Zarx264 and crashing

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Zarx264 and crashing

Post by Krisqo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:18 pm

So I'm trying to convert a video using zarx264Gui and it runs along fine for a few minutes and then my whole computer shuts off. I've tried it several times with all my background programs closed and it still does it. It is upgraded to the most recent version Zarx has posted on the forums so it's not that. Any Ideas?

Code: Select all

AVISource("E:\Exports\Main Comp.avi")
ConvertToYV12()
LanczosResize(832,512)

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Zarx264 and crashing

Post by mirkosp » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Mmmmmmh... have you tried going to the bat tab, create a bat, and then run that to encode? If so, does the pc still shut down? Trying to isolate the issue, here, if it still shuts down, then it's some problem with x264 rather than the gui, and updating x264 itself might help (although I never had this issue with any of the x264 builds I used nor have I heard about it before).
If, on the other hand, the encode runs fine, then it's some issue with the gui and zarx will have to check out the code of the gui, I guess.

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:06 pm

mirkosp wrote:Mmmmmmh... have you tried going to the bat tab, create a bat, and then run that to encode? If so, does the pc still shut down? Trying to isolate the issue, here, if it still shuts down, then it's some problem with x264 rather than the gui, and updating x264 itself might help (although I never had this issue with any of the x264 builds I used nor have I heard about it before).
If, on the other hand, the encode runs fine, then it's some issue with the gui and zarx will have to check out the code of the gui, I guess.
Sorry if I'm a little tech-retarded but what and how do I make bat? I see it in the gui, but I have no idea what to do with it.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:39 pm

If your whole pc is shutting down that sounds like your cpu could be failing. Have you overclocked your cpu?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:36 pm

Krisqo wrote:
mirkosp wrote:Mmmmmmh... have you tried going to the bat tab, create a bat, and then run that to encode? If so, does the pc still shut down? Trying to isolate the issue, here, if it still shuts down, then it's some problem with x264 rather than the gui, and updating x264 itself might help (although I never had this issue with any of the x264 builds I used nor have I heard about it before).
Sorry if I'm a little tech-retarded but what and how do I make bat? I see it in the gui, but I have no idea what to do with it.
In essence, a .bat file is to Windows what AviSynth is to a video file. Just a series of commands stored in a script and executed - by the OS itself, in this case. The simplest ones are just regular command-line operations put on new lines so that the next operation runs after the last one is finished. This way you could have one line that encodes your audio, one line that encodes your video, and a third to mux them together into your container of choice. And all of this will be done automatically, without you needing to come back and do it yourself (in most cases, anyway).

All you have to do once you have the .bat file is double-click on it. Windows will do the rest.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:41 pm

Use Task Manager or Norton System Doctor or whatever you want to check your CPU usage while the encode is running. If the CPU's being maxed out, then your system may just be failing due to overheating -- my solution for this back in the days when I had that problem was to remove the case cover (side panel).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:11 am

Zarxrax wrote:If your whole pc is shutting down that sounds like your cpu could be failing. Have you overclocked your cpu?
Nope.
Qyot27 wrote:In essence, a .bat file is to Windows what AviSynth is to a video file. Just a series of commands stored in a script and executed - by the OS itself, in this case. The simplest ones are just regular command-line operations put on new lines so that the next operation runs after the last one is finished. This way you could have one line that encodes your audio, one line that encodes your video, and a third to mux them together into your container of choice. And all of this will be done automatically, without you needing to come back and do it yourself (in most cases, anyway).

All you have to do once you have the .bat file is double-click on it. Windows will do the rest.
Sounds simple enough. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Scintilla wrote:Use Task Manager or Norton System Doctor or whatever you want to check your CPU usage while the encode is running. If the CPU's being maxed out, then your system may just be failing due to overheating -- my solution for this back in the days when I had that problem was to remove the case cover (side panel).
Hope not. It's a relativly new CPU. What confuses me is that it only happened when I used the zarx264gui. But when I tried VDubMod, no crash. Tossed in 4 nonstop hours of gaming on it. No crash. But I'll run the gui again tomorrow and see what I come up with.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:19 am

Krisqo wrote:Hope not. It's a relativly new CPU. What confuses me is that it only happened when I used the zarx264gui. But when I tried VDubMod, no crash. Tossed in 4 nonstop hours of gaming on it. No crash. But I'll run the gui again tomorrow and see what I come up with.
x264 can easily max out all of the cores on a cpu. Virtualdub will only use 1 core unless you are using a codec that is multithreaded (most codecs aren't), and the games you are playing might not be utilizing all of your cpu cores fully.

To test if the problem is your cpu, i'd recommend running prime95 for a while and see if anything happens. Get the version that is appropriate for your operating system:
32bit: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103
64bit: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Krisqo wrote:Hope not. It's a relativly new CPU. What confuses me is that it only happened when I used the zarx264gui. But when I tried VDubMod, no crash. Tossed in 4 nonstop hours of gaming on it. No crash. But I'll run the gui again tomorrow and see what I come up with.
x264 can easily max out all of the cores on a cpu. Virtualdub will only use 1 core unless you are using a codec that is multithreaded (most codecs aren't), and the games you are playing might not be utilizing all of your cpu cores fully.

To test if the problem is your cpu, i'd recommend running prime95 for a while and see if anything happens. Get the version that is appropriate for your operating system:
32bit: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103
64bit: http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205
Looks like it is the CPU. Computer shut off before the any test could be completed (use the Blend test thing). Guess i gotta start saving for a new one.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Krisqo wrote:Looks like it is the CPU. Computer shut off before the any test could be completed (use the Blend test thing). Guess i gotta start saving for a new one.
The problem is that your CPU is overheating. It could be that a fan inside your PC has failed, or something like that.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”