Open-source editors; what are the best names?

Sand3
Org Profile

Open-source editors; what are the best names?

Post by Sand3 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:23 pm

I've found a lot of love for open-source art programs and especially have found that tech help tends to be a lot easier to find through forums and such than I've ever managed to get on for-profit software; so as much as I love the open-source 3D animators and 2D art programs I have, I thought I should look into an open-source video editor.

Since I've been out of the video editing scene for a few years, I don't really know what the market looks like anymore and was wondering if you guys could recommend your favorite open-source editors and why you like them?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: Open-source editors; what are the best names?

Post by Pwolf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:56 pm

What platform? Most open source editing software on windows is pretty awful but if you're running linux then you can try out Cinellera. It's probably the most powerful. Blender also has a video editor IIRC. As far as getting any help, not many people here use linux let alone edit on the platform.

post-it
Org Profile

Re: Open-source editors; what are the best names?

Post by post-it » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Pwolf wrote: if you're running linux then you can try out Cinellera.
Agreed.
Pwolf wrote:It's probably the most powerful. Blender also has a video editor IIRC.
Blender is designed as a Wire Frame Animator but, yea -- video editing can be done.
For those using Windows or MAC, unless an MPEG-2 Editor is available - things are going to look sloppy!
Simple Cut & Paste Editing works best and High End Blending/Transitions are as out of date as the 386 DX 20 processors that they were developed on in the 1900's.
Linux has a rather large following and, for the most part, has everything GNU Free to the public.
Video Editing is not very high on the Linux Users set of priorities and as such, is very slow to comply with any form of Video Editing Standards. The good new is, almost anything that was written for Linux can be transposed into MAC or Windows ( unless your not a programmer! )

The truth about Royalty Free Editing on any platform is: "until a set of standards can be Set In Stone, do not expect anything to Valid for very long!" Including Picture size!

- traxx

Return to “Video Editing Software”