Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:07 pm

As I understand it, certain purchasers of CS3 will qualify for a special price on CS4. This is in response, no doubt, to the many people who just laid down a good chunk of change for CS3 only to find out that they're not actually buying the latest and (theoretically) greatest. They're not entirely pleased, let me tell you.

Makes me happy I'm still with CS2! :)

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:24 am

LivingFlame wrote: Besides, the price at a university store would be so cut already, I doubt they'd lower it even more.
The only problem I saw with getting some of these Academically is that some programs the don't drop. Hell I saw AE CS3 selling for MORE than the Retail. :shock: I found the best deals were to go with the bundles like CS3 Production Bundle which was something like 35% off.

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:20 pm

Krisqo wrote:
LivingFlame wrote: Besides, the price at a university store would be so cut already, I doubt they'd lower it even more.
The only problem I saw with getting some of these Academically is that some programs the don't drop. Hell I saw AE CS3 selling for MORE than the Retail. :shock: I found the best deals were to go with the bundles like CS3 Production Bundle which was something like 35% off.
I don't know where you're looking, but you need to find a better place. =\

Of course, Production Premium is always a good deal as well.
... yea ...

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:33 pm

I was looking at <a href="http:\\www.campustech.com">CampusTech</a>. God I need to get back into school so I can upgrade my software.

M1r
Org Profile

Post by M1r » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:54 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Meh, yet another totally underwhelming release of premiere pro. It's only 32-bit, and there's pretty much no new features that will be useful for amvs.

Extremely underwhelming release for After Effects as well, but it does have some interesting new features like ability to keyframe position x,y, and z values independently, and importing 3d models from photoshop.
Yea I agree with him, no significant difference, just few minor touches to make it 'sexier'. No real reason in getting CS4 if you have CS3.
"I STILL wonder...why are you reading this?..."

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:35 am

M1r wrote:
Zarxrax wrote:Meh, yet another totally underwhelming release of premiere pro. It's only 32-bit, and there's pretty much no new features that will be useful for amvs.

Extremely underwhelming release for After Effects as well, but it does have some interesting new features like ability to keyframe position x,y, and z values independently, and importing 3d models from photoshop.
Yea I agree with him, no significant difference, just few minor touches to make it 'sexier'. No real reason in getting CS4 if you have CS3.
I guess I'll put here some stuff I noticed it has that comes handy, to me at least:

1) Right click > Nest - this can be really helpful when you started doing a part and notice that it's going to be, like, a 10 tracks thing, whereas your timeline is only 3 or 4 video tracks. You can just select the clips you need, right click and nest, so premiere will automatically create a new sequence where it puts the clips you selected and put in the timeline you were working the nested comp instead of the clips.

2) You can disable frame blending on more clips at a time. Seriously, in CS3 if you forgot to do so, you had to right click > uncheck blend frames on every clip in the timeline... now you just select everything, right click and uncheck once and for all. As stupid as it might sounds, it actually helps cutting down the time wasted.

3) Right click > replace with after effects composition. As soon as you do this, AE opens up. You put whichever effects you wish in ae and, without saving, it refreshes and appers in premiere as soon as you do so. Practical example: you wanna mask a clip? Right click > replace with ae composion, then in ae, first it asks you to save the project with a name, then after you do that, you can mask out what you wish and, while keeping ae open, you go back to premiere... and the clip will be masked. It helps fastening stuff a LOT. Please Note: if you close ae while there a dynamic link in premiere, premiere will show a black clip. You'll have to reopen the project with the dynamic link in ae in order for the clip to "come back".

4) Preview is now better. You can choose to render only the effects, only the audio or everything (normal clips included). Also you can choose to remove only the effects previews instead of everything.

5) Premiere is able to properly import and edit with h.264 files (although I still prefer and suggest to use lossless files only in order to edit >.> ), and it exports as h.264 very well too - mp4 format, that is, still no love for mkv. The Adobe Media Encoder, an external application that is provided and used by every program if the creative suite 4 in order to export, but that can be used as a standalone just to compress, works really well. It seems like it also fixed the issues it had with exporting lagarith/huffyuv (I know I had that issue with cs3 and I always had to export uncompressed).

6) When making a new sequence, you can select a different framerate and/or AR etc. Now the ar and framerate settings aren't a project setting as a whole, but can be different from sequence to sequence, so if by any chance you screwed up the settings when making the project, instead of making a new project, you can just make a new sequence and delete the old one with different settings. This also can be helpful if you'd need to nest a sequence where you'd need to have a bigger AR, for example because you have to pan/scan that sequence a lot. You wouldn't have to make another project, make what you need in that project, render and import, you can just nest... which helps making things faster (you wouldn't have to re-render in the case you'd have to readjust a part of that sequence afterwards) and saving space on the hard disk too.

There are other new things, but I think that these 6 things are pretty much the most important ones when it comes down to amvs. I probably have missed something, and since I still have a beta, it's likely that they'll add something else too.

PS: if by any chance some of these things were present in cs3 too, then sorry... >.>

outlawed
Org Profile

Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

Post by outlawed » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:04 pm

CUDA support sort of =p

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/15571

Apparently only Quadro series has this plugin. Someone needs to hack one for us normal nvidia consumers!

outlawed
Org Profile

Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

Post by outlawed » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:07 pm

outlawed wrote:Apparently only Quadro series has this plugin. Someone needs to hack one for us normal nvidia consumers!
And pros too =p
http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/10 ... ed-rapihd/

Return to “Adobe Software”