Saving AMV as a AVI file

Angelkins
Org Profile

Saving AMV as a AVI file

Post by Angelkins » Tue May 22, 2007 8:38 pm

I'm almost finished with my newest AMV and it is the first time I have ever used Song Vegas 6.0

When I looked at the options to save and chose .avi, it said my estimated final file size would be 750 MB for a 3:25 song.

Yikes!

Is there something I can do to bring this size down significantly?

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Tue May 22, 2007 8:52 pm

Usually, you don't want to. It's good to have a full-resolution lossless copy of your video as a master copy so that you can just recompress that instead of re-exporting from Vegas every time you need a new format/resolution/codec/any combination of the above.

(Also, this lets you use other programs (like AVISynth) for postprocessing, which generally gives you more and better options than Vegas or whatever other NLE you choose to use.)

For how to recompress your master <s>you'll be wrapped around my finger</s> to something small enough to distribute on the Internet, start here:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/ ... intro.html
And don't forget to compress your audio. It'll save you a significant amount of space for what is usually very little signal degradation.

In fact, 750 MB seems a little small for a lossless 3.5-minute video...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

lynit
Org Profile

Post by lynit » Tue May 22, 2007 9:48 pm

Yeah, what Scintilla said. You don't have to waste time making a billion new ones. Just use the master copy.

Although I'm a bit intrigued. How did you find out the estimated file size in Vegas?
<Stirspeare> Otohiko: You guys sure love dongs.

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Wed May 23, 2007 11:31 am

Scintilla wrote:In fact, 750 MB seems a little small for a lossless 3.5-minute video...
It is indeed. It's the proper size for a DV-AVI, which isn't uncompressed. Change your export settings to MicroSoft AVI (or however it is called in Vegas) and select as compressor either uncompressed or HuffYUV or Lagarith, depending on the codec that your source is in.

Return to “Video Editing Software”