Zarx264 and crashing

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Re: Zarx264 and crashing

Post by Krisqo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Krisqo wrote:Looks like it is the CPU. Computer shut off before the any test could be completed (use the Blend test thing). Guess i gotta start saving for a new one.
The problem is that your CPU is overheating. It could be that a fan inside your PC has failed, or something like that.
Just did a check of my fans (thank god for clear cases) and all my fans are running. I remember a friend said that having too many fans could cause more heat. I'm using a thermaltake V1 case. Got one intake fan in the front. One big exhaust on the side, two in the back, and one on the top. Plus the heatsink fan.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:01 pm

Did you check the one that's attached directly to the cpu?
Edit: nevermind, I guess you already answered that

If you just need to encode something in the meantime, you could try telling Zarx264gui to only use 1 thread in the advanced settings tab.
Oh, and you might want to try checking in your BIOS settings to make sure your cpu didn't get overclocked somehow, or maybe even try underclocking it a little bit. (search google for overclocking guides)

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:35 pm

Krisqo wrote:
Zarxrax wrote:
Krisqo wrote:Looks like it is the CPU. Computer shut off before the any test could be completed (use the Blend test thing). Guess i gotta start saving for a new one.
The problem is that your CPU is overheating. It could be that a fan inside your PC has failed, or something like that.
Just did a check of my fans (thank god for clear cases) and all my fans are running. I remember a friend said that having too many fans could cause more heat. I'm using a thermaltake V1 case. Got one intake fan in the front. One big exhaust on the side, two in the back, and one on the top. Plus the heatsink fan.
Is your cpu heatsink clogged with dust?

if not, then it may be that your heatsink isn't seated properly. If you have some thermal paste, a coffee filter or glass cleaning cloth that you can sacrifice, and some rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol you can try removing the heatsink, cleaning the cpu and heatsink with the cloth/filter & alcohol and reapply thermal paste and hope you get a better fit.

Are you using a stock heatsink/fan? If so, you should probably turn your side exhaust fan around so it's feeding your cpu hsf with cool air, instead of having it fight (and probably win) against the smaller cpu fan.

If you have tons of cables dangling everywhere, you're killing the airflow in your case. Try pushing cables to the bottom of your case, or to the side the motherboard is seated on. The ribbon cables for IDE hard drives are airflow killers, if nothing else you should push these as out of the way as possible (doesn't really matter how mangled they get)

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:15 am

Just got the problem fixed tonight. Turns out the thermal paste was slightly burnt which was causing my CPU temp to shoot up to about 120c when encoding. Cleaned the heat sink, added some new paste and my temps have been cut by more than half.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:07 am

Krisqo wrote:Turns out the thermal paste was slightly burnt which was causing my CPU temp to shoot up to about 120c when encoding.
O_o Good lord!! And the default auto-shutoff temperature in my motherboard's BIOS is 70 C, and I thought THAT was hot...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”