How good is Magix?

amjl81
Org Profile

How good is Magix?

Post by amjl81 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:57 pm

I've seen some awesome AMVs that were done with Magix Movie Editor, several different versions of it. Since I've been entering contests and gaining ranks, I've decided to update all my software that I use to make AMVs.

I bought a new Converter (stupid IFO files) which put me back $50. Now I'm in the market for a new Movie Maker/Editor with more transitions and effects.

But what do I want? Um...Watch the Bleach AMV with the song 'A Different Kind of Pain', I want to do that, where there are several different clips going on in one shot, the Picture in Picture with the different sizes (all I have on WMM is the same sizes and it's kind of odd looking).
Where you can cutout a picture and paste it too a moving clip, or cutout a moving clip and paste it to a picture.
I just want one with awesome effects, that's simple and easy. Can save in AVI or MPEG, can use AVI or MPEG files. Those are a plus.

So, my question is, how good is Magix? I don't want to buy it without knowing full well how good or bad it is.
For example, Magix Movie Editor Pro 12? Pro 10?...How good are they?

Thanks everyone!

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:26 pm

Well, I hate to be cliche, but Euphoria was made with Magix and MS Paint. So...in most cases it doesn't depend on the program, it depends on the editor. I haven't used it myself but I've almost bought it several times because I know it's a good program.

As for this:
amjl81 wrote:Can save in AVI or MPEG, can use AVI or MPEG files. Those are a plus.
AVI is a container; if the files in question are encoded in something like DivX or XviD, you're going to have problems no matter the editing program. Just so you're familiar with the terms..

Basically, Magix is a tried and true program, and it's relatively cheap - I say go for it, but remember I have no first-hand experience. It has all the qualities you're looking for, it just depends on whether you know how to implement them.

Oh, and I'm just curious about this:
amjl81 wrote:I bought a new Converter (stupid IFO files) which put me back $50. Now I'm in the market for a new Movie Maker/Editor with more transitions and effects.
...Why did you drop $50 for a converter? Everything you need to get your DVDs to an editable format is available for free via the AMVapp. You also might wanna check out the guides before you make your next video, if you haven't already...:?

amjl81
Org Profile

Post by amjl81 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:31 pm

CrackTheSky wrote: ...Why did you drop $50 for a converter? Everything you need to get your DVDs to an editable format is available for free via the AMVapp. You also might wanna check out the guides before you make your next video, if you haven't already...:?
That would be because, the items on the AMVapp didn't really work for me. I guess everyone has their own items that they like and which are simple. The DVD Shrink I love. That's what I use to rip the footage, but to convert it DVD Zip never really worked, after about the third time using it it started messing up the audio and it would only do three minute segments, which didn't help when I was converting a whole movie. I messed around with others, and found one that converted a whole movie in twenty minutes. So I went and bought it. I've used it almost every month since I bought it.

Okay then, I'll check out that AMV, and if I like the effects and how it all goes out, that would make two AMVs I saw that I like that were made with Magix, so I guess I'm supposed to get it.

Thanks!

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:59 pm

lol Euphoria is proof that the Editor makes the amv and not the program.. also check out Skittles by the same editor, he made this using Magix and Photoshop (and i think one other program) its also his newest video O:

amv app stuff is easy...

use DVD decryptor to rip... convert in Vdub Mod... easy O.o

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:23 am

CompUSA has a sale on Magix Movie Edit Pro 11 for this week until 3/24.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=78083
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:12 pm

yup, what Jadd and Willen said...

short answer, yes, you can do those types of effects with Magix MEP (any version, 10 on up). However, you have to know how to do it. No program I know will do the effects you are asking by a few button-clicks. Bringing different forground characters onto new / different backgrounds ia sort of a time consuming process (called masking / alpha channels / rotoscoping and a few other names that escape me at the moment) so don't expect to just 'click click click' and bammo, you end up with an uber-kewl video...

to quote Jadd:
the Editor makes the amv and not the program
is all too true

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:59 am

One of these days, my team of monkeys will produce the next [insert famous AMV here].

:|
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

808-buma
Org Profile

Post by 808-buma » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:51 pm

Willen wrote:One of these days, my team of monkeys will produce the next [insert famous AMV here].

:|
uuuuu

can I be one of the monkeys?

amjl81
Org Profile

Post by amjl81 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:50 pm

808-buma wrote:yup, what Jadd and Willen said...

short answer, yes, you can do those types of effects with Magix MEP (any version, 10 on up). However, you have to know how to do it. No program I know will do the effects you are asking by a few button-clicks. Bringing different forground characters onto new / different backgrounds ia sort of a time consuming process (called masking / alpha channels / rotoscoping and a few other names that escape me at the moment) so don't expect to just 'click click click' and bammo, you end up with an uber-kewl video...
I downloaded the trial of 11, and...I must say...I'm in love! At first I opened it up and said 'What the hell do I think I'm doing?' It all looked strange and new. So I exited out of it. But I never give up on something, so I opened it up again, loaded up an anime I have on my computer and messed around with it. And I learned how to do the picture in picture in picture! Yay! (Yes, I know, I said it three times, but that's what I learned!) And with another program already on my computer I can take a picture of a person and put him/her on the moving clip.
So I'm just going to buy 12 (more cool stuff, I think..and it's new).

And Willen? I want to be one of those monkeys. :) haha

Return to “Video Editing Software”