Premiere Pro CS5.5 Problem Importing H.264

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.
death11
Org Profile

Premiere Pro CS5.5 Problem Importing H.264

Post by death11 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:14 pm

As the title suggests i am having a problem importing H.264 files into Premiere. Whenever i attempt to do so an error appears telling me that the file type is not supported. Is there any way around this or will i have to convert all my files to another format?

Thanks in advance for the help

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: Premiere Pro CS5.5 Problem Importing H.264

Post by Kariudo » Tue May 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Are you sure you have CS5 and not Premiere 5.5? (which is much older, and not a 64-bit program)
CS5 supports MP4, but not MKV...and 5.5 wouldn't support either.

Either way, it's a bad idea to edit with H.264 encoded footage unless you encoded it yourself using specific options.

You can re-encode small portions of your footage with a lossless codec such as utvideo/Lagarith/Huffyuv through virtualdub (though you'll need to write an avisynth script to get your file to load). I say small portions because lossless codec = hueg leik xbox files.

Another way is to use pwolf's avisynth plugin for CS5. Takes more time to set up, but it means you aren't taking up space with lossless clips

Read <a href=http://www.a-m-v.org/guides/avtech31/>ErMaC & AbsoluteDestiny's Friendly AMV Guides Lovingly Overhauled Largely by Zarxrax</a>. It goes over some avisynth basics, and how to use virtualdub (among other things). Also, the amvapp gives you avisynth, vdub and some other useful things including an avisynth plugin for premiere 5.5 - premiere pro CS4 which would be much less work to install than the CS5 one.

death11
Org Profile

Post by death11 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:09 pm

I just got the whole new CS 5.5 Master Collection 64-bit (after CS5)

I am using extracted footage from an Mkv file but using MKVExtract I extracted the Video only which is in the format of .h264

Thanks for the plugin link I will try that and see if it works

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Post by Mister Hatt » Thu May 12, 2011 7:40 am

Adobe don't like elementary streams, you need to remux your demuxed video into m2ts or MP4. I would recommend m2ts for assured seeking I guess. It is actually possible to add MKV support to CS, and not particularly hard either, you need to write a tiny plugin for editing the container whitelist IIRC.

Return to “Adobe Software”