Max file size in After Effects?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Max file size in After Effects?

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:36 pm

I can't seem to find any information on the subject to confirm my theory, But I have a series of movie-length files (BRDs down-scaled to 720p23.98) that import and open just fine in Premire CS3, but refuse to work correctly in AE CS3. Upon import I get the following error:
After Effects error: overflow converting ratio denominators.
(17 :: 18)
This error continues to constantly pop up every time the footage needs to be rendered on the timeline... that is, until I right-click and choose Interpret Footage -> Main and Conform to frame rate X. X can be anything I want to give it, the correct frame rate, an incorrect one, whatever... i've tried 24, 23.98, 23.976... they all result in the file now working correctly in AE and the error going away. The catch, however, is that the file is only recognized as being around 22 minutes long, not the 90 to 100 minutes it should be (it's doing this for all 4 of the movies i'm using).

Is there a way to fix this? Or have I found a limitation in AE for the size of a single imported video?

----------------------------------

EDIT - I just used AD's new avisynth plugin and assumefps(23.978)'d the problem away.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

RolltheStampede
Org Profile

Re: Max file size in After Effects?

Post by RolltheStampede » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:42 pm

why would you need to import anything that long into AE in the first place?

anyway you could split it into 4 parts and put it back together in an AE composition maybe
Newest Video:Cirque du Kaliedo
Video Pimpage Loves got to be there | Sungazing | 7 Seas of Enishi

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Yeah there might be a filelength limit. In the end After Effects probably wasn't designed for such long clips.
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 pm

RolltheStampede wrote:why would you need to import anything that long into AE in the first place?
It's a standard movie length. I don't clip any more. I just dump entire DVDs to a single lossless file.
RolltheStampede wrote:anyway you could split it into 4 parts and put it back together in an AE composition maybe
I solved the problem already. Notice the edit line. I didn't want to split the files because I don't have enough extra HDD space currently to handle another 200+GB of split files.
| | |

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 am

Is it that much of a problem to export lossless clips of your timeline, edit them in AE, export lossless and paste them over the specific playes on your timeline?
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:00 am

Bauzi wrote:Is it that much of a problem to export lossless clips of your timeline, edit them in AE, export lossless and paste them over the specific playes on your timeline?
I'm basically doing that with avisynth scripts. As i've said twice now, there is no longer any problem.

That's not how Premiere and AE are supposed to work though. You're supposed to be able to import your premiere projects in AE and add in your effect work without having to do more than one, final, export.
| | |

Bauzi
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote: That's not how Premiere and AE are supposed to work though. You're supposed to be able to import your premiere projects in AE and add in your effect work without having to do more than one, final, export.
I still have a trauma of this method. I tried it with v4.1. It sucked ass. It was way too unstable with all those strange processes in the background. I take this extra time and harddisc space for the sake of spareing me a lot of trouble and frustration.

Return to “Adobe Software”