Is this noobish? (what other editing programs are there?)

tomj
Org Profile

Post by tomj » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:23 am

Hitori wrote:Vegas Video is alright...
Vegas Video has scopes, a waveform monitor, controllable colour bar generation, and best of all - 23.976fps support. Which it seems Premiere doesn't.

I'm still looking for software that actually cares about *colour*, though... ("Are these 601 primaries or 709? What transfer function are we using today?")
--
"Art without exercise is nothing."

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:57 am

jonmartensen wrote: Discreet always has the hook-up with the shiznit

Products

But their stuff is more post production, CG, and animation.
As I understand it, Combustion- while seriously kick-ass- would be more of a replacement for After Effects than for Premiere. I've not tried playing with it yet, but I have heard that it's extremely powerful.
tomj wrote:Vegas Video has scopes, a waveform monitor, controllable colour bar generation, and best of all - 23.976fps support. Which it seems Premiere doesn't.
Does Vegas, or any of the others, have tha capability that Premiere does with working with AVISynth files directly? I think that would be a requirement for switching away from Premiere for me, at least for primary video work. I am hoping to do some experimentation with other programs though to augment my editing when I have time. Which will probably be something in late August...
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

tomj
Org Profile

Post by tomj » Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:42 am

Ashyukun wrote:
tomj wrote:Vegas Video has scopes, a waveform monitor, controllable colour bar generation, and best of all - 23.976fps support. Which it seems Premiere doesn't.
Does Vegas, or any of the others, have tha capability that Premiere does with working with AVISynth files directly? I think that would be a requirement for switching away from Premiere for me, at least for primary video work. I am hoping to do some experimentation with other programs though to augment my editing when I have time. Which will probably be something in late August...
Not directly (I tried - though you don't need it as far as disk space goes, as it'll open OpenDML quite happily AFAICT) but it does seem to work with VFAPI, which'll read AVS. I've only used it as a legaliser, so far (both to legalise and to reformat 640x360 video produced in Premiere, into 720x480 full-height anamorphic) but I'll find out with the next video how it handles VFAPI.
--

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:24 am

VFAPI sounds bad... it would mean you wouldnt be able to have multiple sources.

Chaos Angel
Org Profile

Post by Chaos Angel » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:35 am

Idiot question: can this Cinelerra thing Windows XP compatible, or just Linux?
Fragile and Frail | Summertime

I'm not a vegetarian because I enjoy eating cute animals.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:10 pm

Unless I'm badly mistaken, it's Linux (possibly other *nix) only. :(
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

tomj
Org Profile

Post by tomj » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:20 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:VFAPI sounds bad... it would mean you wouldnt be able to have multiple sources.
You can't open more than one VFAPI pointer file at once? o.O

Please don't tell me I'm going to have to concatenate every single vob into one file then split them out into multiple clips inside Vegas...
--

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:30 pm

If you open more than one VFAPI file at he same time they start mixing with each other when they are acessed. Eventually it crashes whatever program you are using.

This is why (amongst other reasons) avisynth is used in premiere.

tomj
Org Profile

Post by tomj » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:40 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:If you open more than one VFAPI file at he same time they start mixing with each other when they are acessed. Eventually it crashes whatever program you are using.

This is why (amongst other reasons) avisynth is used in premiere.
Oh ****.

The worst part is it looks like Vegas has no plugin architecture to speak of. >.<
--

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:00 pm

You could always try Link2 from videotools.net

Return to “Video Editing Software”