WMM2 doesn't even try to save

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Hareoic
Org Profile

WMM2 doesn't even try to save

Post by Hareoic » Sun May 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Whenever I try to save my movie in WMV format, regardless of the option I select, it says it's trying to save but then gives me an error message. No progress bar, nothing. Now I don't THINK the movie is big enough that it should be having such problems, but then again I only just found out that switching to Huffyuv encoding instead of Lagarith makes it stop freezing so I haven't got any clue as to why it can't save. Can somebody give me some advice as to how to do it? (I don't want to have to cut it into pieces, because then it falls out of sync since Movie Maker seems to overestimate the length) I've had this problem before, and since the DV-AVI option is... a bad choice, from what I've observed before, I'd like it if somebody could tell me how to fix this

Movie Specs:
2:55.47 / 175.47 seconds
102 clips
3 fade transitions
18 Fade outs, to black
18 Fade ins, from black
No other effects used
All clips encoded in Huffyuv format
All clips encoded in RGB
All clips measure 640x480

Computer Specs:
Video : nVidea GeForce 7900 GS (256 MB RAM)
Processor : Pentium D (3.00 GHz)
Physical Memory : 2045 MB
Virtual Memory : 15937 MB
WMM Version : 2.1.4026.0 / 5.1

(any other important information I should list?)

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Sun May 11, 2008 7:50 pm

are your source clips help on different drives? This used to screw up for me esp if I used an External HDD.

Also you could try saving the project file (not exporting the movie) as a different name a then delete 90% of your timeline and see if you can get it to export then...? if that doesn't work the problem could be a number of other things.

also is your audio in .wav format?

the DV_AVI export always works fine with me *shrugs*

And lastly, have you turned your computer off and then back on again recently? and not run other programs, just go straight into WMM and try exporting that movie file?
new banzors in the making :p

Hareoic
Org Profile

Post by Hareoic » Sun May 11, 2008 8:39 pm

The DV-AVI export seems to drop several frames at random, while the sound for those frames disappears.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun May 11, 2008 8:58 pm

I've heard that the highest quality wmv is actually better quality than the dv-avi...

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Sun May 11, 2008 9:07 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:I've heard that the highest quality wmv is actually better quality than the dv-avi...
yeah Scintillia started that rumour... I've seen some comparrison posts between containers and codecs but I wonder still
new banzors in the making :p

Hareoic
Org Profile

Post by Hareoic » Sun May 11, 2008 9:49 pm

Autraya wrote:are your source clips help on different drives? This used to screw up for me esp if I used an External HDD.

Also you could try saving the project file (not exporting the movie) as a different name a then delete 90% of your timeline and see if you can get it to export then...? if that doesn't work the problem could be a number of other things.

also is your audio in .wav format?

the DV_AVI export always works fine with me *shrugs*

And lastly, have you turned your computer off and then back on again recently? and not run other programs, just go straight into WMM and try exporting that movie file?
Actually I can do it if I remove a certain number of clips and/or effects. The thing is that the computer should be able to handle more than that. It's got enough Virtual Memory and such, so I'm trying to figure out why it won't save. It never gets past the 'estimating time remaining' part, and that really frustrates me.

Hareoic
Org Profile

Post by Hareoic » Sun May 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Huh, interesting fact: I can't seem to make my MP3 file into a WAV without losing enough fractions of a second (at least according to WMM) for the synchronization to be thrown off. I've saved it as a WAV file in both Creative Wavestudio and Winamp, so if there's something that'll save it in a WAV format Movie Maker will recognize and not get too much time shaved off, I'd like to know.

I saved the song as a WMA, though, using Movie Maker itself and managed to save that as a DV-AVI and found the sound quality to be horrible and, yes, it fell out of sync when I reimported the audio in VirtualDubMod. So I don't think that the DV-AVI is a very feasible option for me.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun May 11, 2008 11:45 pm

Hareoic wrote:Actually I can do it if I remove a certain number of clips and/or effects. The thing is that the computer should be able to handle more than that. It's got enough Virtual Memory and such...
It's not the hardware that's the problem, it's the software.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

KholdStare88
Org Profile

Post by KholdStare88 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:58 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Hareoic wrote:Actually I can do it if I remove a certain number of clips and/or effects. The thing is that the computer should be able to handle more than that. It's got enough Virtual Memory and such...
It's not the hardware that's the problem, it's the software.
Yup, that's right. I remember doing a project in WMM on my school's multimedia player yet I still had to split the file into two. It just won't save for whatever reason,so you're better off just combining several saves.
"I like your sausage (even if they are super long)" -JaddziaDax

Hareoic
Org Profile

Post by Hareoic » Tue May 13, 2008 2:29 pm

Do you think it would work if I imported the work to another computer? I have a laptop running Vista and it has a dual core processor, so I think it at least has the capability to save it.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”