Not a newb, but I need help with video

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.
Claydo
Org Profile

Not a newb, but I need help with video

Post by Claydo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:34 pm

Okay, I have made 9 different AMVs using Windows Movie Maker and my I'm TOO DVD Ripper to make avi files for putting into Movie Maker. I've already cut and edited my video parts in WMM and saved the project file. I can play the movie in WMM and it looks fine, but after saving the finished movie to the computer and trying to play it, the video will skip ahead to a scene and stop until it the rest of the movie catches up and then it starts playing again. I have had this problem before on my other amvs and I've just re-ripped the video and edited it back into the movie to fix the problem. This time however, the problem is happening in almost every clip throughout the movie. I really don't want to restart and I was wondering if any one knew why this is happening and how I can fix it. I have come to believe it is movie maker that has the problem or my computer has too little power in terms of memory. I've restarted the computer and tried re-saving it(exporting it) several times and the same exact problems occur (the same freezes in the same spots, I think).
I have come into the forums here for the first time now for seeking an answer. I read don't use Xvid/Divx files. I'm not specifically using these in WMM, but I do have Divx/Xvid on my computer for the codecs and such (the encoder/decoder gets used when viewing videos in WMM).
Can someone please tell me what needs to be done or do you need more information?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:07 pm

what is your dvd source?

is it possible this is a camera angle issue?

Claydo
Org Profile

Post by Claydo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:08 pm

I think I can be more specific: within one clip on the storyboard (after it is exported) the video will start on a freeze frame farther into the clip and stay there until the timing is back on track.
I'm ripping the video off of my dvds and I got all of my video selections at one time and it does seem to be that the problem exists only on certain clips. Its been two months since I first 'finished' this project but haven't been ab;e to get the exported version to be good. Why some clips mess up and why others are just fine is what I don't know. I want to hear that there is some kind of download that fixes the problem so that I don't have to redo the project file. Either that or just tell me what I need to fix with my computer's memory ish.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:39 pm

My experience with WMV files has been that random seeking to most places in any given WMV file will exhibit this problem: there'll be a few seconds of still before the video gets going properly again.

I've always guessed that it's a problem with the encoder not using enough keyframes (I-frames). You could try to counter this, I suppose, by making a custom WMV profile with Windows Media Encoder that clamps down on the maximum gap between keyframes, but other than that...

This is why I've always hated the WMV container, even though the WMV9 codec is capable of perfectly decent compressibility.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:41 pm

Argh, sorry for another double post. <b>Append:</b>

Do you still get the same problem if you save the movie as a DV AVI instead of WMV?
ImageImage

Claydo
Org Profile

Post by Claydo » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:06 pm

Waoh! DV-AVI file? I can't try that, it will be 960MB! But that is the only non-WMV file that it will save, huh? Umm, what about that Windows Media Encoder? How do I get that? If you think that could fix it, I'd like to try and I don't know if the dv-aiv file type would fix it so I think it would take less time for me to re-cut all the messed up parts and put them back in the video than to save the dv-avi file, unless there are some settings I can set that I don't know about.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:30 pm

Windows Media Encoder is available as a free download from Microsoft's website.

And frankly, if you're editing AMVs and you don't have enough room to save a 960 MB file on your hard drive, then you need another hard drive.
ImageImage

Claydo
Org Profile

Post by Claydo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:04 pm

Oh, it's not the size that's a problem, but I'm sure it would take too long to export: my current WMV file takes 20 minutes on my computer. Anyway, I'll go download that windows media encoder...

Claydo
Org Profile

Post by Claydo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:17 pm

Scintilla wrote:My experience with WMV files has been that random seeking to most places in any given WMV file will exhibit this problem: there'll be a few seconds of still before the video gets going properly again.

I've always guessed that it's a problem with the encoder not using enough keyframes (I-frames). You could try to counter this, I suppose, by making a custom WMV profile with Windows Media Encoder that clamps down on the maximum gap between keyframes, but other than that...

This is why I've always hated the WMV container, even though the WMV9 codec is capable of perfectly decent compressibility.
How do I do this with the Windows Media Encoder?... If you really think it will change the outcome then I could give the DV-AVI file a try... I just really want to be done with this. Also for future use, is there another free video editing prgram that is better than Windows Movie Maker that I can download somewhere?

Claydo
Org Profile

FINISHED!

Post by Claydo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:20 pm

Just so this topic doesn't stay hangin' I did get things to work out!
I exported the whole AMV multiple times using DV-AVI and it did fix parts of the video but not all of it and the parts that were fixed were different each time I exported it. To remedy this, I combined the good parts of each of those exported files and made it all good. There were two clips that didn't get fixed in any of the DV-AVI files, so I did have to re-rip those scenes and fix them all up before putting everything back into WMM to be finished. Well, eith the use fo the DV-AVI filesm I couldn't just drop the music back in and silence the video parts because the videos were timed to the speed of the DV-AVI files (that only makes sense if you read the forum topic about the DV-AVI file type) and so I just took one of the DV-AVI files and set it into the audio spot on the timeline. Doing all this did fix the problem so that I didn't have to re-do the whole AMV, but was not a quick job to fix.

Return to “Windows Movie Maker”