WMM: HELP!!! - Codec problem

For help and discussion concerning the Windows Movie Maker software.

WMM: HELP!!! - Codec problem

Postby pinky75910 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:49 am

All of a sudden, files I was able to import before, it's refusing to import now. Says something about a codec problem. HELP! Unless I can figure this out, I can amv no more!
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239
User avatar
pinky75910
 
Joined: 09 Sep 2002

Postby pinky75910 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:52 am

I think it's just AVI files. I can watch the files, I just can't get them imported.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239
User avatar
pinky75910
 
Joined: 09 Sep 2002

Postby JaddziaDax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:10 am

are they encoded in XVID or DIVX?
User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Status: I has a TRU Arceus

Postby pinky75910 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:53 am

Divx I think. I tried dling the latest divx codec, but no good.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239
User avatar
pinky75910
 
Joined: 09 Sep 2002

Postby JaddziaDax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:10 am

dont use DIVX or XVID files in your video editor... (they dont work well in ANY editor)

if anything get Virtualdub Mod and convert them to lagarith or huffyuv, or another codec that is more compatable with your editor

but beware Vdub makes large files... so you might want to clip them down to scenes, and remove the audio..


either way... good luck, and this is pointed out in the stickie at the top.
User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Status: I has a TRU Arceus

Postby Autraya » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:37 am

autraya wrote: Scintilla of the infinite patience

I'll change that to
JaddziaDax of the infinite patience if you keep this up :lol:
new banzors in the making :p
User avatar
Autraya
Zero Punctuation
 
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Location: Terra Australis
Status: old

Postby BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:49 am

JaddziaDax wrote:dont use DIVX or XVID files in your video editor... (theyto dont work well in ANY editor)

if anything get Virtualdub Mod and convert them to <s>lagarith or</s> huffyuv, or another codec that is more compatable with your editor

but beware Vdub makes large files... so you might want to clip them down to scenes, and remove the audio (no audio is much gud to import in WMM)..


either way... good luck, and this is pointed out in the stickie at the top.


but be aware the that sometimes WMM will crash just to let you know ;)
User avatar
BlaCk_PeArL_27
 
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Location: SoCal, North Hills
Status: Married and lots of Child LOL

Postby Minion » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:53 am

why do you hav lag crossed out? other than being a slower, it's superior to huffy
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
User avatar
Minion
 
Joined: 22 May 2004
Location: orlando

Postby Arigatomina » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:55 am

Minion wrote:why do you hav lag crossed out? other than being a slower, it's superior to huffy

WMM doesn't like lagarith. It's the *only* codec that crashes my copy of wmm 2.0 (compared to wmv, mpg, xvid, divx, and the preferred huffyuv). Maybe it's a memory issue, maybe it's my comp, but I'd recommend huffyuv as well. Try it out if you want, but beware - just when you think it's as good as huffyuv you add one too many clips to the timeline and bam, lockup. [note: It's the same problem Showbiz has with huffyuv - it has a clip limit if you use that codec, can't handle reading them after a certain point.]

That said, I'm starting to like lagarith for use in Premiere more than I did huffyuv. Much slower scanning through the clips, but the space saving is nice and Premiere 6.0 doesn't lock up like wmm does. ;p
User avatar
Arigatomina
 
Joined: 03 Apr 2003

Postby BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:30 pm

Arigatomina wrote:
Minion wrote:why do you hav lag crossed out? other than being a slower, it's superior to huffy

WMM doesn't like lagarith. It's the *only* codec that crashes my copy of wmm 2.0 (compared to wmv, mpg, xvid, divx, and the preferred huffyuv). Maybe it's a memory issue, maybe it's my comp, but I'd recommend huffyuv as well. Try it out if you want, but beware - just when you think it's as good as huffyuv you add one too many clips to the timeline and bam, lockup. [note: It's the same problem Showbiz has with huffyuv - it has a clip limit if you use that codec, can't handle reading them after a certain point.]

That said, I'm starting to like lagarith for use in Premiere more than I did huffyuv. Much slower scanning through the clips, but the space saving is nice and Premiere 6.0 doesn't lock up like wmm does. ;p


:roll: well it always happen to me that stuff before but instead of watching or playing it in the timeline. I try to play it in it's place before I add the clips in the timeline so it won't crash. Btw.... one more thing if you finished all you clips to convert in huffyuv. I say remove the CCCP so you can play the song and clips in WMM without crashing or locked up.

Kinda used to it I guess :roll: though I have to remove some codec if I want to save it as .wmv
User avatar
BlaCk_PeArL_27
 
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Location: SoCal, North Hills
Status: Married and lots of Child LOL

Postby JaddziaDax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:44 pm

heh, Vegas loves lagarith >.>
User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Status: I has a TRU Arceus

Postby pinky75910 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:07 pm

Wow. Lots of replies. Any idea why everything wsa working just fine and then just suddenly abandoned me? Where do I download this Virtual dub thing? Thanks for all the advice.
Making an amv, is rather like being the director of a Broadway show, where you have a million dancers and each of them only knows one step.

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=50239
User avatar
pinky75910
 
Joined: 09 Sep 2002

Postby M.H.A.Q.S. » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:23 pm

Just search google for "Virtual Dub". Everything will still be working if you do it the old way. Its just the files that make a mess of it all but WMM is also to blame.
M.H.A.Q.S.
 
Joined: 23 Nov 2004

Postby BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:50 pm

pinky75910 wrote:Wow. Lots of replies. Any idea why everything wsa working just fine and then just suddenly abandoned me? Where do I download this Virtual dub thing? Thanks for all the advice.

Ok... here the VDub for you ----> VirtualDub Download.... no sweat ;)
User avatar
BlaCk_PeArL_27
 
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Location: SoCal, North Hills
Status: Married and lots of Child LOL

Postby BlaCk_PeArL_27 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:53 pm

sorry for my 2nd post but want to know what he mean this
M.H.A.Q.S. wrote:but WMM is also to blame.

I did not get what you mean by this.... it sounds your hate WMM :uhoh:
User avatar
BlaCk_PeArL_27
 
Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Location: SoCal, North Hills
Status: Married and lots of Child LOL

Next

Return to Windows Movie Maker

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest