After Effects Alone?

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
hydrax
Org Profile

After Effects Alone?

Post by hydrax » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:57 pm

I'm thinking of learning to fully use after effects 7.0 pro for making amv's (using vegas atm), is it a good idea to do everything needed to make an amv in after effects? (example: something like Whisper of the beast made in after effects only). Or should I use premier 2.0 pro alongside or something, any suggestions would be great. (I know that after effects is layer based blabla while non-linear software like premier and vegas allow clips on the same layer as long as they don't overlap etc...)

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Re: After Effects Alone?

Post by dokool » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:37 pm

hydrax wrote:I'm thinking of learning to fully use after effects 7.0 pro for making amv's (using vegas atm), is it a good idea to do everything needed to make an amv in after effects? (example: something like Whisper of the beast made in after effects only). Or should I use premier 2.0 pro alongside or something, any suggestions would be great. (I know that after effects is layer based blabla while non-linear software like premier and vegas allow clips on the same layer as long as they don't overlap etc...)
You *can* edit totally in AE, but you shouldn't - I suggest using Premiere for editing and AE for effects like everyone else does.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:00 pm

I like to think of a video editor like vegas or premiere as being for cuts and fades, and all other needs can be done better in something else. If you plan to use cuts or fades in your video... then I would DEFINATELY keep an editing app around. That's their primary purpose, after all.

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:23 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I like to think of a video editor like vegas or premiere as being for cuts and fades, and all other needs can be done better in something else. If you plan to use cuts or fades in your video... then I would DEFINATELY keep an editing app around. That's their primary purpose, after all.
yeah, keep them around, but its completely possible to edit fully in AE... hell i made 3 videos using just AE... it takes a LOT longer to edit the videos... but best of luck....

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:38 pm

It definately takes getting used to if you're trying to do anything substantially long in AE. I don't know why, it just has a diferent feel to it.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

hydrax
Org Profile

Post by hydrax » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:40 am

thanks guys, just one more question, ive been using vegas and im pretty comfortable with it, however do you think learning to use premier 2.0 pro is better? is it a better non-linear editor? I just wanna get teh best outta the stuff I make... thanks again^^

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:25 am

Nah, if you are comfortable with it I'd say just stick with it. They are probably about equal, or maybe vegas is a little better.

Melanchthon
Org Profile

Post by Melanchthon » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:37 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I like to think of a video editor like vegas or premiere as being for cuts and fades, and all other needs can be done better in something else.
Why do you need such an expensive program for cuts and fades?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:20 pm

Show me a cheaper one that will do the job just as good and quickly, and I would gladly change. However, I have tried many, many editing apps over the years, and have still yet to find one that works as well as Premiere 6.x.

Moonie
Give me some candy!
Org Profile

Post by Moonie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:35 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Show me a cheaper one that will do the job just as good and quickly, and I would gladly change. However, I have tried many, many editing apps over the years, and have still yet to find one that works as well as Premiere 6.x.
How about Edit Studio?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Adobe Software”