Cannot get trimmed a DV-AVI movie in MS Movie Maker

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
askmaxim
Org Profile

Cannot get trimmed a DV-AVI movie in MS Movie Maker

Post by askmaxim » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:05 am

It turns out that my MS Windows Movie Maker (further - MM) saves an untrimmed clip (Save Movie menu) in DV-AVI format, instead of expected trimmed one.
The long story is as follows.
* A ripped DVD (a vob) was converted to a DV-AVI file (on a Mac, not sure which program, should not be relevant).
* It can be loaded into MM.
* It can be resaved again as a DV-AVI by MM
* It can be split in two or more clips, and the tail clip can be saved as a DV-AVI properly.
But the head clip of a split or trimmed/resized clip cannot be saved as intended in the DV-AVI format.
It saves, but so that only the sound track is trimmed, but the video goes all the way to the end of the original 'long' video.
It can be saved into other offered formats by MM, and that would be properly trimmed.
But the DV-AVI does not get trimmed!
Is there any workaround?
Please help!
---------------
Maxim Buyakov
AskMaxim.com: Russian/English Technical and Legal Translation, Voiceover

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Re: Cannot get trimmed a DV-AVI movie in MS Movie Maker

Post by Autraya » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:12 am

I actually am having trouble understanding what you're saying.

Did you edit something and are not able to save the first part, but you are able to save the second?

Why are you just importing a file into wmm to export it again in a different size and same format :amv: with it's original sound?

why not just rip the vobs on your computer not the mac and encode in virtualdub as huffyuvs?
new banzors in the making :p

askmaxim
Org Profile

Post by askmaxim » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Dear Autraya,

Thank you for your response.

virtualdub - I understand you recommend it to edit the vob source directly? I did not know that, will take notice.

Otherwise, yes, not able to save the first part, but you are able to save the second. I thought that was a crying bug in MSMM and lots of quick fix solutions, but now looks like I am alone in the world wide web with this bug, no one confirmed it.

Thanks again!

Maxim
AskMaxim.com: Technical and Legal Translation, Voiceover

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:33 pm

You can import directly into virtualdub, but i'd suggest using avisynth to assist you in properly preparing your footage
Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides</a>
it'll help with preping footage for WMM and using avs and virtualdub
new banzors in the making :p

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”