Video Ripping Questions (Pretend I'm an Idiot)

Terminal Dogma
Org Profile

Video Ripping Questions (Pretend I'm an Idiot)

Post by Terminal Dogma » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:45 am

I'm trying to rip my DVD set of "Evangelion" but I'm not sure about things like bitrates, etc. I've read some of the guides and while they are helpful, I think it's best that I ask directly.

AVI or MP4? (The DVDs are MPEG 2)
What bitrate should I use? (I'll be ripping it at 720 x 480)
Do I need to change the framerate?

The DVD set is the Platinum Edition (I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but hey, you never know)
I have a Windows PC running Windows 7

If anyone could help me out with this, I'd greatly appreciate it

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Video Ripping Questions (Pretend I'm an Idiot)

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:02 am

Rip the disc as-is. If the ripping tool is converting to some other format, that's doing it wrong. You should use the original MPEG-2 streams, just decrypted; depending on which ripping tool is actually being used, these can optionally be done where each episode is in its own file rather than the entire disc getting decrypted and the files split where they were split on the disc.

Because you shouldn't be giving any bitrate or resizing operations to the ripping tool, this is irrelevant.

The Eva Platinum Edition is hard telecined, so yes, you need to load them into AviSynth, use TFM/TDecimate to inverse telecine it to 23.976fps (and also resize to 640x480), and only then give the script to something to convert. If you're going to be editing with it, save as a lossless format. If you're doing this to store and watch, then give it to x264 to encode and direct stream copy the AC3 audio and subtitles (if desired) through without converting them. Well, you could OCR the subs to SRT or ASS if you want, but that's a time suck.

It's precisely because it needs to be IVTC'd (and resized so it's in the correct aspect ratio for playback on a PC, and fewer AR flagging headaches) that using some all-in-one rip and convert tool is a monumentally bad idea.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Terminal Dogma
Org Profile

Re: Video Ripping Questions (Pretend I'm an Idiot)

Post by Terminal Dogma » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:22 am

i'm using DVD Fab version 8.0.8.5 to rip the video

Return to “Video Editing Software”