premiere pro

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:15 pm

No. SSE2 is not something you can install.

SSE2 is a CPU feature, it's an instruction set that a CPU can have built into it. The Athlon XP+ series did not have SSE2, they only had MMX, MMX2 and SSE1. You will have to use Premiere Pro 1.0 or 1.5. 2.0 is not supported by your computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2

Learn more about SSE2 here.

thebattosai
Org Profile

Post by thebattosai » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:36 pm

well is it worth it to change my processor to AMD 64 3000+?

i have a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ ...is it worth it? i mean from what i read, the 64 runs a 1.8 ghz and the xp 2800 i have runs on 2.18ghz......any suggestions?
hey..its the battosai...alright:S

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:38 pm

thebattosai wrote:well is it worth it to change my processor to AMD 64 3000+?
Keep in mind that you would have to get a new motherboard (Socket 754, 939, or AM2) as well when doing your cost/benefit analysis.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:55 pm

you also can't judge a cpu solely based on the clock.
this benchmark along with this benchmark (higher is better in these two cases) should be enough to illistrate the performance difference between the XP and athlon 64 line

bottom line: if you're willing to spend between 100 and 300 dollars, it's definately worth it (estimate includes cpu, motherboard and a new power supply should you need one)

benchmarks are not always an accurate measure of real-world situations, but athlon 64 shoul definately show improvements in every area of performance

thebattosai
Org Profile

Post by thebattosai » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:32 pm

when i run after effects or premiere pro 1.0...it slows my comp down ALOT. It freezes sometimes and really gets complicated if i have another program open...like windows messenger or word or even a folder open...is this normal?

and if i switch to AMD 64 will it improve?

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:49 pm

it can improve, but the memory also determines how fast/smooth your computer runs.

Premiere uses a lot of your computer's memory (AE uses even more), if you have other programs open/have a very complicated section in your video it can drastically reduce performance.

lets say that you are running these programs with your XP 2800 and 512MB of ram. Windows XP takes a chunk of your memory to run (probably around 200-300MB of ram). Now add on top of that premiere (in my experience, premiere takes about 100 - 150MB of ram), other programs take more ram...and soon, you're out of memory to use.

sometime before this happens, windows starts to use virtual memory (a part of your hard drive that is used like ram). virtual memory is a lot slower than physical memory (ram) which makes your performance even worse (but it beats the alternative)

if you try the same things with a better cpu (which takes care of tasks faster) and more memory (faster timings help too, but this isn't as crucial) you will without a doubt increase system performance.

I was doing fine with an Athlon 64 3200 and 512MB ram...but I upgraded to 1GB ram (keep in mind that this is a laptop I'm talking about) because I was getting memory access violations. but with AE, I wouldn't want to run it with anything less than 1GB of ram.

out of curiosity, what are your system specs?

thebattosai
Org Profile

Post by thebattosai » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:05 pm

Thanks allot...u rlly helped

but in order to upgrade to AMD 64 i need a new mother board rite?
thats not gud...

i dont have a full system specs but i o know

AMD athlon xp 2800+ 2.18 GHz
512 RAM
50 Gs of free space on main hardrive
and a external 80 gig hardrive

thebattosai
Org Profile

Post by thebattosai » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:08 pm

if i cn find tho cash for it...i'll go with the upgrade to AMD 64 and upgrade in RAM...

but if i cnt..i'll just buy a 1 Gig ram stick...and have 2 satisfy with that.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:33 pm

if you do upgrade, this mobo and this cpu only add up to $130
need to get a new power supply? total comes to $150

unfortunately, ram is the most expensive part of this upgrade (~$120), and since the mobo manufacturer didn't make it easy to find ram compatibility...you'd probably have to get Kingston or Corsair.

thebattosai
Org Profile

Post by thebattosai » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:44 pm

thnks alot

one more question....as you can see i'm a bit new to computing and their specs...so exactly what is cache....

Return to “Adobe Software”