Why is Virtual Dub not opening VOB files?

Sand3
Org Profile

Why is Virtual Dub not opening VOB files?

Post by Sand3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:29 pm

I've been out of the game for a few years and the software's gone through a couple of generations, and now I've successfully ripped the VOB files off of my DVD, but Virtual Dub is telling me it's an invalid file format. What? The older versions of Virtual Dub never had any problem with VOBs, do I need to download an additional plug-in or something?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Why is Virtual Dub not opening VOB files?

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 pm

VirtualDub =/= VirtualDubMod. VDub never opened MPEG-2*, VDubMod did.

*this is no longer true, with the advent of the Input Plugins system, VDub v1.7.something and higher. It relies on using fcchandler's MPEG-2 input plugin to do it.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Sand3
Org Profile

Post by Sand3 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:49 pm

That must be it! Now that you say it, that sounds totally familiar. Now I'm just wondering why AMVorg changed which one they package with their editing suite, because I'm positive I downloaded it here back then...

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:02 am

VDubMod is based on virtualdub 1.5.10. We're now well into virtualdub 1.9.11 as stable build, plus a very usable 1.10.2 experimental build.
All the features that vdubmod was used for have been either built in straight into virtualdub, or there are plugins for virtualdub handling them, like qyot told you. However, there is a WHOLE LOT of bugfixes, improvements, and additions in the newer virtualdub builds, so it is not advised to use a modded software that's over five years old, when a proper version has been released a few months ago.
As a last thing, keep in mind that some things are better NOT done by virtualdub. Especially in this case, you should properly index vobs with dgindex and handle the deinterlacing with avisynth, as the avtech says (and used to say back then, too).

Return to “Video Editing Software”