how do you only capture a person in a frame?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Jasta85
Org Profile

how do you only capture a person in a frame?

Post by Jasta85 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:56 pm

i'm not sure what the exact term is called but it has been used in a number of amvs, most noticeable in Shounen Bushido, where u can take a person and overlay the person or object's image over another frame (all the anime characters singing in shounen bushido are examples). I know there is an effect which will eliminate a specific color but how do you get a cut out of a character when the background around him is a variety of colors?

Szwagier
Org Profile

Post by Szwagier » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:50 pm

By using Masks - either in After Effects or Photoshop. Basicly you are creating a shape by adding points connected by line. Then, if you use AE you can reshape it a little next frame that is a bit different, and if you use PS you must create another shape next frame that differs (propably there is some way to preserve it in PS, though since I mostly sit in AE i do not know it).
The tool to do that is called "Pen tool"

I think more details can be found here http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... 04&start=0 (though i actually hadn't read that so dunno what exactly is in there)
ImageImageImage

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:23 pm

ah, i understand how it works now, i thought of using masks, but with my current software i will be limited to just still cut outs, well, better than nothing, thanks

Sierra Lorna
Org Profile

Post by Sierra Lorna » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:23 pm

Jasta85 wrote:ah, i understand how it works now, i thought of using masks, but with my current software i will be limited to just still cut outs, well, better than nothing, thanks
Well, if you can do one frame, why not do one frame at a time until you have an animated clip? (Hence, "frame-by-frame editing") I'm assuming you're talking about an image editor like Photoshop? I do animated masks all the time with it, just by doing one frame at a time. Yeah, it's slow, but not all that much slower than doing the animated masks in After Effects.
ImageImage

Up In Flamez
Org Profile

Post by Up In Flamez » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:58 pm

Well since you are using premiere, you can do it in the premiere titler. Just make a white shape of the person, and then use the track matte effect.

Return to “Adobe Software”