Premiere 5.5.2: Corrupting Video Clips While Editing

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
Tarage
Org Profile

Premiere 5.5.2: Corrupting Video Clips While Editing

Post by Tarage » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:25 am

A long time ago I used a much older version of Premiere to edit my videos. It didn't have as many fancy features, but it worked. Now, I'm concerned. I'm using 5.5.2 and it's actively corrupting my video files as I edit them. A clip that I will scroll through that is smooth in the source material will become choppy the more I view it, skipping frames and repeating frames as if it's stuttering. Places where I put clip beginnings and ends will shift a few frames with no modification on my part. Worse yet, these errors seem to propagate back to the source material in the project.

The original files I had were MKV, but since Adobe doesn't support them I used a conversion tool to convert them to WMV. Was this a mistake? Is this a common problem with 5.5.2? Does anyone have any advice as to how to fix this before it eats all the progress I've made so far?

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Re: Premiere 5.5.2: Corrupting Video Clips While Editing

Post by Mister Hatt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm

WMV is quite possibly the worst container ever created due to it's hacky VFR magic that nobody understands. If you're converting from MKV to something else for Adobe, use m2ts.

Tarage
Org Profile

Re: Premiere 5.5.2: Corrupting Video Clips While Editing

Post by Tarage » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks. I ended up going with mp4 and yeah, it works a lot better now.

Return to “Adobe Software”