Overlaying clips

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:02 pm

uh if we are talking about overlaying in vegas its just a matter of placing the clip on a line above another clip and then lowering the opacity :/

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:04 pm

however since the original poster is talking about doing the same thing in WMM that is entirely beside the point :P

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:05 am

mirkosp wrote:
Sentrix wrote:
mirkosp wrote: Uhm... basically you tell it what's the video/picture to put behind, what's the video/picture to use as matte (based on the black and white amount, grey being in-between transparency), and what's the video to put above and masked. Don't remember what the code was exactly, but I recall it working like that.
meh, i'll stick with overlaying clips on sony :?
Actually, from what I was told, there is no track matte in Sony Vegas... which is a big lack. :?
What you mean of there is no track in sony?? :?
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am

Sentrix wrote:What you mean of there is no track in sony?? :?
I'm not talking about tracks/layers or overlaying. Track matte is another thing... kind of like a mid-ground between cookie cutters and mask, let's say.
Since I'm not good with explainings, I'll just quote a definition:
A track matte is an element used in Adobe After Effects or Premiere Pro to mask out portions of a layer. The masking is calculated by either the alpha channel or luma values of the element used as a track matte. There are many benefits of using a track matte versus a regular bezier mask. Some of them are:

•By using a track matte, you are able to keep the matte layer stationary and animate only the masked layer. Whereas with bezier masks the same outcome requires having to animate postion AND mask shape parameters for the masked layer.
•Creation of highly complex mattes are far easier as you are not limited to simply shape and feather parameters as you are with bezier masks.
•Transitions are highly simplified by animating a number of objects, in any one of an infinite number of ways, within a comp and then using that entire comp as a track matte on a video or graphic layer. Trying to accomplish complex transitions with a large number of bezier masks would be time consuming and involve a large amount of keyframing.
Btw, I took the definition from here, if you're interested.

SenTrix
Org Profile

Post by SenTrix » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:32 am

mirkosp wrote:
Sentrix wrote:What you mean of there is no track in sony?? :?
I'm not talking about tracks/layers or overlaying. Track matte is another thing... kind of like a mid-ground between cookie cutters and mask, let's say.
Since I'm not good with explainings, I'll just quote a definition:
A track matte is an element used in Adobe After Effects or Premiere Pro to mask out portions of a layer. The masking is calculated by either the alpha channel or luma values of the element used as a track matte. There are many benefits of using a track matte versus a regular bezier mask. Some of them are:

•By using a track matte, you are able to keep the matte layer stationary and animate only the masked layer. Whereas with bezier masks the same outcome requires having to animate postion AND mask shape parameters for the masked layer.
•Creation of highly complex mattes are far easier as you are not limited to simply shape and feather parameters as you are with bezier masks.
•Transitions are highly simplified by animating a number of objects, in any one of an infinite number of ways, within a comp and then using that entire comp as a track matte on a video or graphic layer. Trying to accomplish complex transitions with a large number of bezier masks would be time consuming and involve a large amount of keyframing.
Btw, I took the definition from here, if you're interested.
wow cheers this is definetly useful...although i dnt use the software mentioned in the qoute...cant view the link atm its block by the schools mainframe
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

animedays
Org Profile

Post by animedays » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:36 am

Is something like this what you are talking about???

http://movies.blainesville.com/2007/07/ ... y-now.html

he has a ton of cool effects/transitions as well as rehanfx.org :)

This link here is in my favs: http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Forum ... tID=126998
Absolute truth is objective, but in reality truth can only be viewed as subjective through our own personal perspectives.
My artwork
Myspace

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”