NEW TO AMVS:What program should I buy?

Violet-Grubs
Org Profile

NEW TO AMVS:What program should I buy?

Post by Violet-Grubs » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 am

Hello fellow AMV makers!

I have been making a few AMVs on Windows Movie Maker but I am definitely ready to graduate to more professional software. I have worked with Final Cut Pro at school and made a few videos with it, and I love it. However, I cannot buy any MAC programs because I have a Windows computer. I have used Sony Vegas but I do not like how complex it tends to be, especially after using Final Cut Pro which I feel was so simple to use to get the same effects.

I am leaning towards Adobe Premiere because (1) I like Adobe Products and (2) I can get it for a discount. However, before I put my money on a big purchase like that, I want to know a little bit about it AND what my other options are. Is Adobe Premiere a close equivalent to Final Cut Pro? Can I get a lot of effects (such as multiple clips on one screen, clips that pan across the screen, clips that are played backwards) and is it less complex than Sony Vegas? Do you have any other suggestions besides Adobe Premiere? Or do you think that Sony Vegas is actually the way to go?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: NEW TO AMVS:What program should I buy?

Post by Pwolf » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 am

Adobe Premiere is pretty similar to FCP so if you want something like FCP, that's probably where you should go. I would say Vegas is less complex than FCP and Premiere honestly. That said, it really shouldn't matter how complex the program is because you'll figure it out eventually. I think Vegas offers more masking tools out of the box than Premiere so if you want to be able to do more with one program, perhaps Vegas is the way to go. That said, if you invest in the Adobe Production Suite, you can get After Effects which will take care of that problem and then some.

I would download the trial version of Premiere and see if you like it. Then go from there.

Violet-Grubs
Org Profile

Post by Violet-Grubs » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:52 am

Pwolf wrote:Adobe Premiere is pretty similar to FCP so if you want something like FCP, that's probably where you should go. I would say Vegas is less complex than FCP and Premiere honestly. That said, it really shouldn't matter how complex the program is because you'll figure it out eventually. I think Vegas offers more masking tools out of the box than Premiere so if you want to be able to do more with one program, perhaps Vegas is the way to go. That said, if you invest in the Adobe Production Suite, you can get After Effects which will take care of that problem and then some.

I would download the trial version of Premiere and see if you like it. Then go from there.
Hey thanks! I guess my best options would be to download the trial options for both programs. I also have a question which might sound pretty dumb but what exactly is masking?

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:08 am

Masking is a process in which you mark out areas of a frame to be removed or processed differently (like applying an effect to one part of the frame). This can also called Rotoscoping and is what people do to put a character from one series into another anime for instance.

Violet-Grubs
Org Profile

Post by Violet-Grubs » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:55 am

Pwolf wrote:Masking is a process in which you mark out areas of a frame to be removed or processed differently (like applying an effect to one part of the frame). This can also called Rotoscoping and is what people do to put a character from one series into another anime for instance.

So I can do that in Sony Vegas but not in Premiere? (Unless I bought after effects...) Huh... Then I might get Sony Vegas if they have more options in one program.

Pwolf
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Correct... that said, premiere + after effects is way more powerful as whole than vegas ever will be.

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Keep in mind that you will not have any masking with Sony Vegas unless you get the Pro version. Last I checked (a few months ago), you can get the entire Adobe CS6 Production Premium set (the one with Premiere Pro and After Effects, among others) for a lot less with student discount than just Vegas Pro with student discount. I learned editing on Vegas (cheap version), but recently I have used After Effects and Premiere a lot and I like all of them. It seems that the Adobe suite would be better for you, especially since you are familiar with Final Cut.
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:13 am

even though i use vegas, the set of adobe programs are easily better than vegas alone

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:33 am

You can also get the entire Adobe Suite for a fairly low monthly payment (cost depends on if you're a student) with the "Creative Cloud" service. Honestly unless you can get a really amazing deal for the full software somewhere, the cost of buying it outright will always tend to be way more then what you end up paying over the long-term monthly, since the cloud service also covers future versions.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

BladEra123
Org Profile

Post by BladEra123 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:14 am

I use Vegas and I pretty much find it very useful, it usually has all the effects an editor needs. It can be a bit tricky at first, but then after some practise it gets easy, I prefer Vegas because I have been using it for many years now and its really common now a days.
But you can still try to find more editors =)
Adobe Premiere is also a great software I have been hearing about, I have never tried any other editors though, so from my side; Vegas
Legend Dies, but Legacy Never Ends~
YouTube Channel Link: https://www.youtube.com/user/bladera123
MyAnimeList: http://myanimelist.net/profile/BladEra123

Return to “Video Editing Software”