbrowser wrote:Since the only rationalization for your creation of this thread could be to gather advice, I'll add that you should ignore "good" and "best" export methods in vegas: "preview" is perfect quality.

Trust me. I tested it. Good & Best just means that they add a gaussian temporal blur to everything - which you DON"T WANT for music videos. I'm pretty sure draft would be fine too, but I don't risk it.

I found this out on kimi wa suteki when I had 2 doors sliding together, and the gaussian blur made the mask slide over before the clip actually progressed, so there was a really bad looking single frame that was like, ugly. Worked fine in preview mode.
wtf no

Banass
Org Profile

Post by Banass » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:03 pm

Kevmasterflashdeluxe wrote:
taifunbrowser wrote:Since the only rationalization for your creation of this thread could be to gather advice, I'll add that you should ignore "good" and "best" export methods in vegas: "preview" is perfect quality.

wtf no
I have to agree with that.
I'm French Canadian. You should be honored.......

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 pm

.. if you can keep it simple and not turn it into a Strobe-Lite Factory of fading to
black/white then it should be fine ^_^

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:01 pm

post-it wrote:.. if you can keep it simple and not turn it into a Strobe-Lite Factory of fading to
black/white then it should be fine ^_^
shaddap Strobes/flashing FTW!

taifunbrowser
Org Profile

Post by taifunbrowser » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:01 pm

Banass wrote:
Kevmasterflashdeluxe wrote: wtf no
I have to agree with that.
this is distressing indeed.

Vegas version? and so you haven't noticed that higher than preview mode applies temporal blurs to all keyframes? (should be discussed in new thread probably)

ok, after re-reading the title my suggestion is to play with when to change a frame before the beat, and a frame after, because I found subtle changes during regions of an amv to be effective... Also, be very deliberate about crossfades.

Slywolf15
Org Profile

Post by Slywolf15 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:04 pm

Most of what has been suggested I sort of picked up myself. Although thank you anyway for the time you took to reply. What would be some effects that would be valuable to learn also?

Return to “Video Editing Software”