Dual Monitor AfterEffects?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Dual Monitor AfterEffects?

Postby Gepetto » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:38 am

I've always been reluctant to do just about anything in AfterEffects because it meant havijg to look at that clustered screen full of dialogs and whatnots. Recently, I acquired a new television set (a Sony Bravia), which can be used as a clone monitor ore extended desktop. I tried but was unable to stretch AfterEffects or drag any of the dialogs onto the second monitor. I also dd not find any options in AfterEffects to support Extended Desktop Mode. So I have two questions:

1) Is it at all possible to run AfterEffects on two monitors
2) Is there any software/patch/hack/whatever that would let me set the "second monitor" to a 16:9 resolution that would better fit my TV, given that my video card's ATI Control Panel doesn't?

Thanks in advance,

--Gepetto

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Postby Willen » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:52 am

Have you installed the latest ATI drivers?

Barring that, try using PowerStrip (guide and download link HERE).
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Postby Zarxrax » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:25 am

Yea, After Effects should work fine with 2 monitors. Actually, I think I have done it myself before. What version of AE are you running?

Minion
Org Profile

Postby Minion » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:31 am

theres actually a workspace setting for it, i believe
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:15 am

I run After effects on two monitors... it works fine! Just make sure you got a video card with enough memory to handle it

Vlad

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Postby Gepetto » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:01 am

I did a little more snooping around and I managed to put AfterEffects 6.5 in two monitors. Stupid me had the window maximized so I couldn't stretch it into the second monitor before (guess I should have tried that before looking for hidden config files). Thanks a lot for your help.

Willen wrote:Have you installed the latest ATI drivers?

Barring that, try using PowerStrip (guide and download link HERE).

My drivers are updated, and I couldn't understand anything on those guides :?

I'd still like to know how to make a custom resolution, but I read the guide on custom resolution on the page Willen sent me and I think it killed a few brain cells.

If there isn't an easier way, I can try falling back on this one, but if anyone else knows a simple way to put up a 16:9 resolution (ideally 1280 X 768) I'd gratly appreciate the input.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Postby Willen » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:12 am

Gepetto wrote:If there isn't an easier way, I can try falling back on this one, but if anyone else knows a simple way to put up a 16:9 resolution (ideally 1280 X 768) I'd gratly appreciate the input.

What ATI card are you using and what resolution is your other monitor set to?

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Postby Gepetto » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:01 am

So, from now on is it a hardware problem? (oh crap wrong forum :roll: )

Both monitors are set to 1024X768 resolution.

As for the video card, it's a notebook so I think it's one of those integrated cards. Regardless, it has the ATI Control Panel installed and the Windows Device Manager says it's a Radeon IGP 340M.
And God spoke unto the Chicken, and He said: "Thou shalt crosseth the road", and the Chicken did cross the road, and there was much rejoicing.
My DeviantART profile

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Postby Willen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:28 am

Gepetto wrote:So, from now on is it a hardware problem? (oh crap wrong forum :roll: )

Both monitors are set to 1024X768 resolution.

As for the video card, it's a notebook so I think it's one of those integrated cards. Regardless, it has the ATI Control Panel installed and the Windows Device Manager says it's a Radeon IGP 340M.

I can get my hands on a laptop with a similar video chipset (Radeon IGP 345M) and experiment. But for now, I think if you are just using the ATI Control Panel, you are stuck with 1024x768 on both screens on Extended Desktop.

Gepetto
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Postby Gepetto » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Okay. Thank you very much for going to all that trouble.
My DeviantART profile

Return to “Adobe Software”