Just about nothing can rip the third volume of When They Cry

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
Krankhaus
Org Profile

Just about nothing can rip the third volume of When They Cry

Post by Krankhaus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 am

Over a week ago I purchased the American import, (just to throw that in, just in case, since it's not licenced in Australia) of the Viridian complete set of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, or named When They Cry in the English dub.

I've been meaning to get serious with AMVs for a while, and read up on A&E's Technical Guides to All Things Audio and Video which I learnt a ridiculous amount information from.
DVDFab had no problem ripping the first and second volumes, however it stumbles on the third volume. I'm not sure whether the CSS on it is tighter, especially since the Viridian When They Cry was released this year, or if it's because it's simply defective. I've tried giving it a quick clean with a cloth, and that hasn't helped, but it looks like it has tiny scratches on it. I'm more leaning towards the idea of the CSS since it didn't rip the first time I took the disc out of the case.

I've used DVDFab, AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink.

With DVDFab, it comes up with a reading error, and then when I try to rip with PathPlayer on, it picks up about 38 errors. I've tried ignoring all of them but that just scrambles up the ripped video.

With the rest of them, they all pick up errors as well, requiring me to abort the ripping. Ithink either AnyDVD or DVD Decrypter said it was a defective DVD.

I haven't tried ripping volumes four, five and six yet, because I don't like the idea of ripping in a disorderly fashion, strangely.

Should I be changing any other settings in any of these programs, or am I just no where near a solution?
My only other option is to borrow the same volume from a friend, who purchased the exact same import, and try ripping that.

Mister Hatt
Org Profile

Re: Just about nothing can rip the third volume of When They Cry

Post by Mister Hatt » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Sounds like it really is a defective DVD. Grab off a friend, if their's works, get your copy replaced by the store.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:34 pm

I've heard of people having problems with the Viridian discs. I don't have any myself, so I can't say for sure, but different copy-obfuscation techniques can be used on different discs from the same series. So the first couple might not have them, but vol.3 might. You may be running into ARccOS, which is deliberate sector corruption.

The only pieces of advice I can give are to make sure any decryption/ripping software you use is the latest available version, and try on different DVD drives. It may be the particular drive you're attempting to use that's hitting a snag somewhere in addition to the protection errors on the disc.

Have you tried using DVD Decrypter's Read mode to copy the entire disc to the HDD as an ISO file? If you can manage that you could then use Virtual Clone Drive or Daemon Tools Lite to mount the image file and do the rip normally.

Or, you may even have to look at using a Mac to do it.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:32 am

You can also try makeMKV. You will have to extract the vobs from the MKV file after it is done, but it is another option, and different rippers behave differently.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Krankhaus
Org Profile

Post by Krankhaus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:55 am

Thank you for the advise. However, I don't know why or how, but my dad ripped the disc with AnyDVD, same version, and it worked without picking up errors or scrambling. It might be because he has the full version, while I had the trial.

I will take note of your advise either way, for future issues.

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Qyot27 wrote:Daemon Tools Lite to mount the image file and do the rip normallly
this, for 4+
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “AviSynth Help”