Adobe After Effects Question...

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
OhmGautama
Org Profile

Adobe After Effects Question...

Post by OhmGautama » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:02 pm

Ive looked at Zarxrax's tutorial and other websites, even Adobe's tutorial but I have been unable to find an answer. Basically I import my entire amv into AE and I want to apply effects to it, however whenever I apply the effect to the video it affects the entire video (which is what I expected), but I want it only to apply to one point in the video. I am familiar with keyframes and I know you can change the values of an effect, but that doesnt mean the effect will turn off. I guess what Im asking is that is there a way to turn effects on and off, like keyframing the effect, so it only affects certain parts of the video you want. I know in Premiere Pro I just cut a segment of the video I want the effect to affect and apply the effect to that segment.

I hope this question makes sense, let me know if you need clarification :lol:

Thanks! :D
"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make"

Purge
Org Profile

Post by Purge » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:31 pm

for a simple way
theres no reason why you cant use the same vid track twice. drag your amv movie file into the timeline so you have two or more layers. you can simply then cut the part of video you want the effect applied so that the footage you only want to see with the effect is visable.

for more messier stuff you should use mulitple compsitions -

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:54 pm

Technically yes you can, but honestly, I'd wholeheartedly recommend just taking that specific clip from your Premiere timeline (or whatever program you're using), export that as a Huffyuv, and just bring it into AE, do your effects, export it back into Huffyuv, bring it back in Premiere, and replace the original. Gives you far more options and won't have you re-exporting your entire video from AE.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:41 pm

Ctrl+shift+D = split layer

OhmGautama
Org Profile

Post by OhmGautama » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Ah ok thanks for the tips all! :D
"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make"

Return to “Adobe Software”