VirtualDubMod MKV/MPEG4 problem

Bloodseeker
Org Profile

VirtualDubMod MKV/MPEG4 problem

Post by Bloodseeker » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:10 am

I used to be able to get it to run just about anything with directshowsource.

My computer was having problems playing audio with some new videos, so I updated CCCP. I completely forgot that the version of ffdshow that's packaged in with this is incomplete.

Now I can only get VDM to work with AVIs. It crashes with anything else, including files that it worked with prior to the update.

I uninstalled CCCP, installed the full version of ffdshow, and reinstalled CCCP with the ffdshow box left unchecked. Then I went into video configuration, VFW configuration, and audio configuration and set all of the codecs in the codecs section on. (either to libavcodec or the first option available)

VDM still crashes.

This is how I remember fixing it last time, but I think that its a different problem this time. VDM didn't crash before. It just gave me an error message. I wonder if CCCP might have deleted a codec.

Google doesn't turn up quick results, either.

MPC-HC is working fine, BTW.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: VirtualDubMod MKV/MPEG4 problem

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:16 pm

Virtualdubmod is not designed for working with MKV or MP4 files. The very very limited support that it does have for them only worked with a small number of files that were basically AVIs to begin with.

MP4 and MKCV files should be loaded with Avisynth using the ffms source filter.

Bloodseeker
Org Profile

Post by Bloodseeker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:50 pm

I've gotten it to work with directshowsource before. That's what I've been doing for years.

This recent update just changed something.

If it'll fix it, that's good, though.

Care to provide me with a download link and instructions? I don't like the look of the first site that google turns up, and the not-so-shady links that I do find seem to assume that you know what you're doing already.

Bloodseeker
Org Profile

Post by Bloodseeker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:59 pm

...Or just tell me how to install it.

There's an application here, but it just opens a window for a split second when I try to run it, so I'm guessing that its not installed.

There's instructions for code in the documentation, but it doesn't tell you where you want it.

I'm not used to manually doing plugins.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:42 am

That application (I assume you're talking about ffmsindex?) is a command-line application. There's no 'installing' needed, but unless you feel comfortable firing up the Command Prompt and working with it that way, it's not what you want. It can save time, though, if you don't want to have to open the video's AviSynth script for the index to get generated (and it gives you a progress meter).

Put ffms2.dll in C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins (or C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins, if you're on 64-bit Vista or Win7).

The script syntax after the plugin is put in the right place:
FFVideoSource("input.mkv")

or

FFmpegSource2("input.mkv",atrack=-1) #loads audio too

or either of the above two, but with VFR->CFR conversion (what DirectShowSource would do if you used convertfps=true):

FFVideoSource("input.mkv",fpsnum=30000,fpsden=1001) #converts the input to 29.97fps
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Bloodseeker
Org Profile

Post by Bloodseeker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:57 pm

It worked.

Thanks.

Bloodseeker
Org Profile

Post by Bloodseeker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:09 pm

And it goes quite a bit faster, too.

Return to “Video Editing Software”