Best Way to View Each Frame?

Toshi.des
Org Profile

Best Way to View Each Frame?

Post by Toshi.des » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:39 am

I've been playing around with animating some drawings of mine and was looking at some anime for reference with animation.

I use Media Player Classic and I usually hold "ctrl" and press the right arrow key to scrub through footage. It doesn't always seem to be that accurate and when I want to go backward it jumps quite a few frames and gets stuck a lot. Granted this is compressed footage usually. When I encode it with utvideo it performs a lot better.

I was just curious though if there was a better, or easier way to view footage frame by frame forward and backward.

Help appreciated!

Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Re: Best Way to View Each Frame?

Post by Animated » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:49 am

Just put your video in Vegas (or pretty much every editing program you have), open wide the preview screen, and then step by step, frame by frame, analyze your timeline (don't forget to zoom it a bit)

Cannonaire
Org Profile

Post by Cannonaire » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:35 am

Vegas is what I use for scrubbing/trimming when I edit. If you're interested in clipping or watching footage outside of a project, I can not recommend anything more highly than VirtualDub (NOT VirtualDubMod).
Image Think millionaire, but with cannons. || Resident Maaya Sakamoto fan.

Phantasmagoriat
Org Profile

Post by Phantasmagoriat » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:25 am

Aside from Premiere, Vegas, Magix... if you use VirtualDub for clipping I also suggest mapping the backward/forward functions to D/F on your keyboard so that you can step back and forth comfortably with your left hand, while leaving your right hand free for your mouse. You can also scrub back/forward with the mouse wheel for fine tuning.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Painkiller"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:48 am

The period key in mplayer and IIRC media player classic moves to the next frame. Otherwise open it in some editor like vdub.

Return to “Video Editing Software”