Overlaying clips

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
JamMan
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:59 pm
Org Profile

Overlaying clips

Postby JamMan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:35 pm

Hey there,
I was just wondering whether there was anyway to overlay clips or whether i would need to download a differnt program in order to do that

User avatar
Hareoic
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:54 pm
Status: IT'S PAAHFEKKTO
Location: Omaha
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby Hareoic » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:16 pm

Different program.

You can fade from one clip to another, but that's as close as you're gonna get.

User avatar
The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:21 am
Status: Hooked on a Feeling
Location: State of Denial
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby The Origonal Head Hunter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:32 pm

MS Paint.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english

Image
Boredom.

User avatar
SenTrix
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 am
Status: Editing
Location: South East England
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby SenTrix » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:06 pm

You cant overlay clips in WMM, get a Sony or Premier....(heck get AE)
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

User avatar
Kariudo
Twilight prince
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:08 pm
Status: 1924 bots banned and counting!
Location: Los taquitos unidos
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby Kariudo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:14 pm

downwithpants at one time had a link to maskandlayer() which (IIRC) lets you overlay clips in WMM

that link in his sig is down though, maybe try sending a pm?
Image
Image

User avatar
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:24 am
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby mirkosp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:40 pm

Kariudo wrote:downwithpants at one time had a link to maskandlayer() which (IIRC) lets you overlay clips in WMM

that link in his sig is down though, maybe try sending a pm?


Maskandlayer() is an avisynth function that works basically like track matte... it's kinda hard to use if you hardly know avisynth. Still, if you can use it, it's pretty useful.
Image

User avatar
SenTrix
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 am
Status: Editing
Location: South East England
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby SenTrix » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:41 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Kariudo wrote:downwithpants at one time had a link to maskandlayer() which (IIRC) lets you overlay clips in WMM

that link in his sig is down though, maybe try sending a pm?


Maskandlayer() is an avisynth function that works basically like track matte... it's kinda hard to use if you hardly know avisynth. Still, if you can use it, it's pretty useful.


Never heard of that plugin....How does it that really, im curious?? :roll:
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

User avatar
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:24 am
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby mirkosp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Sentrix wrote:
mirkosp wrote:
Kariudo wrote:downwithpants at one time had a link to maskandlayer() which (IIRC) lets you overlay clips in WMM

that link in his sig is down though, maybe try sending a pm?


Maskandlayer() is an avisynth function that works basically like track matte... it's kinda hard to use if you hardly know avisynth. Still, if you can use it, it's pretty useful.


Never heard of that plugin....How does it that really, im curious?? :roll:

Uhm... basically you tell it what's the video/picture to put behind, what's the video/picture to use as matte (based on the black and white amount, grey being in-between transparency), and what's the video to put above and masked. Don't remember what the code was exactly, but I recall it working like that.
Image

User avatar
SenTrix
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 am
Status: Editing
Location: South East England
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby SenTrix » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:51 am

mirkosp wrote:Uhm... basically you tell it what's the video/picture to put behind, what's the video/picture to use as matte (based on the black and white amount, grey being in-between transparency), and what's the video to put above and masked. Don't remember what the code was exactly, but I recall it working like that.


meh, i'll stick with overlaying clips on sony :?
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

User avatar
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:24 am
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby mirkosp » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Sentrix wrote:
mirkosp wrote:Uhm... basically you tell it what's the video/picture to put behind, what's the video/picture to use as matte (based on the black and white amount, grey being in-between transparency), and what's the video to put above and masked. Don't remember what the code was exactly, but I recall it working like that.


meh, i'll stick with overlaying clips on sony :?


Actually, from what I was told, there is no track matte in Sony Vegas... which is a big lack. :?
Image

User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:25 am
Status: I has a TRU Arceus
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:02 pm

uh if we are talking about overlaying in vegas its just a matter of placing the clip on a line above another clip and then lowering the opacity :/

User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:25 am
Status: I has a TRU Arceus
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:04 pm

however since the original poster is talking about doing the same thing in WMM that is entirely beside the point :P

User avatar
SenTrix
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 am
Status: Editing
Location: South East England
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby SenTrix » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:05 am

mirkosp wrote:
Sentrix wrote:
mirkosp wrote:Uhm... basically you tell it what's the video/picture to put behind, what's the video/picture to use as matte (based on the black and white amount, grey being in-between transparency), and what's the video to put above and masked. Don't remember what the code was exactly, but I recall it working like that.


meh, i'll stick with overlaying clips on sony :?


Actually, from what I was told, there is no track matte in Sony Vegas... which is a big lack. :?


What you mean of there is no track in sony?? :?
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image

User avatar
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:24 am
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby mirkosp » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:16 am

Sentrix wrote:What you mean of there is no track in sony?? :?


I'm not talking about tracks/layers or overlaying. Track matte is another thing... kind of like a mid-ground between cookie cutters and mask, let's say.
Since I'm not good with explainings, I'll just quote a definition:
A track matte is an element used in Adobe After Effects or Premiere Pro to mask out portions of a layer. The masking is calculated by either the alpha channel or luma values of the element used as a track matte. There are many benefits of using a track matte versus a regular bezier mask. Some of them are:

•By using a track matte, you are able to keep the matte layer stationary and animate only the masked layer. Whereas with bezier masks the same outcome requires having to animate postion AND mask shape parameters for the masked layer.
•Creation of highly complex mattes are far easier as you are not limited to simply shape and feather parameters as you are with bezier masks.
•Transitions are highly simplified by animating a number of objects, in any one of an infinite number of ways, within a comp and then using that entire comp as a track matte on a video or graphic layer. Trying to accomplish complex transitions with a large number of bezier masks would be time consuming and involve a large amount of keyframing.

Btw, I took the definition from here, if you're interested.
Image

User avatar
SenTrix
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:25 am
Status: Editing
Location: South East England
Contact:
Org Profile

Re: Overlaying clips

Postby SenTrix » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:32 am

mirkosp wrote:
Sentrix wrote:What you mean of there is no track in sony?? :?


I'm not talking about tracks/layers or overlaying. Track matte is another thing... kind of like a mid-ground between cookie cutters and mask, let's say.
Since I'm not good with explainings, I'll just quote a definition:
A track matte is an element used in Adobe After Effects or Premiere Pro to mask out portions of a layer. The masking is calculated by either the alpha channel or luma values of the element used as a track matte. There are many benefits of using a track matte versus a regular bezier mask. Some of them are:

•By using a track matte, you are able to keep the matte layer stationary and animate only the masked layer. Whereas with bezier masks the same outcome requires having to animate postion AND mask shape parameters for the masked layer.
•Creation of highly complex mattes are far easier as you are not limited to simply shape and feather parameters as you are with bezier masks.
•Transitions are highly simplified by animating a number of objects, in any one of an infinite number of ways, within a comp and then using that entire comp as a track matte on a video or graphic layer. Trying to accomplish complex transitions with a large number of bezier masks would be time consuming and involve a large amount of keyframing.

Btw, I took the definition from here, if you're interested.


wow cheers this is definetly useful...although i dnt use the software mentioned in the qoute...cant view the link atm its block by the schools mainframe
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image


Return to “Windows Movie Maker”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests