Pro vs. older versions?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.

Pro vs. older versions?

Postby CrackTheSky » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:48 pm

I'm just curious, what's the difference between "Pro" versions of Adobe products and older versions (i.e. Adobe Premiere/After Effects 7.0 Pro vs. Adobe Premiere/After Effects 6.5). The consensus, at least from what I've read around the forums, seems to be that Pro versions are worse. Why, and what eactly are the differences?
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:20 pm

Isn't it pro 1.0 and 7.0 was just the inappropriately named hacked version torrented online?
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Zarxrax » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:22 pm

Premiere Pro = has more features, prettier interface, export doesn't work right
Old Premiere = Faster, easier to do some basic functions.

Thats a very very basic explanation, from my opinion.

As far as after effects goes, every version gets better, IMO.
Zarxrax

Postby Up In Flamez » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:39 pm

i didn't premiere pro 7.0 was a hacked version, i just thought that a lot of people got confused when it went from 6.5 to 1.0 so some people renamed it 7.0?

anyway, premiere pro is a real time editor so u dont always have to render, it does have some nice new features like sequences, but i prefer the 6.X series. Also pro does a look a bit more complicated in some parts than 6.X
Up In Flamez

Postby Inuyasha the 3rd » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:22 am

In my opinion, I like Premiere Pro 2.0. Pro 1.x sucks. I like pro because it has a better interface. I didn't like Premiere 6.5 tho. :?

But I will admit that the export system sucks. But that's what Debugmode Frameserver is there for. :P
Inuyasha the 3rd

Postby BauziOLD » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:32 am

I hated the interface of 6.x
I didn´t worked with it until I got 1.5 Pro (and I still work with it).

An other question:
I was working with the pretty cool FXhome Effects Lab Pro Trial and I never worked or "saw" After Effects.
Are the effects in both programms nearly the same? Can AE more with effects? what is better?

Get the trial:
www.fxhome.com

I know, that Effects Lab is only for effects and AE also for editing (even if it is recommend to do the pure edits in Premiere).
Also the price for Effects Lab DV (not pro) is under 100$, so it is "easier" to purchase.
ImageImageImage
BauziOLD

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby Scintilla » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:16 am

Premiere Pro (please, don't ever call it Premiere 7.0) expresses coordinates for all effects that need them in terms of pixels, rather than the somewhat arbitrary-feeling coordinates the older versions had for their Motion settings (remember those?). This just might be its biggest plus.

It also allows you to put video transitions on ANY track, not just Video 1, though this means that you don't get the whole "A/B" style for Video 1 anymore.

It also has the Garbage Matte, rather than the cheap box with handles in the Transparency settings of the older versions. :D

As for negatives: You can't change any of the basic project settings once your project is created (though you can import a project into a new one with different settings), and -- this is probably the most annoying part -- Premiere Pro will only render preview files for sections it doesn't think it can play back in realtime (white mattes in higher video tracks at 0% opacity are a good way of forcing it to preview).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby CrackTheSky » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:22 pm

Scintilla wrote:Premiere Pro (please, don't ever call it Premiere 7.0)

Yeah sorry, I've seen it called both 7.0 and Pro 1.x; I wasn't sure which one was correct :/

Scintilla wrote:It also allows you to put video transitions on ANY track, not just Video 1, though this means that you don't get the whole "A/B" style for Video 1 anymore.

On a side note, I've always wondered what A/B editing is.
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Postby NarutoxFlame » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:20 pm

i dont like premiere pro 1, i just import a small clip and it starts not responding(and i even have a 3.5 ghz processor and radeon vid card)
life is suicide
NarutoxFlame

Postby Scintilla » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:05 pm

NarutoxFlame wrote:i dont like premiere pro 1, i just import a small clip and it starts not responding(and i even have a 3.5 ghz processor and radeon vid card)

1. Video card has nothing to do with it
2. Prescotts suck
3. Before you go blaming Premiere, tell us what format/codec was the clip?
ImageImage
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby SQ » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:14 am

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but what's the deal with audio, timecode, stills, and in-built special effects? Are these any different between 6.x and Premiere Pro 2?

I heard stills were better handled in Pro, and that was the only reason I bothered thinking about upgrading. But I also heard a nasty rumor that rubberbands were no more(But people said there weren't rubber bands in FCP either, and there are, so.... 0o)?

And I'm wondering if it's Pro 2 that automatically synchs timecodes between different cameras(since I will be using Premiere for more than just AMVs), of if I got that mixed up with some other editing program?

Oh, and how is the export feature broken? Any more broken than Premiere 6.x, where you had to pull it through Vdub anyway?
-SQ™
Changes are good. Wait until you've seen mine.
Latest video - Family (Oct 3, 2013)
SQ
Doesn't have a title

Postby Scintilla » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:28 am

SQ wrote:But I also heard a nasty rumor that rubberbands were no more(But people said there weren't rubber bands in FCP either, and there are, so.... 0o)?

Not true. Rubberbands are still there; you just have to change the track view settings to see them. Personally, I never use them anymore anyway; I find it faster to keyframe opacity values directly in the Effect Controls window.
ImageImage
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Willen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:38 am

Unless you are working with Hi-Def video (HDV, DVCPRO HD, HDCAM, XDCAM HD, etc.), upgrading to Pro 2.0 isn't a must. Even then, most of the HD source captures require third party software/hardware.

You'd probably want to download the trial from Adobe and check those things out yourself (rubberbands, timecode sync, and image support).
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image
Willen
Now in Hi-Def!

Postby SQ » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:46 am

Yeah, if all goes well I'd be getting the panasonic dvx100B as well, so I figured pro 2 would help out with that and AMVs.

But you're right, probably should just get un-lazy and download the trial. X|
-SQ™
Changes are good. Wait until you've seen mine.
Latest video - Family (Oct 3, 2013)
SQ
Doesn't have a title

Postby HoshiNoKaze » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:53 am

Lemme know if pro handles 24p good in case I get a Canon XL2...

As of right now I use Premiere 6.5 for basic editing, AE 7.0 for anything else + final output for virtualdubmod encoding. I just like the light and fluffyness of 6.5 as opposed to pro...true pro does a lot more and it's interpolations and fx are waaay nicer than the older premiere, but I never used any of the effects (about the only thing i'd use is cross dissolve) in premiere.

my $.02
HoshiNoKaze

Next

Return to Adobe Software